ADVERTISEMENT

Made #1 in best and WORST fanbases in college football.

:cool: "IU sucks!" Looks like the media laughs at your circle jerk as well.

If you read the article you will see it's based entirely on revenue. Considering 3 of every 4 people in the state of Indiana that are otherwise unaffiliated pull for IU (and buy their merchandise) and considering Purdue has the smallest athletic budget in the Big Ten (with the possible exception of Northwestern), it's not surprising.

Oh, and "IU sucks!" :D (The cheer is kind of lame, but the fact that it obviously gets under IU fans' skin enough to get you to post here and the "IU hometown newspaper" [Indy Star] to write about it makes it seem a lot less lame.)

This is based upon a model of questionable accuracy. As the article indicates early on, it is a fool's errand to try to rank these things. The outcome is inherently subjective.

Reactions: Professor Emeritus
We can debate schools not listed near the bottom (Kansas couldn't draw 25,000 for their season opener) --- but I agree, listing WVU as the second worst is a dead give away that there's something wrong with the methodology.

“If we cast the question of fandom in terms of brand strength, then we can turn a bar-room debate into a marketing science-based analysis.” Based on the following metrics:

1) "Revenue premium,” meaning, in the simplest possible terms, how much revenue the college brings in relative to other, similar universities. It’s a measure of the intensity of passion.

2) “Return on investment,” how well the school’s investment in football pays off on the field and in the stands. It’s a measure of the efficiency of the program.

3) Straight football revenue, a measure of the size of the program.
I have several issues with this study:

1) This doesn't make any sense. Who says "biggest brand" is synonymous with "best fanbase"? McDonald's doesn't have the best food. Budweiser doesn't have the best beer.

2) Which of the stated metrics dock OSU and Bama for being good? Was there a subjective fudge factor used at the end? I can't believe those two schools don't show up in the top 5 based solely on the metrics listed.

3) I'm shocked that an attempt to measure "best fanbases" doesn't include attendance somewhere in the equation. These people are overthinking this.

4) 538 did a more complete study of the biggest fanbases, which in itself is a complicated subject. But then to try to rank fans based not on size but quality, it's almost impossible. How many "average" fans are worth one "die hard"?

Ah, yes, gibberish from yet another Yea-who. A product of the Riverwood International Charter School. Tripe-writing for a search-engine still in search of integrity. Nearly as uncredible as a product of the Goober Pile Skool of Jurnelusm.

Gotta run and get my Riverwood cap at Lids. Founded by a Boilermaker.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT