ADVERTISEMENT

Malik Hall Crystal Ball

There’s more to it than injury, luck and matchups. I don’t believe Purdue has been unlucky for 38 years with only 2 Elite 8s to show for it over that time. Eventually it comes down to players and coaching.
Purdue doesn’t have to be unlucky all 38 years. All it really takes is another of the 350 or so teams to be lucky each year.

Pretty good odds there.

Reactions: Gary Boiler
Injuries and luck. It's all about placement and matchups. No guarantees, of course, but you can't deny Michigan had a hilariously easy path. Purdue got an key injury and was placed in the same bracket as Villanova.

Purdue went 2-1 against the runner up for the national title, but only made it to the sweet 16.

Eagles won because they had a former starter for the Eagles, former pro bowler, and former NFL passer rating leader to come in as a backup. It's not like Curtis Painter trying to replace Manning there.

I am not exactly sure what broad point you are trying to make, it seems to have been pulled off the path. But in Painter has had a pretty good run at Purdue. A lot of programs would give anything for multiple sweet 16s and conference titles. Not to mention, Purdue has had a player in contention for the national player of the year for what will be the third straight year.

Purdue had a very easy path to reach the Final Four in 2000 and they still lost their Elite Eight game.

You think I didn't know that? I was pointing out that you cherry picked to make your argument.

So which BIG teams haven't been to a FF in 40 year?
I didn’t cherry pick anything. I simply stated that the last time we were in the FF was 38 years ago, if it was 40 years, I would have used that number.
Without looking it up, I’m going to guess PU, northwestern, Rutgers, PSU and Nebraska. That’s some pretty sad basketball company to be associated with.

Reactions: nagemj02
In the last 30 years, how many big ten teams have won the tourney? One, Michigan state

Purdue had a very easy path to reach the Final Four in 2000 and they still lost their Elite Eight game.

I would say an elite 8 as a six seed is pretty good/lucky. And they were pretty dang close to going to a final for as a 6.

Edit: looking back at those scores is crazy. 80 points would be like scoring 100 nowadays. Oh how the game has changed.

Reactions: Gary Boiler
They lost to a worse-seeded team that they were familiar with in every way. There's no excuse for that. They blew their chance to be in the Final Four.

Now, let the Malik Hall discussion continue.

Reactions: mreeser
I have 4 degrees. of the 4, Purdue was by far the hardest to achieve. Although, while at Purdue I changed my majors 5 times, and was part of the school of science, the school of management, and the school of education. When comparing universities, there are some schools at Purdue that are very academically challenging, but not all. In my humble opinion, Purdue's School of Education is a cakewalk compared to many of Purdue's other degree offerings. if I had started out in the Purdue's School of Education, I could have easily made the Deans list every semester. You may call me stupid for taking and completing 4 semesters of calculus and 2 semesters of Chemistry. Those 6 courses were HARD. But I did complete them which is something 95% of the world's college students can't say and wouldn't even try.

my degrees from UTSA and USF do not compare with my degree from Purdue. They were a cakewalk by comparison. However, the two best job offers I ever received were as a student at USF.

So I'll ask , what's the point of attending Purdue and staying up studying every night , if you can get better job offers attending a school that could care less about it's academic standards? isn't the point of college to prepare yourself to get a job?

and I'll also admit, there are many degrees at Purdue that are very challenging, but there are also many degrees offered at Purdue that are relatively easy. And I don't see very many athletes coming to Purdue with the desire of taking thermo dynamics. or the 4 semester calculus series.

if you're an elite athlete, why would you choose Purdue over a lesser academic school like UK, Kansas, Louisville, or Xavier ? because you also want to become an aerodynamical engineer? or because you believe would better develop your basketball talents? or because of the beauty of our campus? We just had 5 boilermaker basketball players graduate. At least 3 still have pro basketball aspirations. I'm curious, what were their degrees in? Who was the last 4/5 star elite athlete that came to Purdue to get an engineering degree?

I'm being serious. Why? because while Purdue may have a lofty reputation as being a challenging academic school, the reality is that many of Purdue's degrees are just as easy to complete as the degree programs at colleges Purdue fans say are papermill colleges.

I'll go on record as saying USF and Auburn are papermill colleges. but if you're a smart person, why burn yourself out for 4 years at Purdue, if you can get a better job offer graduating from Auburn or USF ? Wouldn't you rather party hearty for 4 years, accept your diploma, and then accept that 6 figure job that is waiting for you? Why work hard for something, when you can have something twice as good at half the effort?

I'm beginning to think this entire thing about having ethics, pride, and working hard is the wrong avenue to take. and just use contacts rather than your skills and intelligence to get a job.
I'm guessing your other degrees are graduate level degrees, which would explain why they're getting better jobs than a bachelor's (unless your Purdue degrees are also masters/PhDs).

I think without a doubt Purdue over the last 30 years is known as a hard nosed program. It attracts a certain blue collar type of player. Additionally, all reports indicate that Painter is brutally honest with recruits, which, like anything else, appeals to some and turns off others.
He's not the only "honest" coach. You guys act like he has cornered the market on it or something.
As for hard work, you don't go to any top program expecting not to work hard.

He's not the only "honest" coach. You guys act like he has cornered the market on it or something.
As for hard work, you don't go to any top program expecting not to work hard.
Whoa! Thank you Captain Obvious! None of us would have even guessed at this truth. So glad you used your 4th post on this board to remind us all that other schools have basketball programs. Who would have thought?

I didn’t cherry pick anything. I simply stated that the last time we were in the FF was 38 years ago, if it was 40 years, I would have used that number.
Without looking it up, I’m going to guess PU, northwestern, Rutgers, PSU and Nebraska. That’s some pretty sad basketball company to be associated with.
Most of those years Purdue really wasn't good enough to get there (and in some cases not good enough to beat them on their court) and the times they were, injuries played a huge roll. In the last decade roughly, Purdue had two teams "capable of getting there" and the other team was almost 3 decades ago. The 88 team probably took KSU light (not Keady, but the players early)...nerves got to them and Richmond is so far off he banks it in to take that team out. Had Purdue made it 3 times in the last 30 years...it wouldn't be discussed. Most the time Purdue has been very good, but not a "GREAT" enough team. Those few times when Purdue was "good enough" to get there...injuries have played a role

I remember Monte Hall from the good old days to.

"That's right folks.....the deal of the day......all you have to do is click on the thread.....great knowledge and wisdom can await you......OR.......perhaps you've wasted some time (including this reply).....let's see how this works out for you....

ZONK!"

ezgif-1-41158d4fcd.gif

"That's right folks.....the deal of the day......all you have to do is click on the thread.....great knowledge and wisdom can await you......OR.......perhaps you've wasted some time (including this reply).....let's see how this works out for you....

ZONK!"

ezgif-1-41158d4fcd.gif

Available this fall just north of Ft Wayne...…..Auburn IN auction
1960 Edsel Ranger Four-Door Sedan
63365976-770-0@2X.jpg

Estimate between $40,000 and 50,000...……..
Can you believe it?

I don't think this is bonefish. More likely it is BoiledIron, SNU, or JimmygoIU. Lenny has his faults, but using multiple ID's is not one of them.
Lol you go on and on about how I make threads terrible, but all you have done the last two days is pointlessly argue with IU fans about Romeo. Now you are dragging me into this nonsense thread where @BoiledSteel is yet again attacking another Purdue fan. Eventually you guys will see there is a common denominator in all of the argument threads.

Lol you go on and on about how I make threads terrible, but all you have done the last two days is pointlessly argue with IU fans about Romeo. Now you are dragging me into this nonsense thread where @BoiledSteel is yet again attacking another Purdue fan. Eventually you guys will see there is a common denominator in all of the argument threads.
Don't sweat it Iron. I had not seen posts from you in a while and thought maybe you had pissed off the mods and had to come back as someone different. Looking back at Montana's posts, no you are not him.

Reactions: BoilerIron
Eventually you guys will see there is a common denominator in all of the argument threads.
See the difference is I don't start the problem, I respond to it. You go out of your way to deface threads and deserve all the flak you take for it.

Perfect example is in this thread alone of all the things I mentioned above. And then you specifically call me out when I haven't responded to you in ages. All you're doing is solidifying the stigma you have given yourself on here.

I put you on ignore because I have you figured out and know you have nothing of substance to add and all you want to do is slander all things Purdue. Thankfully others have picked up on your antics so you aren't fooling anyone.

I made the mistake of viewing your ignored content and won't do that again. So enjoy having the last word and then you can run back to your iu buddies on peegs and brag about it.

Don't sweat it Iron. I had not seen posts from you in a while and thought maybe you had pissed off the mods and had to come back as someone different. Looking back at Montana's posts, no you are not him.
You ever notice that iron and steel have similar type names and seem to come around a lot at the same time? Makes you wonder....

Anyway how about that Malik Hall!

The difference is the amount of carbon... ;)
EDIT: Well played. But I am not like others on here and post only using one ID. Only reason to have more than one is to assume you are going to do something to get banned at some point.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT