ADVERTISEMENT

Margin for error

ehuffma1

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 25, 2019
The margin for error on this season is very small. Mental mistakes as well as physical development of our team has made getting wins difficult. Which game couldn’t we win if the players didn’t make a play or screw something up?

Easy to blame coaches and they deserve their fair share. I just think there is real opportunity next year to clean up mistakes and close some of the physicality gaps. Boiler up!

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
The margin for error on this season is very small. Mental mistakes as well as physical development of our team has made getting wins difficult. Which game couldn’t we win if the players didn’t make a play or screw something up?

Easy to blame coaches and they deserve their fair share. I just think there is real opportunity next year to clean up mistakes and close some of the physicality gaps. Boiler up!
Fire Biagi. Tell Diaco he is next if he ever thinks about 3-4 defense.

Last edited:
Fired Biagi. Tell Diaco he is next if he ever thinks about 3-4 defense.

I liked the 4-3 looks better on passing downs. Pass rush still an issue.

Personal fouls, holding penalties, all kinds of mental mistakes just killed us.

The Martinez TD run, our players looked like JV guys.

We also ended up with -1 yards rushing. Thatvisnt going to get it done. That’s OL

I liked the 4-3 looks better on passing downs. Pass rush still an issue.

Personal fouls, holding penalties, all kinds of mental mistakes just killed us.

The Martinez TD run, our players looked like JV guys.

We also ended up with -1 yards rushing. Thatvisnt going to get it done. That’s OL
And, OL was a known problem to literally ANYBODY/EVERYBODY three years ago, except apparently to Brohm and staff...a complete joke to still be the problem and issue that it is at this time.

Reactions: Boiler8285

Just horrible coaching throughout the entire staff has made it near impossible to get wins far more so than mental mistakes or any lack of physical development...Purdue has one of the worst collective special teams in the entire country, one of the worst defenses in the entire country, and, is awful offensively as well...there is LITERALLY NOTHING that Purdue is good at, and, that is entirely on Brohm and his staff.

Reactions: Boiler8285
And, OL was a known problem to literally ANYBODY/EVERYBODY three years ago, except apparently to Brohm and staff...a complete joke to still be the problem and issue that it is at this time.
Brohm is over his head. Needs to stick to CUSA or whatever the hell crap level WKU played at.

Our recruiting sucks. No athletes on the lines. we don't have the horses to compete P5.

Incorrect .., we need to get rid of Diaco and Bisho now and we will be fine. Don’t start with the Mac talent bs. It’s an intellectually lazy take.

I’ve talked to enough Purdue fans to know that at least some of them were like “oh 14-0 plenty of time in the game” when that WAS the game. That was special teams and defense.

The new DC needs to not only be better than Diaco as a coordinator but he needs to be willing to make guys who did what Mackey did wish they were gone

Our recruiting sucks. No athletes on the lines. we don't have the horses to compete P5.

The OL is young. Definitely some misses I’m recruiting that set that unit back. Recent recruits are much better IMO.

DL is more complicated. GK is a game changer that hasn’t had much impact this year. DL has not performed well. No question. Neal has been ok this year, made some plays. The other guys look like they need more development.

Reactions: Bobtheboiler88
Incorrect .., we need to get rid of Diaco and Bisho now and we will be fine. Don’t start with the Mac talent bs. It’s an intellectually lazy take.

I’ve talked to enough Purdue fans to know that at least some of them were like “oh 14-0 plenty of time in the game” when that WAS the game. That was special teams and defense.

The new DC needs to not only be better than Diaco as a coordinator but he needs to be willing to make guys who did what Mackey did wish they were gone
Some fantastic points, none more so than the last one...for Brohm not to have met Mackey on the field as he made his way off of it was incredible to me, and, very telling...that was just so reflective of so many things that plague this team...selfishness, ineptitude, lack of discipline and failure to have done his job to begin with all in one play...a complete microcosm of this year for Purdue football.

At 3-3 I wouldn’t be thrilled. 4-2 I’d be somewhat satisfied. We are literally a blown call from 3-3.

The margin for error to have a better record is not that much. Skilled positions are pretty good. Like play isn’t. How far away from 4-2 are we?

Line play. Frustrating. I do blame coaches but not for everything. Come on... players aren’t making plays either.

The OL is young. Definitely some misses I’m recruiting that set that unit back. Recent recruits are much better IMO.

DL is more complicated. GK is a game changer that hasn’t had much impact this year. DL has not performed well. No question. Neal has been ok this year, made some plays. The other guys look like they need more development.
I am tired of the OL being young excuse...more so in that it is young because of a complete failure and absolute neglect in addressing it before it became a problem rather than after it became one (due to the neglect of Brohm and staff).

At 3-3 I wouldn’t be thrilled. 4-2 I’d be somewhat satisfied. We are literally a blown call from 3-3.

The margin for error to have a better record is not that much. Skilled positions are pretty good. Like play isn’t. How far away from 4-2 are we?

Line play. Frustrating. I do blame coaches but not for everything. Come on... players aren’t making plays either.
They are a blown call from 3-3 against the world's softest and kindest schedule...and, the fact that you (and I, and others) would be "ok" with that speaks volumes! They are a blown call from 3-3, but, almost as close to being 1-5 (if not 0-6) due to nothing but good fortune and a couple of miraculous individual plays by David Bell.

Some fantastic points, none more so than the last one...for Brohm not to have met Mackey on the field as he made his way off of it was incredible to me, and, very telling...that was just so reflective of so many things that plague this team...selfishness, ineptitude, lack of discipline and failure to have done his job to begin with all in one play...a complete microcosm of this year for Purdue football.

forget who the coach is in terms of the name ...

you think you do what Mackey did at Texas or Ohio state and the coaches and everyone on campus just treats you like you’re a swell guy? You probably get MF’d up and down the block

I am tired of the OL being young excuse...more so in that it is young because of a complete failure and absolute neglect in addressing it before it became a problem rather than after it became one (due to the neglect of Brohm and staff).

Do you feel like there is potential for them to be decent next year? I do. I have seen some improvement from the previous year. We still have 2 frosh playing. Everyone back except Hermanns, who is good not great.

come on. The OL is terrible. The pocket doesn't just collapse, there isn't one. The only way they create time for the QB is too hold. If they aren't MAC talent they aren't coached very well.

They are a blown call from 3-3 against the world's softest and kindest schedule...and, the fact that you (and I, and others) would be "ok" with that speaks volumes! They are a blown call from 3-3, but, almost as close to being 1-5 (if not 0-6) due to nothing but good fortune and a couple of miraculous individual plays by David Bell.

What do you expect? Let’s hear it....

come on. The OL is terrible. The pocket doesn't just collapse, there isn't one. The only way they create time for the QB is too hold. If they aren't MAC talent they aren't coached very well.

No pocket and Plummer throws for over 300 and on INt’s?!? He must be a magician.

What do you expect? Let’s hear it....
At the most basic level, I expect to see a competent and functional football team that is prepared to play...that there is some semblance of a game plan on both sides of the ball that seemingly play to the strengths of the personnel on both sides, and, exploits the weaknesses or shortcomings of the opponent on both sides of the ball as well...I literally would expect that as a bare minimum, and, we are not getting that, much less anything close to it.

I don't even think that is unfair or unrealistic, or asking too much...to expect that.

To be SO bad a week ago in SO many ways, and, hear all sorts of what proved to be nothing more than "coachspeak", I certainly did not expect to see Purdue show up today as completely unprepared as they were...yet again...in all three phases with no signs of any game plan at all on either side of the ball, compounded by absolutely no discipline...individually, or collectively, with a HC on the sideline with no answers at all for any of it.

but wait a minute now.. I haven’t seen obviously cam Craig but also jornigan, bramel, Miller orWashington for awhile now. Garvin is Mac talent but Ialways knew that.

Miller
Craig
Hartwig
Jornigan
Bramel

that’s not Mac talent dude. Mac talent is stupid cop out bs.

we have a terrible DC and a terrible STC with a bunch of OL missing.

we don’t have Mac talent.

I don’t start shitting roses when we win abs I don’t start acting like everyone who plays for us sucks when we lose..

Reactions: ehuffma1

Being realistic, I know the OL/DL issues. If we were at 4-2, I’d do cartwheels. The OL/DL overall are not up to Big10 standards so it’s an uphill climb every week.

Do I think the OL/DL issues are being addressed in recruiting. Go look... we’ve had our best OL/DL recruits in the last 20 years in the last 2 years. They are all just young. (His gift 2 years weren’t terrific with OL/DL admittedly)

Do you honestly think Brohm can’t recruit?

At the most basic level, I expect to see a competent and functional football team that is prepared to play...that there is some semblance of a game plan on both sides of the ball that seemingly play to the strengths of the personnel on both sides, and, exploits the weaknesses or shortcomings of the opponent on both sides of the ball as well...I literally would expect that as a bare minimum, and, we are not getting that, much less anything close to it.

I don't even think that is unfair or unrealistic, or asking too much...to expect that.

To be SO bad a week ago in SO many ways, and, hear all sorts of what proved to be nothing more than "coachspeak", I certainly did not expect to see Purdue show up today as completely unprepared as they were...yet again...in all three phases with no signs of any game plan at all on either side of the ball, compounded by absolutely no discipline...individually, or collectively, with a HC on the sideline with no answers at all for any of it.

Record?

I don't have an expectation with respect to record...I am not even asking for wins, although that is ideally what would happen...I just want a competent and functional football team that looks as if it has been prepared, and, that is not happening...absent it, I would not expect any wins, and, that is exactly what has happened the last four weeks...with the effort and actual performance being worse in each respective week (which I would not expect either for that matter).

When Brohm arrived, I could not have been more happy after the first game against Louisville...they lost, yet, they competed...and they looked competent and functional, unlike what the case had been in the couple of years prior...there was some indication that they had a plan in place on both sides of the ball and some semblance of a commitment to it...that is all gone right now...what we saw last week in particular, and way more so today, is no better than what we saw before he took over, save a couple of tremendously talented individuals making some plays on their own.

What was the game plan today? The first 10-15 plays of the game are scripted, yet, how many of the first 10-15 plays reflected that, or, worked (at all)? Never mind that they probably did not even get to 10 plays before they were already down 17 points!

Being realistic, I know the OL/DL issues. If we were at 4-2, I’d do cartwheels. The OL/DL overall are not up to Big10 standards so it’s an uphill climb every week.

Do I think the OL/DL issues are being addressed in recruiting. Go look... we’ve had our best OL/DL recruits in the last 20 years in the last 2 years. They are all just young. (His gift 2 years weren’t terrific with OL/DL admittedly)

Do you honestly think Brohm can’t recruit?

LT Miller
LG Craig washington
C Hartwig
RG Jornigan Holstege
RT Bramel

SDE Karlaftis Sulliban Hudgins
DT Faucheux
NT Johnson Austin
WDE Mitchell Hunter

Those are your big ten talents up front. Good coaching turns that into your actual lineup and fills in the rest. Every time one of those guys has to be replaced by a Garvin because you couldn’t get talent X ready to take over.. you’re falling behind.

It’s that simple .. I don’t know where dontay hunters or Steven Faucheux’s head is.. but assuming it’s right, there ARE coaches who would have them turning heads next season. Don’t tell me that the dude from Cincinnati wouldn’t

Reactions: DAG10

6-6 if they fire diaco

4-8 and brohm gets fired if they don’t

I predicted 6-6 two years ago 5-7 last year and 4-3 this year .. which I believe we would have been if we had karlaftis

so whoever wants to start with 9-3 or 3-9 can jaw all they Want.. we will see

Do you feel like there is potential for them to be decent next year? I do. I have seen some improvement from the previous year. We still have 2 frosh playing. Everyone back except Hermanns, who is good not great.
Not with the staff in place...as it has shown no signs to date in four years to develop a competent OL...the only success Purdue has had in four years up front was with guys from the previous regime.

Hermanns is the best OL...true, good/not great, but, that speaks to the problem(s) collectively at the position and the shortcomings of the staff to address it before now, or, seemingly to recognize the importance of it.

this is brohm's 4th year . he recruited players like Beach before his first season started. if he had given the offensive line the same attention he gave his receivers, we would be looking at an experienced offensive line with players with 3-4 years of experience. Where are Stickford, Smart, Beeach, Washington, Jackson and Garvin today ? They were all brohm recruits. That's 6 offensive linemen who all should be in their 4th year at Purdue. and they were ALL recruited by Brohm, not Hazell.

I'm going to say this as clearly as i can. In brohm's first year and his first class, less than 5 players from that class committed while Hazell was here. the remainder of that class was recruited and signed by Brohm. he brought in players he was recruiting while at WKU, , jucos, and grad tansfers. many of them actually had previous offers from purdue. But they were all recruited by brohm. I cannot repeat how many people thought beach and the rest of his recruits would be awesome. At the time the class signed, all i read was praise for these guys.

of that 2017 class, hazell's commitments were Sipe, Alstott, Mackey. All the rest were Brohm's including Hamilton, Wright, Zico and Barnes.

the following year, Brohm recruited Mckenna, Bramel, Miller, and a great offensive line player (Allen)who never made it to Purdue. and rather than replacing him with another offensive lineman, he signed somebody to a different position. This should be their third year at Purdue!

Brohm kept replacing experienced mediocre players with young recruits. and then complains our line is too young and inexperienced. Those old mediocre players of Hazell were actually pretty good for brohm in his first year. looking back purdue could have 10 offensive linemen with 3+ years at purdue. but all i ever hear is how young and inexperienced our line is.

Reactions: DAG10
6-6 if they fire diaco

4-8 and brohm gets fired if they don’t

I predicted 6-6 two years ago 5-7 last year and 4-3 this year .. which I believe we would have been if we had karlaftis

I'd say a .500 record or better would be reasonable.

This is why I am going to stick with Brohm. Listen. Hear me out. Don’t overreact to the moment.

Brohm can get skilled guys. Hazell, Hope, and even Tiller had trouble recruiting top level WR’s QB’s and TE’s. Tiller recruited top QB’s the other 2 didn’t. Brohm has brought in some good QB’s too and has some good ones on the way. Tiller would have given his (left one) to have WR’s like we have now.

Hard to understand and explain why we can’t have an OL worth a crap, but I believe it’s coming.

The title of my thread was “margin for error.” We don’t have a lot of margin right now and it’s frustrating. The call at Minnesota was a real kick in the crotch. Haven’t had momentum since.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
this is brohm's 4th year . he recruited players like Beach before his first season started. if he had given the offensive line the same attention he gave his receivers, we would be looking at an experienced offensive line with players with 3-4 years of experience. Where are Stickford, Smart, Beeach, Washington, Jackson and Garvin today ? They were all brohm recruits. That's 6 offensive linemen who all should be in their 4th year at Purdue. and they were ALL recruited by Brohm, not Hazell.

I'm going to say this as clearly as i can. In brohm's first year and his first class, less than 5 players from that class committed while Hazell was here. the remainder of that class was recruited and signed by Brohm. he brought in players he was recruiting while at WKU, , jucos, and grad tansfers. many of them actually had previous offers from purdue. But they were all recruited by brohm. I cannot repeat how many people thought beach and the rest of his recruits would be awesome. At the time the class signed, all i read was praise for these guys.

of that 2017 class, hazell's commitments were Sipe, Alstott, Mackey. All the rest were Brohm's including Hamilton, Wright, Zico and Barnes.

the following year, Brohm recruited Mckenna, Bramel, Miller, and a great offensive line player (Allen)who never made it to Purdue. and rather than replacing him with another offensive lineman, he signed somebody to a different position. This should be their third year at Purdue!

Brohm kept replacing experienced mediocre players with young recruits. and then complains our line is too young and inexperienced. Those old mediocre players of Hazell were actually pretty good for brohm in his first year. looking back purdue could have 10 offensive linemen with 3+ years at purdue. but all i ever hear is how young and inexperienced our line is.

Good points. Frustrating as hell

I'd say a .500 record or better would be reasonable.

This is why I am going to stick with Brohm. Listen. Hear me out. Don’t overreact to the moment.

Brohm can get skilled guys. Hazell, Hope, and even Tiller had trouble recruiting top level WR’s QB’s and TE’s. Tiller recruited top QB’s the other 2 didn’t. Brohm has brought in some good QB’s too and has some good ones on the way. Tiller would have given his (left one) to have WR’s like we have now.

Hard to understand and explain why we can’t have an OL worth a crap, but I believe it’s coming.

The title of my thread was “margin for error.” We don’t have a lot of margin right now and it’s frustrating. The call at Minnesota was a real kick in the crotch. Haven’t had momentum since.

I’m just telling everyone what the record is gonna be

the problems with predictions is hazell's teams given a few breaks could have finished with close to a .500 record if his receivers would have caught a few more crucial passes. I remember a game we ALMOST won when we drew up a late 4th quarter pass to the end zone. and he was wide open and then dropped it and we lost. i remember several other games we had the lead in the 4th quarter and were looking good, but our defense was worn out and they walked over us. the problem with this team is that it could easily have gone 6-2 or 2-6. there is zero consistency. before the season started, i thought this team would lose to Iowa, UW, Minn, Nebraska. with Iowa and minn being toss ups. We were lucky we didn't play UW. We were also lucky we didn't play our pre-conference games. Going into the season, most people were predicting 6-6 and 5-7 seasons. and basically, they've played to that level of expectation. they could and should be better. But they also could have and should have won a lot of games in previous years as well. We could have beaten both nevada and louisville too. But we didn't.

We seem to forget the OSU game was a very emotional week and game. if not for those outside emotions, we probably would have lost. and it was because of that win, that we gained several elite recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT