ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Maye trajectory

northside100

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 11, 2001
For those who don’t think that Cline can have a true breakout season or that walk ons can becone major contributors, check out the write up on Maye towards the bottom of this article.

Perfect comparison to Ryan and Grady? Of course not, but it shows that players can make a huge one year jump when given the opportunity and can far outplay their recruiting ranking given time to develop.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ge-basketball-espn-preseason-all-america-team

He put up 27 against WV. Give him space and let him get into rhythm
I just don't see it. He has gotten significant time in games before, and his career high is 15 points. He has played 24+ minutes in a game 10 times in his career. His average in those 10 games is 7.9 pts. I expect him to be around 9 pts/gm this season. He won't be getting as many open looks this year as he has in the past either since Haas isnt down low.

I'm sure he will have some low 20 point games, but he is very streaky. There will be games where he probably doesn't score.

I just don't see it. He has gotten significant time in games before, and his career high is 15 points. He has played 24+ minutes in a game 10 times in his career. His average in those 10 games is 7.9 pts. I expect him to be around 9 pts/gm this season. He won't be getting as many open looks this year as he has in the past either since Haas isnt down low.

I'm sure he will have some low 20 point games, but he is very streaky. There will be games where he probably doesn't score.

I think 10-12 ppg sounds about right. More so worried about how well he can defend for 25-30 mpg. He's defense progressed well towards the end of last year but he's going to have to guard a lot more quicker and lengthier players full time this year with his new role.

He played only 1 of those 10 games over 24 minutes as junior. He scored 13 in that game and shot 5/7 from 3. He did have a 0-7 shooting dud against Fairfield. The other 9 games were as a Frosh (4) and Soph (5).

My point is, these are 18-22 year olds not even close to their athletic primes. They could surprise you by their growth in the offseason and a shooter's luxury of not having to worry about getting benched for missed shots.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
He played only 1 of those 10 games over 24 minutes as junior. He scored 13 in that game and shot 5/7 from 3. He did have a 0-7 shooting dud against Fairfield. The other 9 games were as a Frosh (4) and Soph (5).

My point is, these are 18-22 year olds not even close to their athletic primes. They could surprise you by their growth in the offseason and a shooter's luxury of not having to worry about getting benched for missed shots.
None of the games over 24 minutes were as a freshman. 9 were as a Sophomore when he averaged 21 min/gm. His average min/gm fell to 17 last season.

I doubt Cline got more athletic this offseason. I think he will be our 3rd leading scorer behind Carsen and EB.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion - no matter how wrong they are

From what I have been hearing about Cline, I think he is ready for a breakout season his senior year. 27 against WV in the not so secret secret scimmage! I think he could hit 30 in a game this year. I am pretty sure Carsen will be the first one to do it though. Seems like we got spanked by WV pretty bad. Hopefully we can use that scrinnage as a way to learn and improve. As far as the season goes, anything less than an NCAA selection and a finish in the top 5 of the Big Ten would be a major disappointment.

Reactions: Futureboiler
Luke Maye is on many pre season A.A.teams...
Cline is a nice player..
But I'd take Mathis all day .Even if he has growth in his game..

Not saying there’s a direct correlation but the point is that Maye went from being an afterthought as a sophomore to an AA candidate as a senior. I don’t think anyone outside of his family saw Maye as more than a ‘nice player’ going into last year.

Most people don’t like to think very much, so the easiest solution is to take known data points, i.e. prior year performance or recruiting rating and base their projections on that limited data. Frankly that’s a good 80% rule approach, but the other 20% results in huge surprises for players and teams every year.

Those stats are misleading. He was playing with some of the top scoring players in Purdue history. When you have 2 or 3 of those on your team, it will be difficult for anyone to score 30 points. Because they don't have to.

Those stats are misleading. He was playing with some of the top scoring players in Purdue history. When you have 2 or 3 of those on your team, it will be difficult for anyone to score 30 points. Because they don't have to.
Given that, having seen Cline play for 3 years now, I don't anticipate him scoring 30+ pts in a game. Could he? Yes, if he gets hot.

Given that, having seen Cline play for 3 years now, I don't anticipate him scoring 30+ pts in a game. Could he? Yes, if he gets hot.

I could see him getting unconscionably hot and going 9/12 from three and hitting that mark. But in a 40 minute basketball, with a 30 second shot clock, you're going to have to take a high volume of shots and/or get to the line a lot. Unless Cline just can't miss, I think it hurts the team if he's taking 17-18 shots a game. Also never struck me as a guy who is good at getting to the foul line. I think a realistic mark for Cline this year is too average anywhere from 10-12 pts a game on 4 or 5 shots made to 9 or 10 attempts. Anything more is just asking for empty possessions unless he's just shooting out of his mind.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

This is correct. Most people like simplicity but this is not a simple equation as not only will Cline’s minutes increase, his scoring opportunities per minute played will increase significantly. Hope he’s up to the task, should be interesting.

Reactions: Knights2715
This is correct. Most people like simplicity but this is not a simple equation as not only will Cline’s minutes increase, his scoring opportunities per minute played will increase significantly. Hope he’s up to the task, should be interesting.
So we should expect 30 point games from all of our players that will see their minutes and scoring opportunities per minute increase? Scoring 30 points is not an easy thing to do. How many times did Haas, Vince, or Dakota score 30? The answer is zero.

I don't think it's crazy to think that Ryan Cline won't accomplish something that the three mentioned above never did. Carsen has scored at least 30 points only 1 time in his career.

So we should expect 30 point games from all of our players that will see their minutes and scoring opportunities per minute increase? Scoring 30 points is not an easy thing to do. How many times did Haas, Vince, or Dakota score 30? The answer is zero.

I don't think it's crazy to think that Ryan Cline won't accomplish something that the three mentioned above never did. Carsen has scored at least 30 points only 1 time in his career.

Not to mention, Dakota never even attempted more than 15 shots in a game, and he was one of the most efficient players last year. Cline is a shooter, not a scorer. There's a difference. And as a shooter, unless you are hitting at an incredibly high rate, it's just not feasible to score 30 points. In Carsen's 30 point game last year (actually 40) he attempted 19 shots but also shot 16 FT's. Cline attempted SIX FT's total last year, and only 30 in his 3 years.

The problem of Cline is that he isn't able to score under basket, which make him more inconsistent in scoring from game to game.

I understand that it’s easier for you to look at things in simplistic terms which would cause you to miss the entire point of my post.

Reactions: BBG and BoilerAndy

Again you simplify too much. When you have multiple players on the all-time scoring list on the same team, it should be no surprise when they don't score 30 points.

Reactions: Purdue85
Again you simplify too much. When you have multiple players on the all-time scoring list on the same team, it should be no surprise when they don't score 30 points.
And Cline is playing with one of the best scorers to attend Purdue... do you honestly expect Cline to have a 30 pt game? Do you realize how many shots that would take and what kind of percentage he would have to shoot? He isn't a guy to get to the free throw line, and he isn't a guy to score inside the lane, so he would have to hit 9 or 10 3s (Purdue record is 8).

And Cline is playing with one of the best scorers to attend Purdue... do you honestly expect Cline to have a 30 pt game? Do you realize how many shots that would take and what kind of percentage he would have to shoot? He isn't a guy to get to the free throw line, and he isn't a guy to score inside the lane, so he would have to hit 9 or 10 3s (Purdue record is 8).
Really? In your mind that is absolutely the only possible way someone could score 30 points?

He just scored 27 points in a scrimmage against WV. Doing that again, plus adding 3 more points, in an actual game is completely impossible according to you. I'll just repeat the wise words of treed and tell you to let the season play out.

I just want to point out, Cline scored 27 points in a "SCRIMMAGE" . We have no idea what the floor dimensions were. , or what the rules of the scrimmage were. or who was on the court at the same time. Or who his defenders were. or what his +/- was. Or what his defense was like. or if that even resembled our potential game plan. and add in the fact, WV played without several of their key players. and also gave a lot of minutes to their inexperienced freshmen. All you have to go by is a partial box score.

WV was without their star center, and yet haarms took only 2 shots? in a real game situation, I believe Painter would take advantage of that mismatch and haarms would have taken more shots negating the need for Cline to fire away from outside.

Given - Cline scored 27 points. Will he continue to do so in a real live game situation? on a regular basis? Did Dakota or Vince do it last year? I think you need to go back and revisit Painter's offensive philosophy. players pass the ball around and hit the open man rather than one guy taking all the shots. if any player is going to take a lot of shots, I have to believe that player would be Carsen, and Cline will play a supporting role much like Dakota played last year.

Could Cline score 30 a night? Yes. if he was afforded the opportunity to take 12-15 threes a game. Is that very likely? based on past history - no. but that's why we play the games.

Really? In your mind that is absolutely the only possible way someone could score 30 points?

He just scored 27 points in a scrimmage against WV. Doing that again, plus adding 3 more points, in an actual game is completely impossible according to you. I'll just repeat the wise words of treed and tell you to let the season play out.
I didnt say it was the only way SOMEONE could. I said it was the only way CLINE could. He isnt a threat to get to the foul line and he isnt a threat inside the arc. Maybe you should take your own advice and let the season play out before proclaiming Cline as a 30 pt scorer.

I just want to point out, Cline scored 27 points in a "SCRIMMAGE" . We have no idea what the floor dimensions were. , or what the rules of the scrimmage were. or who was on the court at the same time. Or who his defenders were. or what his +/- was. Or what his defense was like. or if that even resembled our potential game plan. and add in the fact, WV played without several of their key players. and also gave a lot of minutes to their inexperienced freshmen. All you have to go by is a partial box score.

WV was without their star center, and yet haarms took only 2 shots? in a real game situation, I believe Painter would take advantage of that mismatch and haarms would have taken more shots negating the need for Cline to fire away from outside.

Given - Cline scored 27 points. Will he continue to do so in a real live game situation? on a regular basis? Did Dakota or Vince do it last year? I think you need to go back and revisit Painter's offensive philosophy. players pass the ball around and hit the open man rather than one guy taking all the shots. if any player is going to take a lot of shots, I have to believe that player would be Carsen, and Cline will play a supporting role much like Dakota played last year.

Could Cline score 30 a night? Yes. if he was afforded the opportunity to take 12-15 threes a game. Is that very likely? based on past history - no. but that's why we play the games.
We were down 19 at the half, which meant we had to be quicker on offense and take more 3s. Cline got hot and hit 7/12.

Yes. It was clearly stated that he scored 27 in a SCRIMMAGE. And the follow-up comments was about whether he could do it in an actual game. BTW, all of the other players -- on both teams -- played in the same scrimmage with all of the same freedoms and constraints as Cline did.

You are the first to suggest that Cline might score 30/game. I doubt it happens, but I applaud your optimism.

I could see him getting unconscionably hot and going 9/12 from three and hitting that mark. But in a 40 minute basketball, with a 30 second shot clock, you're going to have to take a high volume of shots and/or get to the line a lot. Unless Cline just can't miss, I think it hurts the team if he's taking 17-18 shots a game. Also never struck me as a guy who is good at getting to the foul line. I think a realistic mark for Cline this year is too average anywhere from 10-12 pts a game on 4 or 5 shots made to 9 or 10 attempts. Anything more is just asking for empty possessions unless he's just shooting out of his mind.
I look for him to take between 12 and 14 a game. That’s all we want.

Yes. It was clearly stated that he scored 27 in a SCRIMMAGE. And the follow-up comments was about whether he could do it in an actual game. BTW, all of the other players -- on both teams -- played in the same scrimmage with all of the same freedoms and constraints as Cline did.

You are the first to suggest that Cline might score 30/game. I doubt it happens, but I applaud your optimism.

I'd like to say he could score 30 in a game. I also doubt it happens or that he even scores 20 points a game on a regular basis. But it could happen. Didn't Vince, Dakota and Haas all come close to scoring 30 points in a game last year?

With our current team, the conditions have to be right. if the game is a blowout, he won't score 30, as Painter will probably give more minutes to his bench players to gain experience. if the game is close, Painter will probably have the team feed the ball inside to draw fouls. the only way I see it happening is if Purdue gets behind by 20 points, and Painter gives the green light to fire away. And unfortunately, I'm too optimistic to believe this team will ever get behind by that many points in any game this year.

Cline has the talent to hit 30 points a night. I just don't see ANY boilermaker including Carsen doing so as part of our offense. I just believe we are too team oriented for any one player to score that many points. Admittedly it has happened. but not very often.

I'd like to say he could score 30 in a game. I also doubt it happens or that he even scores 20 points a game on a regular basis. But it could happen. Didn't Vince, Dakota and Haas all come close to scoring 30 points in a game last year?

With our current team, the conditions have to be right. if the game is a blowout, he won't score 30, as Painter will probably give more minutes to his bench players to gain experience. if the game is close, Painter will probably have the team feed the ball inside to draw fouls. the only way I see it happening is if Purdue gets behind by 20 points, and Painter gives the green light to fire away. And unfortunately, I'm too optimistic to believe this team will ever get behind by that many points in any game this year.

Cline has the talent to hit 30 points a night. I just don't see ANY boilermaker including Carsen doing so as part of our offense. I just believe we are too team oriented for any one player to score that many points. Admittedly it has happened. but not very often.
I can easily see Carsen getting 5 30 point games

Then I wonder why you suggested it?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT