ADVERTISEMENT

Marquette v. Purdue (Game Thread)

1. Purdue's defense is pretty good. Thought so last game, and this game convinced me.
2. This was a coaching victory as much as anything else. SS got outcoached tonight.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
1. Purdue's defense is pretty good. Thought so last game, and this game convinced me.
2. This was a coaching victory as much as anything else. SS got outcoached tonight.

Jury is still out on how good Marquette might be, but Purdue's defense after getting down 9 in the second half was really good. Also, six turnovers against a Shaka Smart team is pretty darn solid - and that's with two quick ones before some people even were in their seats.

If/when Purdue hits more consistently from outside, they can do some damage.

Be interesting to keep an eye on Marquette for the next month or so and see how they do. They looked fairly polished offensively and defensively for game #3.
They looked pretty good from an eyeball test. They played really well until they ran out of energy in the middle of the second half. Too many Boilers, too few ?? what are they called?

:cool:

Well.....we'll find out more soon. West Virginia up next in nine days on Thanksgiving in the Phil Knight Legacy Classic in Portland. Boilermania time! :)

Reactions: Zaphod_B
NGL. For those reading our forums from afar, I'm sorry we sound very bipolar around here lol.

A few takeaways from my perspective.

1. Marquette played at 105% tonight. They really did play their best game and then some, and they knew coming into this that it was an uphill battle. Hat's off to them, good effort and good will. SS might not be THE premium coach but he sure knows how to prep his kids for the moment. Glad MP was able to have exorcized that Demon.

2. Braden Smith is the real deal. Okay, yes, I get it -- he's undersized. But that does not mean he's not talented and that he's not used to playing with an edge. We play a game of 5v5, and I think we can definitely do more to ease the burden on him when the opponent decides to pressure him (likely based on his size). He's a very good ball handler, all things considered, and he plays with confidence. Can we figure out how to give him that added support to play at the high level he knows he can play at?

3. Zach Edey is gone after this year. Although he started pretty quiet tonight, he absolutely imposed his will to start the 2h. I'm very happy with the progression he's had in the last year, and I'm excited to see him continue building his draft resume throughout the year.

4. I feel like we had a metric TON of 50/50 balls not go our way tonight. That maybe leans in to point #1 a little bit. We were very active when the ball left the rim, but those balls seemingly ALWAYS found their way into the opponents hands. I don't know that we get that kind of discrepancy again this year but just wanted to highlight that as it seemed like a fairly weird anomaly.

5. OT: Good job MSU. Knocked off #4 Kentucky in 2OT. Never wavered on the difficulty of the B1G year over year, but it's good to see us taking it to some of the blue bloods out there who seemingly get gifted 4/5* talent.

This team has all the pieces to be very solid. For a new/young team I think Purdue handled the pressure and physicality pretty well for the most part. The rotation will eventually figure itself out going forward but I like the depth of the team and how many guys Painter can throw out there.

You are at the half, TJ. Yes - ZE seems to be getting pushed out to the wing - pretty good defense on him from Marquette. Boilers getting some looks on the reversal. All in all, I'd say they're fortunate to just be down two. Need a burst from Furst and TKR and get better on the glass.
I could tell pregame that Matt was a bit more intense with his instructions. Braden was tough and played well with his grandpa and great grandparents that I happen to catch before the game watching. I wonder who people think ought to be getting more minutes next game. ;). Did get Zach down lower second half and set the tone for the second half with a baseline feed for a basket from Zach. Good learning experience…got to keep improving

I could tell pregame that Matt was a bit more intense with his instructions. Braden was tough and played well with his grandpa and great grandparents that I happen to catch before the game watching. I wonder who people think ought to be getting more minutes next game. ;). Did get Zach down lower second half and set the tone for the second half with a baseline feed for a basket from Zach. Good learning experience…got to keep improving

Definitely got better position to me, TJ, and he also asserted himself on the defensive end. I also think Braden Smith was more aggressive in the second half and forced the issue more. 22-4 run in the latter stages sealed it to go from down 9 to up 9.

Reactions: TX4GB and tjreese
This team has all the pieces to be very solid. For a new/young team I think Purdue handled the pressure and physicality pretty well for the most part. The rotation will eventually figure itself out going forward but I like the depth of the team and how many guys Painter can throw out there.
I expect them to play better than last year’s team at the end of the season. Will have some growing pains though

Hey…there are going to be some nights that are “stinkers” because this team is so young, BUT, there are going to be great nights too!

Remember too, our kids are going to real school and will graduate with a real degree.

ADVERTISEMENT