ADVERTISEMENT

Mary Ashley Groot commits

That is a rhetorical question with an obvious answer. The entire nation loses recruits from nowhere to UConn if UConn wants them :)
Not necessarily. UConn recruited Brittany Rayburn and she rebuffed them and played her BB career at Purdue for SV. If Purdue continues to grow and succeed under Katie losing Indiana homegrown recruits to UConn should happen less and less.

That is a rhetorical question with an obvious answer. The entire nation loses recruits from nowhere to UConn if UConn wants them :)
Not necessarily. UConn recruited Brittany Rayburn and she rebuffed them and played her BB career at Purdue for SV. If Purdue continues to grow and succeed under Katie losing to UConn should happen less and less

Nothing but respect for Katie...she needs a Frank Kendrick though imho. This will come in time. If this program truly wants to be a top 20 program again it starts and ends with recruiting. And all the elite programs have assistants who are elite recruiters. Not worried about it...its part of the process. It'll happen in due time.

I agree that for us to up a level we need to consistently land the Top 25 recruits. That said, Katie's only been hired for a year, so I'll be patient, and her 2023 class is solid.

WBB recruiting is a lot more important because players tend to stay for 4 years. Imagine you get John Wall or Zion Williamson and they play 4 years for you. That's why landing those stars is really huge.

I live in NYC, and Dalton is *THE* blue blood private school. The kids' parents are likely the super rich, and Barron Trump was a student there before Trump became President. I am not surprised that Groot is also considering Harvard, Princeton, and USC, but I'm surprised that she picks us (a public school) over them. That said, I fully agree with her - you choose the place where the people keep putting a smile on you.

While we are at it, what happened to our 2022 recruits? It seems like both Jones and Layden took a noticeable step back in their junior year from their sophomore year:

Jones, 17.5 / 4.3 / 3.5 / 4.2 (sophomore) -> 11.6 / 4.2 / 3.8 / 3.2 (junior)
Layden, 22.9 / 8.5 / 6.1 / 3.5 (sophomore) -> 22.1 / 6.2 / 4.1 / 3.2 (junior)

At least Monson does better, and I can't find the numbers for Swanson:
Monson, 7.6 / 3.1 / 0.7 / 0.9 (sophomore) -> 11 / 4.5 / 0.8 / 1.8 (junior)

How does Katie lose a top 5 HS national recruit from here in Noblesville In to UConn? How does that happen? Katie shouldn't be losing those recruiting battles and hopefully she doesn't in coming years as her program becomes stabilized and garners more success. Those are the recruiting situations she needs to start winning. What if Stephanie White had gone to UConn? They can be game changers for your program.
As soon as Ashlynn got the UConn offer, everyone knew that’s where she was going. It was her dream school.

Oh, and Ashlynn isn’t at Noblesville anymore.

How does Katie lose a top 5 HS national recruit from here in Noblesville In to UConn? How does that happen? Katie shouldn't be losing those recruiting battles and hopefully she doesn't in coming years as her program becomes stabilized and garners more success. Those are the recruiting situations she needs to start winning. What if Stephanie White had gone to UConn? They can be game changers for your program.
You really believe Katie should have out recruited UConn her first year?? Well enough said. That certainly explains your many criticisms🙈🤣🙈🤣🙈.

The delusion on this board is unreal. Y’all know we won a natty before these recruits were even thought of right? Good grief

You really believe Katie should have out recruited UConn her first year?? Well enough said. That certainly explains your many criticisms🙈🤣🙈🤣🙈.
It's an elite player in her backyard.. Noblesville is 65 minutes away from Purdue's campus. Katie's prominent HS and college history in Indiana is tremendous, she's a household name in Indiana, etc... Those are the recruits that you don't miss out on... I don't care if it's her first year or not. Just my opinion

It's an elite player in her backyard.. Noblesville is 65 minutes away from Purdue's campus. Katie's prominent HS and college history in Indiana is tremendous, she's a household name in Indiana, etc... Those are the recruits that you don't miss out on... I don't care if it's her first year or not. Just my opinion
Sorry, KG was just another good player on a team that didn't achieve anything of note during her 4 years at Purdue. She is not a household name, not even in most homes of HS women's bball players. Also, you only get to Noblesville from WLaf in 65 minutes by jet.... by car its a couple of hours and change.

CKG may be successful here as a coach, but some of the absolutely ridiculous claims attributed to her by the faithful here are insane. She was not hired because the AD had any belief in her ability (he flat out doesn't care about WBBall), it was because she checked the only two boxes (coaching experience and former Purdue wbb player) he cared about and Stephanie White was unavailable when he pulled the trigger, THANK GOODNESS!!!! He did her no favors jumping her up so many levels all at once, and if she succeeds it will be on absolute talent and force of will and not because she was prepared for this level of competition.

Starting to think Michael is a Sharon Versyp or Terri Moren burner account.
ROFL, I didn't like SV after year 4 and accurately predicted she would take us to the bottom of the league back then.... It's one of the reasons Des dislikes me, I keep proving him wrong

Sorry, KG was just another good player on a team that didn't achieve anything of note during her 4 years at Purdue. She is not a household name, not even in most homes of HS women's bball players. Also, you only get to Noblesville from WLaf in 65 minutes by jet.... by car its a couple of hours and change.

CKG may be successful here as a coach, but some of the absolutely ridiculous claims attributed to her by the faithful here are insane. She was not hired because the AD had any belief in her ability (he flat out doesn't care about WBBall), it was because she checked the only two boxes (coaching experience and former Purdue wbb player) he cared about and Stephanie White was unavailable when he pulled the trigger, THANK GOODNESS!!!! He did her no favors jumping her up so many levels all at once, and if she succeeds it will be on absolute talent and force of will and not because she was prepared for this level of competition.
Those are the recruiting battles you can't lose....they're game changers.

Those are the recruiting battles you can't lose....they're game changers.
Those are the ones she has no hope of winning, she's an unknown coach with very little D1 recruiting experience and only one year of coaching experience at D1 where any of the elite players MAY have heard of her. They were in diapers when she played, and no one cares about Marion basketball.

Those are the ones she has no hope of winning, she's an unknown coach with very little D1 recruiting experience and only one year of coaching experience at D1 where any of the elite players MAY have heard of her. They were in diapers when she played, and no one cares about Marion basketball.
How did Purdue get Katie Gearlds? How did they get Stephanie White? Purdue WBB has gotten several top 10 national recruits over the years. I get that the College WBB landscape has changed and SV set the program back decades, but Katie has to start winning these recruiting battles and not shy away from them. She has to win those battles.

• Wow
Reactions: MichaelRR
How did Purdue get Katie Gearlds? How did they get Stephanie White? Purdue WBB has gotten several top 10 national recruits over the years. I get that the College WBB landscape has changed and SV set the program back decades, but Katie has to start winning these recruiting battles and not shy away from them. She has to win those battles.
Purdue started getting good when they hired an experienced and very respected head coach in Lynn Dunn. Even then it took her several years to start winning recruiting battles against the elite programs of her era. You start by getting several top 50 players and developing them into All Americans, that is how Geno did it, how Dunn did it, how McGraw did it. Then you get ranked and start pulling upsets on top 10 programs. Then you make a Final Four, THEN you can start going toe to toe with the top programs on elite recruits in your backyard. By the Time Gearlds was recruited we were a top 5 program starting to slide down, going toe to toe with UTenn and winning on more important recruits than Gearlds. And Katie Gearlds and the other MCDs AA she came in with Erin Lawless unfortunately won nothing of note and were part of the decline under Curry and into Versyp. In large part because both Gearlds and Lawless were poor and frankly lazy defenders which is part of the reason UTenn somewhat cooled on recruiting her.

You acknowledge that SV set the program back decades, yet EXPECT recruiting to bounce back to our highest levels after one mediocre year? It really makes me doubt you know much of anything about women's basketball. Even at our best, we did not win all, or even most of the recruiting battles with UConn, UTenn and ND. That is unlikely to change. We are probaly 10 years or more or UConn cratering from being able to recruit successfully against them and the other elites, and that's IF CKG is very successful learning how to be a D1 Power 5 coach, IF we develop or hire an elite recruiting assistant, IF we can make a Final Four, and if CKG is successful enough to last that long without getting fired. Play the Powerball, you will get close to the same odds.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
Just want to make sure everyone understands that to get many of the top recruits Dunn broke alot of NCAA rules(Not that she was any different than other schools recruiting at the top level).

Reactions: Boilermb
I don't know what to think about who we get. Last year I thought, with all the hype, I was looking forward to seeing Addiston Potts. She has barely touched the floor. So I have just got to the point it is just wait and see.

Reactions: DocRon
I don't know what to think about who we get. Last year I thought, with all the hype, I was looking forward to seeing Addiston Potts. She has barely touched the floor. So I have just got to the point it is just wait and see.
Agree, I really thought Addison Potts would see minutes this year. Seemed to have a certain swagger about her based on what little I could glean from CKG’s comments and some Twitter posts prior to her arrival at Purdue. She and Stoddard were 2 freshmen I hoped to see at least some during this season.
Hope they are progressing, working hard, etc to get playing time next season.
Above all, I hope they are not frustrated

Reactions: DocRon
i consider this her first real recruiting class of her Purdue career. It doesn't have stars but I think she's getting her first real taste of P5 program recruiting and it will take some time to get stars to want to come to Purdue. I also think that she needs some assistants who are better recruiters, who have experience recruiting and signing elite players. That too will come in time imho.
Linn Dunn was a great recruiter and had two solid assistants in Gail Goestinkoers and Tom Colleen. Both became successful Power 5 HC’s.

Reactions: Purduer
ROFL, I didn't like SV after year 4 and accurately predicted she would take us to the bottom of the league back then.... It's one of the reasons Des dislikes me, I keep proving him wrong.
You and I both soured on her early. I have no problem praising you when you are right and we both called SV as the wrong coach. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Most know it is Marian like Maid Marian from Sherwood Forest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT