ADVERTISEMENT

Logan Taylor in portal today

Let me set the record straight. This is not the 80-90’s Today’s high school players start weight training, conditioning and eating supplements in 9th grade. I’m not against red shirting. However I am against red shirting for the sole purpose of adding 40-60 pounds in one year and building muscle and strengthening. A D1 player should already be at his optimal weight and strength when he arrives. Look at Rondale Moore. He was a 3 star high school receiver and he did a lot of weight training and strengthening in high school. I would expect all 3,4 and 5 star athletes to be just as ready as Rondale.

I believe it’s obvious there are many 300 pound lineman coming out of high school. I’m of the opinion it is better and easier to teach a lineman the fundamentals and techniques of their position, rather than wasting a year feeding them supplements in hopes they gain 50 pounds!

Some coaches love speed! But if you have a passing offense, a speedy lineman is not a priority! Why you really need is a beefy lineman who has proper blocking techniques and can protect the QB.

So I like a nice 300-320 pound lineman who is ready to play and arrives on campus at that weight and is already strength prepared.

It’s like I said, today’s high school athletes are already in weight training programs in high school and strengthening programs. And Purdue is not an FCS school. We should not be recruiting athletes who are nuggets and 240-250 pounds. Those players are for the MAC schools and below!

And this was a huge complaint of mine in the past. I asked the question why is Purdue recruiting undersized linemen whose only other offers were from fcs schools. And I made the point that if other BIG 10 schools are not interested in those linemen, why should we? At the time, we were recruiting a lot of 2 star and low 3 star linemen.

Brohm’s recruitment of linemen improved over the past 2-3 years verses what Hazell recruited. I’m still seeing Iowa recruit some of the best Indiana linemen. Purdue needs to change that.

Sometimes this board and its members fixate on a comment maxed 5-6 years ago. And they totally forget the context of the comment. It’s like the Les miles comment. That post was made once 6 years ago. And people totally forgot the context of that post as well.

As for this lineman, I like his size. He’s big enough. But what I like more is that he played for a power 5 school rather than a mac or aac or other lesser school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT