ADVERTISEMENT

Liking Loyer

At first I was like what is Painter doing starting Loyer over Newman. But I think its obvious Loyer is the better player. Nothing flashy, but knows how to get to the basket and obviously is a great shooter.

Reactions: Schnelk
At first I was like what is Painter doing starting Loyer over Newman. But I think its obvious Loyer is the better player. Nothing flashy, but knows how to get to the basket and obviously is a great shooter.
Loyer is a better player. Have to give credit to Painter for being flexible, many coaches would just automatically pencil in Newman as the starter

One thing I like about Loyer is his confidence in himself. He can miss the first 2 to 3 shots, but then he will hit his next 3 to 4 shots.

Many freshmen start to hesitate, force and/or doubt themselves, when their shots don't go down. He doesn't seem to be bothered by this.

I also think highly of Loyer, but I think Newman's spark coming in with the second unit has been critical to many of our wins. He comes in and scores. Newman is one of the best at making his own shot, and he has learned to defend pretty darned well.
And both have been making assists. That has been one of Newman's biggest areas of improvement.

I also think highly of Loyer, but I think Newman's spark coming in with the second unit has been critical to many of our wins. He comes in and scores. Newman is one of the best at making his own shot, and he has learned to defend pretty darned well.
Newman has proved what some of us were saying last year about him

Agreed, but the amount of hate he still gets from a mistake or two is getting a bit old. Other players make similar mistakes multiple times per game yet they are not crucified like Newman is on game threads and comments.
I have to clarify here, my reply wasn't that clear, I was one of the posters clammoring for more PT last year esp when some of our guards had prolonged shooting slumps. Scorers like Newman have to work thru some miscues and the only way is to play thru them. The dude is a good rebounder and has proven to be a good defender as well.

I have to clarify here, my reply wasn't that clear, I was one of the posters clammoring for more PT last year esp when some of our guards had prolonged shooting slumps. Scorers like Newman have to work thru some miscues and the only way is to play thru them. The dude is a good rebounder and has proven to be a good defender as well.
Sorry I also need to clarify, it wasn't intended to be an attack on you, just yelling to yell as it has bothered me recently.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT