ADVERTISEMENT

Marquette v. Purdue (Game Thread)

This team just rebounds weird. They end up fighting each other more than they body up the opponent. Noticed this in the last game also.

Reactions: TX4GB
Their ball movement is impressive and it seems like it’s masking their inability to shoot the 3 at a good clip. Lots of airballs or errant backboard deflections. Their game plan is great coming into this. I think we continue to settle in and we start building a lead in the 2h.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Good work there, but Loyer couldn't knock it down. Looks like this one is going to go down to the last few minutes, perhaps. Three turnovers for the Boilers is good, but they were outrebounded 22-18 (only two offensive boards).

Brandon Newman looked good 5pts, 7 boards. Jenkins with some good relief too.

These freshman have excuses on defense, but Newman continues to get lost on D

Can
Good evening, Ladies & Gentlemen - it's the Marquette Golden Eagles taking on the Purdue Boilermakers in Mackey Arena in the Gavitt Tipoff Games. Tip is scheduled for approximately 8:30 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on FS1. Both teams are 2-0 this season, with Marquette defeating Radford and Central Michigan and Purdue taking care of Milwaukee and Austin Peay. This will be the third meeting between the schools in the Gavitt Tipoff Games, with each winning one - Purdue in '17-'18 and Marquette in '19-'20. Purdue is 9-1 all-time against Marquette (4-0 @ home). Marquette's head coach, Shaka Smart, is 3-0 vs. Matt Painter-coached teams, having beaten Purdue while coach at Virginia Commonwealth and then twice while the coach of Texas.

Projected starting lineups:

Marquette: Oso Ighodaro, Olivier-Maxence Prosper, Kameron Jones, Tyler Kolek, and Stevie Mitchell

Purdue: Zach Edey, Mason Gillis, Ethan Morton, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

Purdue has the advantage inside; expect the Boilers to continue to try to work through Zach Edey, who had 30 points last time out against Austin Peay. Also look for Marquette to try and double Edey at times and force Purdue to score from the outside. The Boilers have not shot the ball particularly well the first two games. Marquette will also look to push the pace on both ends of the floor. Oso Ighodaro will likely draw Zach Edey's assignment, and he has the ability to draw Edey away from the paint or drive past him for a score or find an open teammate.

Purdue's youthful starting back-court of Braden Smith and Fletcher Loyer will absolutely get challenged more tonight than in the first two games. Brandon Newman and David Jenkins, Jr. off the bench will be a key in helping out. The Boilers will also need to shoot better from the perimeter - if they can knock down their share, it will go a long way tonight. I expect that Purdue will again attack the glass (and Caleb Furst and Trey Kaufman-Renn will be another key off the bench) - the defense has been better expected.....can the Boilers keep that up tonight?

The team that best controls the tempo should have the edge - can the Boilers handle the pace and still work the offense and limit turnovers? Can they limit the Golden Eagles in transition? If Purdue can play with poise and knock down a few more shots from the outside - they have a really good chance to prevail. It's a great opportunity for a relatively young team as the schedule continues to ramp up. Will Matt Painter have his team ready, and will they be able to execute effectively?

We shall see starting in a little more than 30 minutes or so.

Boiler up, my friends.

i
i
Not sure where I am in the thread? Zach needs to take his man to the basket and then post up. He is too high. They have Purdue sped up and Purdue might need a few more drives and get into bonus earlier. Brandon doing well a little rush on his last shot. Zach needs to carve out space deeper o give low and then reverse the ball to him. He needs to make near the basket his and someone needs to work on keeping the ball out of JONES hands. Not getting much from Trey and Caleb

20 minutes …who sets tempo?

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I like we are playing a team like this early. Let's Painter get a read on who can do what better than playing a cupcake. Marquette is a good, well coached team. Athletic. We haven't played great and showing our youth at times. Jenkins and Newman are only guys athletic enough to stay with Marquette. It will be a good learning game.

Can

Not sure where I am in the thread? Zach needs to take his man to the basket and then post up. He is too high. They have Purdue sped up and Purdue might need a few more drives and get into bonus earlier. Brandon doing well a little rush on his last shot. Zach needs to carve out space deeper o give low and then reverse the ball to him. He needs to make near the basket his and someone needs to work on keeping the ball out of JONES hands. Not getting much from Trey and Caleb

20 minutes …who sets tempo?

You are at the half, TJ. Yes - ZE seems to be getting pushed out to the wing - pretty good defense on him from Marquette. Boilers getting some looks on the reversal. All in all, I'd say they're fortunate to just be down two. Need a burst from Furst and TKR and get better on the glass.

Reactions: tjreese
Newman would have hit that....but Morton made up for it
They’re playing very tight, physical defense at all 5 positions. We are not. Let’s try and match that physicality since the refs seem hesitant to call it.
The quickness of Marquette giving Purdue problems right now getting the ball to the big guy also hard needs to make adjustments in the second half Newman has 7 boards that is helping

Reactions: Boiler8285
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT