ADVERTISEMENT

Marvin Grant in the Portal

Nothing shocks me anymore. Chasing a NIL deal or sees Graham/Jefferson taking his playing time. Hopefully he decides to come back but if not his coverage skills are replaceable.

Did not see this coming.

Would have to think he got passed up or thought he'd get passed up, which is kind of good news for our team because Grant is a pretty good football player..

Can't imagine he'd leave for NIL that couldn't possibly be all that much.

Reactions: pboiler18
i thought i read somewhere that graham was shifting from linebacker back to a more "quasi" safety role. maybe grant felt he was being replaced by allen and graham. and didn't want to be that 5th back.

Hate to see it, but he was hurt most of his career with us.

However, watch him move to another team and play the whole season.

Any chance he comes back? He would be a huge loss. Seemed like an NFL prospect when healthy.

Madone the dumb shit in this thread. He was the second leading tackler on our team. He THINKS there’s money out there and all it takes is Dan Gilbert to give him 50k and he’s right. And that’s 50 more than he’d get from the unprepared boilers.

It’s not cause Jefferson, Kane or anyone else was passing him up. He was a 5.9 RR guy who even with his bad angles was starting to show signs of playing like it.

Madone the dumb shit in this thread. He was the second leading tackler on our team. He THINKS there’s money out there and all it takes is Dan Gilbert to give him 50k and he’s right. And that’s 50 more than he’d get from the unprepared boilers.

It’s not cause Jefferson, Kane or anyone else was passing him up. He was a 5.9 RR guy who even with his bad angles was starting to show signs of playing like it.

It's stunning to me how ill prepared this athletic department was for something everyone knew was coming...

Reactions: Purdue80 and DAG10
i thought i read somewhere that graham was shifting from linebacker back to a more "quasi" safety role. maybe grant felt he was being replaced by allen and graham. and didn't want to be that 5th back.
Same role he played last year. They just call it something different.

With the deadline he is exploring his options and Purdue has to decide 1) if they can and will pay him or 2) take him back if he cannot find what he is looking for financially somewhere else!

With the deadline he is exploring his options and Purdue has to decide 1) if they can and will pay him or 2) take him back if he cannot find what he is looking for financially somewhere else!
I say let him go and have it be a lesson for those who think there are always greener pastures!

Or like @BCfanatic2020 that thinks there’s a market for a player like this. We will soon find out that there isn’t…

I say let him go and have it be a lesson for those who think there are always greener pastures!

Or like @BCfanatic2020 that thinks there’s a market for a player like this. We will soon find out that there isn’t…
No I don’t necessarily think so, at least not a rational one.

I think HE thinks there is and that If he can get even 20k maybe that’s enough to go. He may indeed find out he’s wrong and be back (or not). I also think that it may become a situation where you don’t need to be THAT good for a billionaire to give you what would be the equivalent of me giving someone 12 cents to stack a roster of 85 to compete with the big boys.

maybe Gilbert is willing to spend on a team so loaded that grant is the backup SS and a special teams player next year.

I don’t think any of this is going to necessarily be very rational to be clear …

Alright. Let's talk Grant's replacement. Who is that exactly? I dont know the depth chart well enough to speculate.

It's stunning to me how ill prepared this athletic department was for something everyone knew was coming...
But, is it really? I mean, they have been so off and so far behind in so many other ways and so many other times, does it really stun you, or, despite how ridiculous it is, it is pretty much what in all honesty I expected.

The timing of the decision is incredibly coincidental.

He either has something in the works with respect to NIL, or, believes that he will.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
But, is it really? I mean, they have been so off and so far behind in so many other ways and so many other times, does it really stun you, or, despite how ridiculous it is, it is pretty much what in all honesty I expected.
That's just not how we do things here. Our innovative spirit doesn't extend much beyond engineering and science into areas like finance and marketing. Good old, stodgy Purdue. Always playing it safe and conservative. Oh, we will end up doing the same thing everyone else does. We always do.. after falling behind. We'll be late to the party. I guess it makes us feel better to know we weren't the ones "responsible" for it.

People were making fun of the NIL-braska thing last year, but you know what.. at least they were trying. Innovations rarely are perfected on the first attempt.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Alright. Let's talk Grant's replacement. Who is that exactly? I dont know the depth chart well enough to speculate.
I am only guessing here,but it will probably be Chris Jefferson,Ryan Brandt,or Sanoussi Kane,Jahvon Grigsby is also a possibility.

I think HE thinks there is and that If he can get even 20k maybe that’s enough to go. He may indeed find out he’s wrong and be back (or not). I also think that it may become a situation where you don’t need to be THAT good for a billionaire to give you what would be the equivalent of me giving someone 12 cents to stack a roster of 85 to compete with the big boys.

maybe Gilbert is willing to spend on a team so loaded that grant is the backup SS and a special teams player next year.

I don’t think any of this is going to necessarily be very rational to be clear …
I wouldn’t take him back if he wanted to return. He wants out so don’t let the door hit him on the a$$ on the way out.

I wouldn’t take him back if he wanted to return. He wants out so don’t let the door hit him on the a$$ on the way out.
Sounds great but we aren’t in the “go away Marvin Grant” place yet. Haven’t been since I followed Purdue ..

I don't blame Purdue for the lack of NIL given to purdue's athletes. purdue has their act together. they just don't like breaking existing NCAA or legal rules. purdue has tried very hard to get their alumni and sponsors to give money to athletes. Unfortunately, those alumni with lots of money would rather give it to research and academic efforts than to athletes. Purdue giving is actually rather high, much like the giving of Ivy league universities. however, much like ivy league schools, that money is earmarked for better purposes. and former purdue athletes can't give $5 million to current purdue athletes if they are not making $5 mil a year. Drew brees can only give so much.

So stop blaming purdue. and stop blaming that former purdue President who was more academic oriented than athletic oriented. What money is being collected from rich donors is going towards our stadium, arena and other facilities rather than our players.

i guess for some players their love of money is greater than their love of the game.

I don't blame Purdue for the lack of NIL given to purdue's athletes. purdue has their act together. they just don't like breaking existing NCAA or legal rules. purdue has tried very hard to get their alumni and sponsors to give money to athletes. Unfortunately, those alumni with lots of money would rather give it to research and academic efforts than to athletes. Purdue giving is actually rather high, much like the giving of Ivy league universities. however, much like ivy league schools, that money is earmarked for better purposes. and former purdue athletes can't give $5 million to current purdue athletes if they are not making $5 mil a year. Drew brees can only give so much.

So stop blaming purdue. and stop blaming that former purdue President who was more academic oriented than athletic oriented. What money is being collected from rich donors is going towards our stadium, arena and other facilities rather than our players.

i guess for some players their love of money is greater than their love of the game.
I think it’s great that our athletic department is self-sufficient. I feel very strongly that donation should be going towards the academics of the school as opposed to athletics. When I tell people what school I went to I don’t wanna hear about how great my football team is I like to hear what a great engineering education I received. However that does not excuse the former president of taking big 10 network money to pay for a non athletic facility that doesn’t move the needle on academics. That’s indefensible.
also if you think this is about breaking regulations or rules Then you really don’t know what you are talking about. Do you think Notre Dame is openly breaking the law? Lastly the worst offenders here or not supporters of the academic institutions. These are stupid rich boosters. No one is shifting money from academics to athletics.

If I thought as a 20-year old that someone could give me an extra $20k (or whatever) to cover the cost of a car or something, I'd do that in a heartbeat. I don't think we can put the genie in the bottle when it comes to compensating student-athletes or that we should. I hope Grant looks around and decides to come back, but athletes have had so little power that I don't blame them for cashing in.

If I thought as a 20-year old that someone could give me an extra $20k (or whatever) to cover the cost of a car or something, I'd do that in a heartbeat. I don't think we can put the genie in the bottle when it comes to compensating student-athletes or that we should. I hope Grant looks around and decides to come back, but athletes have had so little power that I don't blame them for cashing in.
I don’t begrudge anyone for getting what they can? Like Taylor said the adults in the room are botching the structure of all of this. I hope all these guys get theirs.

sounds like this actually isn’t a lack of NIL thing. But if anyone thinks we wont have a few guys next year saying “pay me something/pay me more or I’m out,” I’m not so many words, they’re being extremely naive. I think that goes for all of P5

if i had a choice of getting an extra $20,000 to buy a car, or get a purdue education, I'd go for the purdue education. look at this past draft, and how many awesome athletes didn't even get drafted. grant has almost zero chance of playing in the NFL. you would think he realizes this, and he'd place getting a degree and using purdue's placement service to get a real job over looking for some school to try to better showcase his talents.

The Cleveland browns GM said it best. he drafted Bell because of what he was able to do against MSU and another BIG 10 school. if grant really wanted to showcase his talents, he would have stayed at Purdue. Purdue plays against some NFL talent.

My son played in AAU ball to try to showcase his talents. he earned a chance to perform in front of the best college and pro scouts in America including painter and Self.. and they liked what they saw and offered a scholarship .................................... to Cliff Alexander. that's my son in Cliff's highlight reel.

What am I saying? if grant really wanted to play in the NFL, the best place to showcase his talents was by playing at Purdue.

Reactions: AgainstDaWind
Your a NFL GM and your on the clock. You have to pick a WR and there’s only 2. Bell and another one who graded out just slightly higher than him but has spent the last 4 years at 4 different colleges. Who you picking?

if i had a choice of getting an extra $20,000 to buy a car, or get a purdue education, I'd go for the purdue education. look at this past draft, and how many awesome athletes didn't even get drafted. grant has almost zero chance of playing in the NFL. you would think he realizes this, and he'd place getting a degree and using purdue's placement service to get a real job over looking for some school to try to better showcase his talents.

The Cleveland browns GM said it best. he drafted Bell because of what he was able to do against MSU and another BIG 10 school. if grant really wanted to showcase his talents, he would have stayed at Purdue. Purdue plays against some NFL talent.

My son played in AAU ball to try to showcase his talents. he earned a chance to perform in front of the best college and pro scouts in America including painter and Self.. and they liked what they saw and offered a scholarship .................................... to Cliff Alexander. that's my son in Cliff's highlight reel.

What am I saying? if grant really wanted to play in the NFL, the best place to showcase his talents was by playing at Purdue.

grant absolutely has a chance to play in the nfl. He has a better chance today than Zander horvath had with two years of eligibility remaining. Zander was drafted. He has close to 100% chance of at least getting an invite to rookie camp. No one goes to rookie camp thinking there is a 0% chance they will make it.

you really think grant can’t showcase his talents at another P5 school?

you think a degree in OLS from Purdue or whatever his major was, is better than a degree from any other P5 school? It’s not.

wait, your son was an athlete?!?!

grant absolutely has a chance to play in the nfl. He has a better chance today than Zander horvath had with two years of eligibility remaining. Zander was drafted. He has close to 100% chance of at least getting an invite to rookie camp. No one goes to rookie camp thinking there is a 0% chance they will make it.

you think a degree in OLS from Purdue or whatever his major was, is better than a degree from any other P5 school? It’s not.

He doesn’t follow football

if you truly believe grant actually has a chance at being a professional athlete, then you are as smart as he is. Yancy was drafted in the 7th round. What's he doing these days ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT