ADVERTISEMENT

March Madness Results - Facts/Narrative

I think a few more years tops if he can't get to a final four. Recruiting has pretty much gone down hill after furst and Kaufman. We've been accepting way too many commitments from kids that have literally zero offers from any other p5 schools lately. And in year 17(?) it's honestly a joke how weak our back court is. NIL is only going to make it harder on painter. I would have no problem with bringing in someone brand new who will be used to recruiting in the NIL landscape.
Is this a joke? Is it sarcasm? Man, I can't tell if this is ol' Johnny Boy's real opinion or what. Maybe he is just trolling, you think?

Is this a joke? Is it sarcasm? Man, I can't tell if this is ol' Johnny Boy's real opinion or what. Maybe he is just trolling, you think?
It’s not a joke but it is a bunch of clowns and the joke is on them because if Painter continues to achieve anywhere near the level of success he’s had he’ll coach here as long as he wants.

Sorry boys, you can stick your ideas of ‘fair’ and your expectations you know where. He’s not going anywhere unless he wants to.

It’s not a joke but it is a bunch of clowns and the joke is on them because if Painter continues to achieve anywhere near the level of success he’s had he’ll coach here as long as he wants.

Sorry boys, you can stick your ideas of ‘fair’ and your expectations you know where. He’s not going anywhere unless he wants to.
Telling anyone to stick anything up their "you know where" is rude. Everyone has an opinion, and we are all Purdue fans with different thoughts. Respect and manners are what I was taught. Go Boilers!

What year do you say Purdue makes the Final Four again?

With the 3 Elite 8s I have seen in 94, 00, and 19, we keep getting closer.

I hope sometime this decade because we are due.

I share your hope but 1) I have no idea and 2) it doesn't matter as it relates to head coaching decisions.

Purdue is a good program with a strong history but it's not an elite program or an elite job. Getting rid of a guy who is widely considered to be one of the best coaches in the country because he hasn't reached a final four is a recipe for disaster.

Telling anyone to stick anything up their "you know where" is rude. Everyone has an opinion, and we are all Purdue fans with different thoughts. Respect and manners are what I was taught. Go Boilers!
You're correct, my comment was rude. Many posters come here and post ridiculous takes, i.e. fire Painter, if he doesn't reach a Final Four, to draw attention to themselves or to simply flame the board. I offer no apologies to that sort.

If you truly believe that Painter should be let go if he continues to perform at the current level but does not reach a Final Four, I apologize for my rudeness. I would kindly suggest that you both re-evaluate your view of Purdue's place in the college basketball hierarchy and look at the aggregate success rate of second tier programs who have moved on from highly successful coaches in an effort to get to the 'next level'.

I share your hope but 1) I have no idea and 2) it doesn't matter as it relates to head coaching decisions.

Purdue is a good program with a strong history but it's not an elite program or an elite job. Getting rid of a guy who is widely considered to be one of the best coaches in the country because he hasn't reached a final four is a recipe for disaster.
Glad we share the same hope for Purdue men's basketball.

You are right, Purdue does have a strong history (1969 and 1980 is almost 2 Final Fours a decade).

Purdue's strong history says 1 or 2 Final Fours a decade should be the expectation.

Hope Purdue can return to its historical form in the future with the coach capable of such results.

You're correct, my comment was rude. Many posters come here and post ridiculous takes, i.e. fire Painter, if he doesn't reach a Final Four, to draw attention to themselves or to simply flame the board. I offer no apologies to that sort.

If you truly believe that Painter should be let go if he continues to perform at the current level but does not reach a Final Four, I apologize for my rudeness. I would kindly suggest that you both re-evaluate your view of Purdue's place in the college basketball hierarchy and look at the aggregate success rate of second tier programs who have moved on from highly successful coaches in an effort to get to the 'next level'.
You are good buddy. I am trying to promote unity among Purdue fans on this board.

You are right about Purdue's strong history. Purdue is capable of this in the future.

Below is a copy and paste response of mine to your earlier post to me:

You are right, Purdue does have a strong history (1969 and 1980 is almost 2 Final Fours a decade).

Purdue's strong history says 1 or 2 Final Fours a decade should be the expectation.

Hope Purdue can return to its historical form in the future with the coach capable of such results.

You are good buddy. I am trying to promote unity among Purdue fans on this board.

You are right about Purdue's strong history. Purdue is capable of this in the future.

Below is a copy and paste response of mine to your earlier post to me:

I'm pretty certain that I'm being pranked based on your post, but I'll reply as though you're being earnest. I see zero data that supports your assertion that 'Purdue's strong history says 1 or 2 Final Fours a decade should be the expectation.'

What, aside from it occurring once, over 40 years ago, leads you to believe that that should be the expectation?

I'm pretty certain that I'm being pranked based on your post, but I'll reply as though you're being earnest. I see zero data that supports your assertion that 'Purdue's strong history says 1 or 2 Final Fours a decade should be the expectation.'

What, aside from it occurring once, over 40 years ago, leads you to believe that that should be the expectation?
1969 - 1980 is a 12- year period. Purdue went to 2 Final Fours in those 12 years.

Expecting more of the same or better should be the expectation from 1981 up until today.

That is my expectation as a Purdue fan. Hope Coach Painter can get the job done.

1969 - 1980 is a 12- year period. Purdue went to 2 Final Fours in those 12 years.

Expecting more of the same or better should be the expectation from 1981 up until today.

That is my expectation as a Purdue fan. Hope Coach Painter can get the job done.
As the mathematician and philosopher Blaise Pascal once said: "It is easier to believe that something that has happened once can happen again than it is to believe that something that has not happened will happen."

So the answer to my question is ‘nothing’.

Best wishes to you my friend. You’re welcome to whatever personal expectations you’d like, I hope they are realized.

Reactions: collegehoopsfan123
So the answer to my question is ‘nothing’.

Best wishes to you my friend. You’re welcome to whatever personal expectations you’d like, I hope they are realized.

1969 Purdue Title Game loss to UCLA

1980 Purdue Final Four loss to UCLA are the 2 data points.

Starting in 1981, most Purdue men's basketball fans expected this trend of 2 Final Fours every 12

years to continue. It has happened before, so I expect it to happen again.

I hope its realized for all Boiler Nation including you. Wishing you the best every day.

Go Purdue!

Interesting. Each year new players arrive, old players graduate. Each year the teams competing in the tourney are different. Each year new coaches are brought in and old ones retire or get fired. The match ups are random and the way these kids play varies extremely from game to game. Yet rational individuals expect to find detailed repeating patterns from year to year, decade to decade.

Reactions: collegehoopsfan123
Dude is the biggest sensitive clown on this board. Doesn't have anything of substance to add so immediately goes to insults over college basketball opinions. Cry more, @northside100 .

• Haha
Reactions: Purdue_BS_90
Dude is the biggest sensitive clown on this board. Doesn't have anything of substance to add so immediately goes to insults over college basketball opinions. Cry more, @northside100 .
I assumed that that’s just a regular weeknight for you, didn’t know that you’d take it as an insult.

An insult would be to say something like 'every time you post something the world is a little worse informed and has slightly worse grammar for having read it'.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Inspector100
I assumed that that’s just a regular weeknight for you, didn’t know that you’d take it as an insult.

An insult would be to say something like 'every time you post something the world is a little worse informed and has slightly worse grammar for having read it'.
Maybe, but compared to you I'm a modern day Aristotle.

• Love
Reactions: northside100

I think estimating Final Fours is kind of dumb or impossible. Getting there only takes 4 games. This means relatively bad teams can make it, and relatively good teams can fail to make it.

If you actually look at Purdue’s Final Four odds objectively according to the analytics, their odds of making it this year were about 22% (90% chance to beat Yale, 53% chance to beat Texas, 85% chance to beat St. Peter’s, 54% chance to beat North Carolina). I think us fans get wrapped up in our own team too much, saying we always choke , when in reality it’s just hard to do, statistically.

A better way of looking at it, to me, is over a larger time frame. This smooths out the small sample size. If we had this same team for 5 years in a row at roughly a 20% chance of making a Final Four, we should expect 1 Final Four. And that’s very nearly what happened - this year was probably the 3rd or 4th best team we’ve had since 2017, and we had about a 95% chance of having 1 Final Four with 0s on the clock in 2019.

Reactions: mathboy and tjreese
I think estimating Final Fours is kind of dumb or impossible. Getting there only takes 4 games. This means relatively bad teams can make it, and relatively good teams can fail to make it.

If you actually look at Purdue’s Final Four odds objectively according to the analytics, their odds of making it this year were about 22% (90% chance to beat Yale, 53% chance to beat Texas, 85% chance to beat St. Peter’s, 54% chance to beat North Carolina). I think us fans get wrapped up in our own team too much, saying we always choke , when in reality it’s just hard to do, statistically.

A better way of looking at it, to me, is over a larger time frame. This smooths out the small sample size. If we had this same team for 5 years in a row at roughly a 20% chance of making a Final Four, we should expect 1 Final Four. And that’s very nearly what happened - this year was probably the 3rd or 4th best team we’ve had since 2017, and we had about a 95% chance of having 1 Final Four with 0s on the clock in 2019.
2019 was as close as it gets.

I say Purdue returns to the Final Four this decade.

When do you say Purdue returns to the Final Four?

2019 was as close as it gets. I say sometime this decade.
2019 was as close as it gets.

I say Purdue returns to the Final Four this decade.
Hopefully! My prediction is that it will be impossible to predict and that it will come out of nowhere, kind of like 2019 almost did. I would say that 5th year Edey sophomore Colvin Junior Kaufman with a core of Juniors like Waddell, Smith, Loyer looks good on paper.

We’ll see if Edey comes back, but guys like him, Dickinson, and Jackson-Davis who are good college players with no NBA upside can make more money in college these days.

Hopefully! My prediction is that it will be impossible to predict and that it will come out of nowhere, kind of like 2019 almost did. I would say that 5th year Edey sophomore Colvin Junior Kaufman with a core of Juniors like Waddell, Smith, Loyer looks good on paper.

We’ll see if Edey comes back, but guys like him, Dickinson, and Jackson-Davis who are good college players with no NBA upside can make more money in college these days.
2025 San Antonio is the year that looks good on paper. Can't wait till it happens.

Go Purdue!

No idea, but I highly doubt Painter will be the one to do it. Doesn't recruit at a high enough level to overcome his lack of tournament coaching deficiencies.
You could be right.

Both Keady and Painter went to their 1st Elite 8 in their 14th seasons as Purdue coach.

Keady's 2nd Elite 8 came in his 20th season. Painter's 20th season would be 2025.

Painter has at least 1 more Elite 8 in him. Will it turn out differently than Keady?

Very Possible since Painter will be 55 in his 20th season where Keady was 65 in his 20th year.

Time will tell. Whoever the coach is will be remembered for a very long, long time.

Last edited:
You could be right.

Both Keady and Painter went to their 1st Elite 8 in their 14th seasons as Purdue coach.

Keady's 2nd Elite 8 came in his 20th season. Painter's 20th season would be 2025.

Painter has at least 1 more Elite 8 in him. Will it turn out differently than Keady?

Very Possible since Painter will be 55 in his 20th season where Keady was 65 in his 20th year.

Time will tell. Whoever the coach is will be remembered for a very long, long time.
Not sure what percent would agree with you on remembering a coach due to being in the final four? It is NOT critical for me and not to imply that I don't hope it to happen. It's about the players. It is about their desires and goals and how much Purdue meant to them after their time has passed. Would they do it again?

I think it is obvious with my previous posts that I love the game and love Purdue. However, my satisfaction has to come from inside and not the result of some 18-22 year old kids performing to my expectations, however realistic they may be. What I do know is that the players, managers and all staffs put forth more effort than those in the stands and suffer more than those in the stands. It takes me to an old Teddy quote...

"The Man In The Arena"
Screen_Shot_2015-11-18_at_7.44.28_PM_1024x1024.png

Not sure what percent would agree with you on remembering a coach due to being in the final four? It is NOT critical for me and not to imply that I don't hope it to happen. It's about the players. It is about their desires and goals and how much Purdue meant to them after their time has passed. Would they do it again?

I think it is obvious with my previous posts that I love the game and love Purdue. However, my satisfaction has to come from inside and not the result of some 18-22 year old kids performing to my expectations, however realistic they may be. What I do know is that the players, managers and all staffs put forth more effort than those in the stands and suffer more than those in the stands. It takes me to an old Teddy quote...

"The Man In The Arena"
Screen_Shot_2015-11-18_at_7.44.28_PM_1024x1024.png
One of my favorite quotes! Thanks for putting it into the thread.

Reactions: tjreese
No idea, but I highly doubt Painter will be the one to do it. Doesn't recruit at a high enough level to overcome his lack of tournament coaching deficiencies.
Purdue has made the Sweet 16 5 of the last 6 tournaments. Only something like 5 teams have performed better in the tournament in that time frame. I don’t get why the Final Four is made out to be something it’s not. The game doesn’t change between the second round and the fourth, you just play better teams. It also has to be the most overrated accomplishment in sports. No NBA or NFL team hangs banners for conference title appearances. I just don’t think there’s some magical step up in difficulty. Making a Sweet 16 is twice as difficult as a Round of 32, just as a Final Four is to an Elite 8.

I think a few more years tops if he can't get to a final four. Recruiting has pretty much gone down hill after furst and Kaufman. We've been accepting way too many commitments from kids that have literally zero offers from any other p5 schools lately. And in year 17(?) it's honestly a joke how weak our back court is. NIL is only going to make it harder on painter. I would have no problem with bringing in someone brand new who will be used to recruiting in the NIL landscape.
Yeah let's bring in someone with a decade of NIL experience since it just started this summer. Sounds brilliant. Loyer sucks; Smith sucks; Heide sucks; Berg sucks; Catchings sucks; Colvin sucks. When Loyer and Smith make all you passive aggressive recruiting experts look like idiots, per usual, you will just move on to another plan B.

I'm close with a mid-major college bball official who's done five ISHAA FF's. He's ref'd pretty much every D-1 player in IN in the last 41 years. He's a huge IU fan and says both Loyer and Smith will be excellent BIG players. He says IU will regret having not recruited either of them. He's done several of their games over the last three years. Of course nameless guys on here watching YouTube clips know more than the rest of us, including this guy.

Yeah let's bring in someone with a decade of NIL experience since it just started this summer. Sounds brilliant. Loyer sucks; Smith sucks; Heide sucks; Berg sucks; Catchings sucks; Colvin sucks. When Loyer and Smith make all you passive aggressive recruiting experts look like idiots, per usual, you will just move on to another plan B.

I'm close with a mid-major college bball official who's done five ISHAA FF's. He's ref'd pretty much every D-1 player in IN in the last 41 years. He's a huge IU fan and says both Loyer and Smith will be excellent BIG players. He says IU will regret having not recruited either of them. He's done several of their games over the last three years. Of course nameless guys on here watching YouTube clips know more than the rest of us, including this guy.
Every Purdue fan who has questioned the recruiting of Smith and Loyer hopes you're right. I don't remember who else offered Loyer, but Smith will definitely need to be an anomaly to be an excellent B10 coming out of nowhere. I know I was questioning his offer and would love nothing more for him to prove me wrong.

My guess is Painter gets Purdue back to the Final Four this decade.

Purdue is long overdue.

2000 Keady would have made it if Cornell had not had a poor shooting night against Wisconsin.

2010 was a near Final Four lock before Hummel went down. That team was really cooking.

2019 took a miracle pass of divine intervention otherwise Painter would already have a FF.

Looking at what Painter has done up this point compared to Keady during the same time

(and that Painter is 10 years younger than Keady was in their Purdue coaching careers),

its very possible. A National Championship would be icing on the cake.

Lastly, there needs to be little more respect shown to other posts and opinions in this thread.

If you don't have a respectful opinion or something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Go Purdue!

Last edited:
Every Purdue fan who has questioned the recruiting of Smith and Loyer hopes you're right. I don't remember who else offered Loyer, but Smith will definitely need to be an anomaly to be an excellent B10 coming out of nowhere. I know I was questioning his offer and would love nothing more for him to prove me wrong.
Why do we care what other teams offered someone? Edey, Ivey, and Carsen are 3 All American level players we’ve had in the last 4 years with <= 3 power 5 offers. Painter might not be able to land star players, but he might have the best eye for talent in the country. He was on Chet and Timme before they were ranked, too.

• Love
Reactions: northside100
ADVERTISEMENT