ADVERTISEMENT

Malik Williams.....

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
I've been under the impression that we're in really good position with Williams, especially considering he's in our recruiting sweet spot (the Fort) and hopefully Biggie and Ray have been in his ear.
Now granted, this article was in the Indy star but the only mention of P is in the list of offers. They give iu and UL plenty of mention.
http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...diana-hoosiers-louisville-cardinals/85923472/

when I'm not complaining about point guards, I'll complain about the media stiffing Purdue. :)

Reactions: Dakota Girl
I've been under the impression that we're in really good position with Williams, especially considering he's in our recruiting sweet spot (the Fort) and hopefully Biggie and Ray have been in his ear.
Now granted, this article was in the Indy star but the only mention of P is in the list of offers. They give iu and UL plenty of mention.
http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...diana-hoosiers-louisville-cardinals/85923472/

when I'm not complaining about point guards, I'll complain about the media stiffing Purdue. :)
Williams is not going to IU

Question for people who follow these recruits more than I do:

Is Williams a strict 4 player, or can he play the 5? The reason I ask is because I wonder if whoever recruits Williams will be out of the running for Jaren Jackson Jr., or whether it's conceivable that both players could play together.

Also is Jaren Jackson Jr. more of a 3 or a 4?

Is Williams a strict 4 player, or can he play the 5? The reason I ask is because I wonder if whoever recruits Williams will be out of the running for Jaren Jackson Jr., or whether it's conceivable that both players could play together.

Williams does not have the body of a typical 5 in the B1G. He would remind many of JJ at that same age. He projects as a 3/4 but not a 5.

I have seen him play 5 times in HS games. That is what I'm basing my opinions on.

The very little I've seen of video I see no reason why they couldn't play together. Personally, I prefer two 4's offensively. Motion allows them to play to their advantage physically should it exist...could interchange low and high post ..whatever was needed at the time.

Reactions: rascott107
JJ turned out to be pretty fair at 5 nonetheless.
Agreed that he did.

My comment about Williams reminding many of JJ was because of his body type. He is extremely thin and wiry. He also shoots from the outside much more than JJ ever did even as a Senior.

I'm not a recruiting expert, but I think anyone who has seen Williams play would agree that he doesn't project as a 5 in the B1G. Doesn't mean he couldn't, but it isn't likely. That was my point and trying to answer the question of rasrar of whether Williams is a 5 or 4. It really doesn't matter and in a motion offense the two can be interchanged. I was really referring to a more traditional 5 for those that had never seen him play.

Williams does not have the body of a typical 5 in the B1G. He would remind many of JJ at that same age. He projects as a 3/4 but not a 5.

I have seen him play 5 times in HS games. That is what I'm basing my opinions on.
Dry and Rasrar,
I would like to see Williams and Jackson together. Th
The very little I've seen of video I see no reason why they couldn't play together. Personally, I prefer two 4's offensively. Motion allows them to play to their advantage physically should it exist...could interchange low and high post ..whatever was needed at the time.
i would love to see this, Williams and Jakson as a double 4 combo. Great offensive approach and can make for a very agile defense as well not to mention one that can run and finish after forcing a turnover.

Dry and Rasrar,
I would like to see Williams and Jackson together. Th

i would love to see this, Williams and Jakson as a double 4 combo. Great offensive approach and can make for a very agile defense as well not to mention one that can run and finish after forcing a turnover.
I would be very surprised if we land one let alone both.

I would be very surprised if we land one let alone both.
I know zip about recruiting, after all, my information on the topic comes from here. Wether it is those two or two others, two 4's can be an excellent front court, especially if one is a good 3pt shooter. I'll keep my fingers crossed for those two.

I hear Williams is ours to lose and that Jackson is highly unlikely to come here.
If that is true, then Williams has been beyond low key with respect to his interest in Purdue...as he has mentioned just about anybody and everybody other than Purdue whenever discussing his recruitment.

He has already stated that he will announce his commitment on his Birthday, August 26th.
He backed off of that and said he was just going to announce his final list on his birthday.

He backed off of that and said he was just going to announce his final list on his birthday.
Which is disappointing...as he likely already knows where he is going, and by delaying, it is only extending the drama...not a trait that is overly desirable in a prospect. Certainly his prerogative, but, the longer it drags out/on, the less likely he ends up at Purdue...and despite what some have suggested, I am not even sure at this point where Purdue stands in his mind, as per what I had said above in this thread, he rarely mentions Purdue when talking about his recruitment.

He seems to be the best possibility of the loaded '17 in-state class, and Painter has to land someone, but I think his/Purdue's chances decline the longer the recruiting process continues for him.

Which is disappointing...as he likely already knows where he is going, and by delaying, it is only extending the drama...not a trait that is overly desirable in a prospect. Certainly his prerogative, but, the longer it drags out/on, the less likely he ends up at Purdue...and despite what some have suggested, I am not even sure at this point where Purdue stands in his mind, as per what I had said above in this thread, he rarely mentions Purdue when talking about his recruitment.

He seems to be the best possibility of the loaded '17 in-state class, and Painter has to land someone, but I think his/Purdue's chances decline the longer the recruiting process continues for him.
How do you know about any of what you wrote? I have no idea if he has interest in Purdue or not. We will know eventually. Unless you KNOW he has made his choice and is just milking the attention why would you say that he is? I don't understand the need to say something negative about a kid with zero knowledge to base it upon. There were the same type of comments on here about Biggie. It's a difficult decision for a kid to make. He should consider his options and do it on his timeline, not yours. As far as Purdues chances getting worse over time...maybe. Or maybe he actually likes another school better right now and more time could help Purdue. You're welcome to your negative thinking, I just don't understand it.

How do you know about any of what you wrote? I have no idea if he has interest in Purdue or not. We will know eventually. Unless you KNOW he has made his choice and is just milking the attention why would you say that he is? I don't understand the need to say something negative about a kid with zero knowledge to base it upon. There were the same type of comments on here about Biggie. It's a difficult decision for a kid to make. He should consider his options and do it on his timeline, not yours. As far as Purdues chances getting worse over time...maybe. Or maybe he actually likes another school better right now and more time could help Purdue. You're welcome to your negative thinking, I just don't understand it.
Some numbers(damn engineers). Reviewing the various sites there are 9 schools the MW is looking hard at(so far). Of those, 5 schools are well healed in the 4-5 positions. This leaves Mi St, Purdue, IL and Xavier. Doesn't mean this will be his final 4, but we are likely still in the running. I know there a many other factors that go into these decisions which we can't know until he tells us. I am not hung up on IN prospects. We have many strong PF prospects and not all of them are from IN. I hope we pull in one(or 2) that want to be at Purdue and fit our needs.

"5. Malik Williams proves he’s a potential big-time prospect

This spring, the most difficult top-100 prospect to gauge was Indiana native and 6-foot-10 big man Malik Williams. Williams was the only top-40 player who didn’t play for a shoe company team on the grassroots circuit this spring. He had no trackable stats of his games and he didn’t always face the best competition playing in independent events. At the Top 100 Camp, Williams proved he belonged in his current status by showing a lot of talent and upside against some of the nation’s best players. Finishing top 20 in the camp in rebounds, steals and blocks, Williams was a defensive presence while also shooting 41 percent from three-point range on 17 attempts. It’s hard to say where Williams will end up in the national rankings, but he has a lot of upside and plays with a smoothness you don’t see often from 6-foot-10 players."
http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/06/20/five-observations-from-the-nbpa-top-100-camp/

A close source said he favors Purdue and really likes CMP...but kids change their mind daily.

I've heard the same. Liked the development of JJ under Painter. It looks like this kid already has the outside game and range, just need to develop his interior post moves and he'll be a big time, legit prospect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT