ADVERTISEMENT

Malik Hall update

Status
Not open for further replies.
And you are the one who is going to help him get better at his job with your advice on a message board? Do you honestly believe that?

Who is really making pointless posts?

What’s wrong with you? So you now have to be a basketball guru in order to make the keen observation that Painter struggles landing top 50 talent? Is that where we’re at now? It doesn’t take a brain surgeon to understand that Matt Painter hasn’t exactly been a closer when it comes to landing the caliber of players needed to elevate the program. Dawson, Harris, Bluiett, JJJ, McGary, etc.

What’s wrong with you? So you now have to be a basketball guru in order to make the keen observation that Painter struggles landing top 50 talent? Is that where we’re at now? It doesn’t take a brain surgeon to understand that Matt Painter hasn’t exactly been a closer when it comes to landing the caliber of players needed to elevate the program. Dawson, Harris, Bluiett, JJJ, McGary, etc.
Have a question for you since this is eating you up that painter success only relies on getting top 50 recruits why don’t you get into coaching maybe you could do better. What you fail to realize these kids have their own minds and those top recruits many want promises and guaranteed playing time and if you get 1/2 of them you really think it’s right that a kid who has worked his ass off be pushed to the side bcuz a kid with a ranking behind his name will turn out better. What I think will happen this season is this team gonna shock college basketball in a way nobody gonna see coming. Loyola didn’t have 1 top 50 player on their team final 4 they went no matter whether luck involved or not they played the team in front of them and got to a final 4 and kentucky with 5 AA lost to Kansas state that Loyola beat. Duke with their AA lost didn’t make it either and I’m talking about this season and last season with the very recruits you wish painter to get. As a parent who went through this process since my son started getting recruited by heavy hitters from the 8th grade it’s more to this than you think you no unless you have gone through this process and listen to each each and their pitch you will see it’s not as easy as you think getting players who want more than just playing time this I no. It’s a lot of shady things that goes with this recruiting stuff and painter is pitching all the things many other coaches are pitching I no this cuz I heard many coaches pitches and some was just like his and some weren’t. This team has the pieces that actually get to a final 4 young or inexperienced as some are saying maybe true but have enough experience and youth with athletes skilled players shooters and size to match give them some games under their belt you might start looking at painter differently. I no my son is gonna shock college basketball cuz he’s being slept on he will show just how uniquely versatile he is and how he will be a matchup nightmare trying to be guarded. 2 months tha team about to put to bed this youth and inexperience movement but show that they gone battle and compete

Have a question for you since this is eating you up that painter success only relies on getting top 50 recruits why don’t you get into coaching maybe you could do better. What you fail to realize these kids have their own minds and those top recruits many want promises and guaranteed playing time and if you get 1/2 of them you really think it’s right that a kid who has worked his ass off be pushed to the side bcuz a kid with a ranking behind his name will turn out better. What I think will happen this season is this team gonna shock college basketball in a way nobody gonna see coming. Loyola didn’t have 1 top 50 player on their team final 4 they went no matter whether luck involved or not they played the team in front of them and got to a final 4 and kentucky with 5 AA lost to Kansas state that Loyola beat. Duke with their AA lost didn’t make it either and I’m talking about this season and last season with the very recruits you wish painter to get. As a parent who went through this process since my son started getting recruited by heavy hitters from the 8th grade it’s more to this than you think you no unless you have gone through this process and listen to each each and their pitch you will see it’s not as easy as you think getting players who want more than just playing time this I no. It’s a lot of shady things that goes with this recruiting stuff and painter is pitching all the things many other coaches are pitching I no this cuz I heard many coaches pitches and some was just like his and some weren’t. This team has the pieces that actually get to a final 4 young or inexperienced as some are saying maybe true but have enough experience and youth with athletes skilled players shooters and size to match give them some games under their belt you might start looking at painter differently. I no my son is gonna shock college basketball cuz he’s being slept on he will show just how uniquely versatile he is and how he will be a matchup nightmare trying to be guarded. 2 months tha team about to put to bed this youth and inexperience movement but show that they gone battle and compete

Good, I hope your son and Purdue DO shock the college basketball world. But why resort to, “why don’t you coach”? Geez ma’am I’m a fan. I’m not paid millions of dollars a year to not only coach basketball, but win basketball games. And part of Painter’s job description is RECRUITING. I’m not saying Painter’s recruiting is awful by any means, but you can’t sit there and tell me the most successful college programs, don’t consistently recruit the highest rated talent? Recruiting rankings aren’t a perfect science, nobody including myself has ever advocated that. But there is definitely a correlation to recruiting rankings and NBA players. More times than not, the higher rated the player, the better the talent they are.

Good, I hope your son and Purdue DO shock the college basketball world. But why resort to, “why don’t you coach”? Geez ma’am I’m a fan. I’m not paid millions of dollars a year to not only coach basketball, but win basketball games. And part of Painter’s job description is RECRUITING. I’m not saying Painter’s recruiting is awful by any means, but you can’t sit there and tell me the most successful college programs, don’t consistently recruit the highest rated talent? Recruiting rankings aren’t a perfect science, nobody including myself has ever advocated that. But there is definitely a correlation to recruiting rankings and NBA players. More times than not, the higher rated the player, the better the talent they are.
Sir 1 I never said you weren’t a fan I said in a previous post that you have a funny way of showing it. All I’m saying he’s trending in the right direction and that a final 4 is coming sooner than you think and what I’m saying it really is more to it getting those players than you think w/o compromising your team for a top tier recruit that is looking for more that could totally hurt the team chemistry is all I’m saying. Kids wanna see results sweet 16 is good however u no how hard it is to get to a sweet 16 and yet he’s done it back to back over 200 teams didn’t and some big time programs too. Loyola showed that and they got a top 50 recruit just bcuz they went to a final 4 otherwise they never wud have gotten a player of that status had they not made it to the final 4. Give this team a chance they I believe gonna be better than what is being written by them. Painter gets the kids that gets overlooked turns out to be better than their ranking carsen is an example of that. Tre hunter Aaron emanal Sasha will outshine their rankings just watch it unfold this season I see big things happening.

Sir 1 I never said you weren’t a fan I said in a previous post that you have a funny way of showing it. All I’m saying he’s trending in the right direction and that a final 4 is coming sooner than you think and what I’m saying it really is more to it getting those players than you think w/o compromising your team for a top tier recruit that is looking for more that could totally hurt the team chemistry is all I’m saying. Kids wanna see results sweet 16 is good however u no how hard it is to get to a sweet 16 and yet he’s done it back to back over 200 teams didn’t and some big time programs too. Loyola showed that and they got a top 50 recruit just bcuz they went to a final 4 otherwise they never wud have gotten a player of that status had they not made it to the final 4. Give this team a chance they I believe gonna be better than what is being written by them. Painter gets the kids that gets overlooked turns out to be better than their ranking carsen is an example of that. Tre hunter Aaron emanal Sasha will outshine their rankings just watch it unfold this season I see big things happening.

Loyola is a mid-major program who was irrelevant for 30 years inbetween NCAAT appearances. The second you start to compare Loyola to Purdue, you lose the argument. Purdue shouldn’t be relegated to a fluke F4 run simply because Loyola did it. If you take any kind of large sample size, the overwhelming majority of teams who make the F4, do so with top 50 and 5* recruits. That’s just fact. I’m not saying Painter needs 13 scholarship top 50 players, simply saying we need a couple top 50 guys to push this program over the top. That isn’t asking much.

Loyola is a mid-major program who was irrelevant for 30 years inbetween NCAAT appearances. The second you start to compare Loyola to Purdue, you lose the argument. Purdue shouldn’t be relegated to a fluke F4 run simply because Loyola did it. If you take any kind of large sample size, the overwhelming majority of teams who make the F4, do so with top 50 and 5* recruits. That’s just fact. I’m not saying Painter needs 13 scholarship top 50 players, simply saying we need a couple top 50 guys to push this program over the top. That isn’t asking much.

Making more friends I see...……

Making more friends I see...……

I don’t give a $hit. That’s what you don’t get. I’m not on here to win popularity contests, I’m on here to discuss basketball. Forgive me for not getting behind an idea that Painter doesn’t need to improve his recruiting because a mid-major program like Loyola went on a fluke F4 run without any top 50 players. Look at the the other 3 teams in the F4, Kansas, Michigan, and Nova were all chalked full of kids in the top 50. Now look at previous years. The teams with the best talent get to the F4 more times than not. Don’t make this harder than it needs to be.

K got it.

Reactions: Schnelk
There was a great article about this exact point. CMP was really frustrated and was at a card game with some friends and a man he didn't know suggested he take a personality test and have his players/recruits take one as well. It has allowed CMP to see his strengths and his weaknesses and how those line up with his players. This is why you see a lot of current and recent players say CMP is a total players coach who is fair and balanced but some of his older former players say they wish they had this CMP as a coach although they still respect him with no end. I believe Robbie said the same thing while broadcasting a game last season. I think this is also why CMP has been able to increase his recruiting ability to a much higher degree over the last 3 years.
Do you think he is recruiting the players to his personality or trying to adapt to theirs? The rule of thumb used to be to coach your personality. Perhaps it is a bit of both?

I don’t give a $hit. That’s what you don’t get. I’m not on here to win popularity contests, I’m on here to discuss basketball. Forgive me for not getting behind an idea that Painter doesn’t need to improve his recruiting because a mid-major program like Loyola went on a fluke F4 run without any top 50 players. Look at the the other 3 teams in the F4, Kansas, Michigan, and Nova were all chalked full of kids in the top 50. Now look at previous years. The teams with the best talent get to the F4 more times than not. Don’t make this harder than it needs to be.
Why you getting so upset tho that’s what I don’t understand. You seem so pissed of that painter hasn’t done enough to fill your needs. I’m gonna support him bcuz neither I or you can change anything that goes on in this program that you seem to take very personal bcuz he’s not getting the players you want. Kansas duke Kentucky North Carolina Louisville Arizona gets all those players if you want those type of players than those are the teams you might wanna root for bcuz right now my son who was a top 100 kid deserves better and he will absolutely outshine his 70 something ranking and so will many of his teammates. In the end painter can’t force these kids to come Purdue he’s selling the same pitch as many other top tier coaches are he sold me and my son on his program and his ideas. He has more connections to the nba than u no and that is what matters NBA personnel are at his practices Like at duke Kentucky bcuz he has nba caliber players on this team whether 2/3/4 year players this I no bcuz I have seen them when I have attended his practice. Your points are well taken and I have no dispute with you and I’m not trying to argue just giving you my opinions. You have a bless evening sir maybe I’ll see you at Mackey arena this season I’ll be there wearing my son #20 jersey very proudly supporting my boiler makers.

Do you think he is recruiting the players to his personality or trying to adapt to theirs? The rule of thumb used to be to coach your personality. Perhaps it is a bit of both?
I think it is much more about understanding his players and knowing who he can push certain ways and when he may need to be a bit more soft handed, so to say. Also, I think he figured out some stuff about himself and possibly why he was reacting a certain way to some things because since that 2011 (off the top of my head) season, he has really been appeared to be a different kind of guy on the sideline.

Why you getting so upset tho that’s what I don’t understand. You seem so pissed of that painter hasn’t done enough to fill your needs. I’m gonna support him bcuz neither I or you can change anything that goes on in this program that you seem to take very personal bcuz he’s not getting the players you want. Kansas duke Kentucky North Carolina Louisville Arizona gets all those players if you want those type of players than those are the teams you might wanna root for bcuz right now my son who was a top 100 kid deserves better and he will absolutely outshine his 70 something ranking and so will many of his teammates. In the end painter can’t force these kids to come Purdue he’s selling the same pitch as many other top tier coaches are he sold me and my son on his program and his ideas. He has more connections to the nba than u no and that is what matters NBA personnel are at his practices Like at duke Kentucky bcuz he has nba caliber players on this team whether 2/3/4 year players this I no bcuz I have seen them when I have attended his practice. Your points are well taken and I have no dispute with you and I’m not trying to argue just giving you my opinions. You have a bless evening sir maybe I’ll see you at Mackey arena this season I’ll be there wearing my son #20 jersey very proudly supporting my boiler makers.
BAB is an angry man. He is one of those folks who thinks everyone else but him gets the breaks. His comment about the FF teams being loaded with top 50 players (they are not "loaded") was enough to settle my perspective on him. He doesn't care about your opinion, your very real recruiting experiences, or how Painter is doing the right things to grow this team. In fact he doesn't care about the way he comes across on this board. He is just looking for someone, anyone, to tell him that he is right. It ani't going to be me.

BAB is an angry man. He is one of those folks who thinks everyone else but him gets the breaks. His comment about the FF teams being loaded with top 50 players (they are not "loaded") was enough to settle my perspective on him. He doesn't care about your opinion, your very real recruiting experiences, or how Painter is doing the right things to grow this team. In fact he doesn't care about the way he comes across on this board. He is just looking for someone, anyone, to tell him that he is right. It ani't going to be me.

Yeah I’m an angry man because I think Purdue is above trying to emulate Loyola Chicago’s basketball program. Yeah man, you sure got me figured out.

Yeah I’m an angry man because I think Purdue is above trying to emulate Loyola Chicago’s basketball program. Yeah man, you sure got me figured out.
What I don’t understand is why you feel the need to be such an ass to your fellow Boilermakers. Never have understood that sort of rude behavior toward people who have the same goals and same interests as you do.

Just leave and join another team. You are clearly a fan of only 1% of college basketball players. Sorry, we disappointed you. I'm sure you are just perfect in every aspect.

Reactions: cjcollie and BBG
What I don’t understand is why you feel the need to be such an ass to your fellow Boilermakers. Never have understood that sort of rude behavior toward people who have the same goals and same interests as you do.

Gee I don’t know, maybe it’s the fact that I’ve been called a troll or an IU fan but multiple people who simply don’t agree with me? I as a Purdue fan want to see Purdue reach that next level of success. I understand that reaching that next level of success is going to start by recruiting better talent. You may or may not agree with me, but that doesn’t make me a troll or an IU fan.

Just leave and join another team. You are clearly a fan of only 1% of college basketball players. Sorry, we disappointed you. I'm sure you are just perfect in every aspect.

I’ll pass. Painter is paid millions of dollars a year to coach basketball. Part of his job description is recruiting. It’s Painter’s job to recruit the best players that puts his teams in the best position. As an alumnus of the University it is well within my right to voice my frustration and displeasure that Painter isn’t getting it done on the recruiting trail. It’s been 18 years since Purdue last eclipsed the Sweet 16, Purdue basketball is capable of more.

Gee I don’t know, maybe it’s the fact that I’ve been called a troll or an IU fan but multiple people who simply don’t agree with me? I as a Purdue fan want to see Purdue reach that next level of success. I understand that reaching that next level of success is going to start by recruiting better talent. You may or may not agree with me, but that doesn’t make me a troll or an IU fan.
And you really think crying about it on an anonymous message board is the answer? How about you join the JPC? If you already are a member - up how much you give. I'm sure you'll come back and tell us how you already are a member. Here's a tip for you babs - bitching about the program/coach on a message board doesn't help recruiting...in fact one could make an argument that it hurts. So by you coming on here and whining like you do - you're actually part of the problem you say exists.

Last edited:
But you somehow are arrogant enough to think that you have the insight to fix it for him. Understand that there are about 350 Div 1 basketball programs. That means that more than 300 of them will not sign a Top 50 player this year. Or next year. You are acting as if Matt Painter should listen to your advice and he will be one of the schools that loads up on Top 50 players. If you are correct, please stop posting it on a public message board. send it directly to Painter. We don't want your secret to get to the other 299 schools.

But you somehow are arrogant enough to think that you have the insight to fix it for him. Understand that there are about 350 Div 1 basketball programs. That means that more than 300 of them will not sign a Top 50 player this year. Or next year. You are acting as if Matt Painter should listen to your advice and he will be one of the schools that loads up on Top 50 players. If you are correct, please stop posting it on a public message board. send it directly to Painter. We don't want your secret to get to the other 299 schools.
When folks post like an arrogant asshole, we have a hard time believing they are actually Purdue fans. That is why BAB got called a troll and an IU fan. Right from the first post on here, BAB has been tough to read, combative, and unrelenting in his "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude.

When questioned or challenged, he typically responds with insults. Not a nice guy. Maybe some guidance will help him, but probably not.

Now that is something I can see him needing to do and I never thought of that angle.

It's almost like you're not just recruiting a player, but the entire family and friends as well. I mean, that would just drive me nuts to have to do that.

Keady

Purdue trying to emulate Loyola???

Seriously??

At you I laugh....

Reactions: Cthreepo
This really got away from the Original Topic. Not surprised by the internet forums .

While I'm reading this I get the feeling that Bay Area is ok with cheating in order to reel in top recruits as many of the Top 50 are in some way financially incentivized to go to their committed school .

You know, MSU and USA Gymnastics hired someone that also employed a win at all cost mentality. I'd rather align myself with the moral and ethics of our athletic personnel than join the win at all cost mentality

Any insider update on how Hall's visit is going so far? I'd sure like to add him to the fold.
Haven’t heard anything about the visit so far. (And certainly not an insider.) But did see a twitter that both MSU (Izzo, Fife and Garland) and Oklahoma (Kruger and Hartman) made visits to him on 09/13/18, the day before his official visit to us. Also saw that 247sports recently changed their predictions from Purdue 50%, MSU 25% and Oregon 25%, to Purdue 75% and Oregon 25%. I have very little faith left in 247sports predictions that favor us, but curious why both MSU and OU saw fit to go see him just before his ov to us. Especially MSU sending 3 guys. (Painter did a visit to him a week ago.) https://mobile.twitter.com/iammalikhall?lang=en

Last edited:
Haven’t heard anything about the visit so far. But did see a twitter that both MSU (Izzo, Fife and Garland) and Oklahoma (Kruger and Hartman) made visits to him on 09/13/18, the day before his official visit to us. Also saw that 247sports recently changed their predictions from Purdue 50%, MSU 25% and Oregon 25%, to Purdue 75% and Oregon 25%. I have very little faith left in 247sports predictions that favor us, but curious why both MSU and OU saw fit to go see him just before his ov to us. https://mobile.twitter.com/iammalikhall?lang=en
I haven’t seen him post anything on social media since yesterday which was is a photo of him wearing a Purdue jersey.

Reactions: Boilermaker24
Haven’t heard anything about the visit so far. (And certainly not an insider.) But did see a twitter that both MSU (Izzo, Fife and Garland) and Oklahoma (Kruger and Hartman) made visits to him on 09/13/18, the day before his official visit to us. Also saw that 247sports recently changed their predictions from Purdue 50%, MSU 25% and Oregon 25%, to Purdue 75% and Oregon 25%. I have very little faith left in 247sports predictions that favor us, but curious why both MSU and OU saw fit to go see him just before his ov to us. Especially MSU sending 3 guys. (Painter did a visit to him a week ago.) https://mobile.twitter.com/iammalikhall?lang=en

That is interesting. They made a visit and their ranking/changes went to zero the following day. I have to believe the crystal ball experts know more than what is publically known.

This brings up a question. Most of these crystal ball experts are scouts and sports media types. Can somebody tell me who their source of information mainly comes from? The recruit? Teammates? School coach? AAU coach? Family? Local media? The college coaches and recruiters? Creeping on people's twitter posts?

With my son, I knew of some of his offers, but I didn't know all of them. And in most cases, the coach talked to my son and not me. So if some crystal ball guy telephoned me, I would have provided some really inaccurate information.

I'm not saying these guys are wrong. I'm just curious as to what their prime sources are.

This is his own post on Instagram. Perhaps he liked or retweeted a photo on Twitter?

The feed I’m looking at is @Iammalikhall. His last post there was Aug 18 showing himself in a Purdue jersey in the center of a picture with himself in 4 other jerseys around the perimeter. If you scroll down in my link past the Sept 13 message posted by GoldandBlack.com noting his officisl visit to us, you’ll see a Sept 12 post by jakeweingarden which mentions the Sept 13 visits by MSU and OU. You’ll also have to go past an Eric Bossi post to get there.

Last edited:
That is interesting. They made a visit and their ranking/changes went to zero the following day. I have to believe the crystal ball experts know more than what is publically known.

This brings up a question. Most of these crystal ball experts are scouts and sports media types. Can somebody tell me who their source of information mainly comes from? The recruit? Teammates? School coach? AAU coach? Family? Local media? The college coaches and recruiters? Creeping on people's twitter posts?

With my son, I knew of some of his offers, but I didn't know all of them. And in most cases, the coach talked to my son and not me. So if some crystal ball guy telephoned me, I would have provided some really inaccurate information.

I'm not saying these guys are wrong. I'm just curious as to what their prime sources are.
I think things happened in reverse. Looks like 247sports had changed their 1 prediction for MSU to The Good Guys a week earlier, and then MSU suddenly did an in home/school visit en masse a few days later.

Concerning how these guys get their info, not sure of all their sources. But I’m from NW Indiana, and about 12 years ago heard enough from various sources concerning the Baby Boilers to know well in advance that we were getting all of Moore, Hummel and Martin. I even was told in advance the day on which Martin was committing.

I hope everything goes well with your quadruple bypass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schnelk and tjreese
The feed I’m looking at is @Iammalikhall. His last post there was Aug 18 showing himself in a Purdue jersey in the center of a picture with himself in 4 other jerseys around the perimeter. If you scroll down in my link past the Sept 13 message posted by GoldandBlack.com, you’ll see a Sept 12 post by jakeweingarden which mentions the Sept 13 visits by MSU and OU.
You are looking at Twitter and I am looking at Instagram.

I

This really got away from the Original Topic. Not surprised by the internet forums .

While I'm reading this I get the feeling that Bay Area is ok with cheating in order to reel in top recruits as many of the Top 50 are in some way financially incentivized to go to their committed school .

You know, MSU and USA Gymnastics hired someone that also employed a win at all cost mentality. I'd rather align myself with the moral and ethics of our athletic personnel than join the win at all cost mentality

Where in the hell do you come off thinking I’m ok with cheating? What post of mine even hints at that idea? Are you insinuating that every top 50 player is illegally recruited? Because it sure sounds like. And what in the hell does Larry Nassar have to do with Painter’s inability to land top 50 recruits? What a time to be alive.

You are looking at Twitter and I am looking at Instagram.

I
My original post says it was a twitter. I don’t follow any of our recruits on either Twitter or Instagram, just do searches for them using google to see what public news is there on any of them.

Last edited:
Maybe the family noticed their silverware was missing after the MSU gang left.

Maybe the family noticed their silverware was missing after the MSU gang left.
I’m thinking MSU lost their prediction vote before their en masse visit to Hall on the 13th, but I like your version better and think we should let people know that may be how Ratso Izzo operates.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Where in the hell do you come off thinking I’m ok with cheating? What post of mine even hints at that idea? Are you insinuating that every top 50 player is illegally recruited? Because it sure sounds like. And what in the hell does Larry Nassar have to do with Painter’s inability to land top 50 recruits? What a time to be alive.

You jump all over people for misreading your posts and you misread mine. I didn't say every. I said many. As you've said on your posts and people misreading, there is quite a difference in the words "every" and "many".

As Tweed said, Painter uses a very similar pitch. So why aren't we getting them? Well one can speculate there is some form of cheating involved in order for those players to go to that school they choose.

So my point of Nassar is this: how many times did someone bring up the abuse at MSU and they turn a blindeye to it? Win at all costs. How is that any different than cheating?

And to sum it all up, if Painters pitch is the same as others but they aren't choosing Purdue it seems like you would be ok with cheating in order to land top 50 recruits. Again not saying every top 50 is involved in some form of cheating but many are.

And if you're not ok with Painter cheating, cool. Then just simply tell us what he needs to do from your point of view to get what you think will make us viable in the final 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT