ADVERTISEMENT

Lies about pre-existing conditions protection

Are you equating "you can keep your doctor" with the dodgy GOP position on healthcare? Because that's just stupid.

I'll vote for a republican again when they come up with a plan to address the nation's healthcare. Until then, this registered republican is voting straight ticket democrat.
The ACA has solved the healthcare issues in this Country. Premiums only went up 8% for me this year. This is a very complicated issue as no one is mandated to have insurance yet everyone is guaranteed service.
Redistribution of wealth is defined by get old or get sick.
How much does the subsidies for the ACA and Medicaid expansion cost.
Vote how you want, that is your right. Just don't be ignorant.

The ACA has solved the healthcare issues in this Country. Premiums only went up 8% for me this year. This is a very complicated issue as no one is mandated to have insurance yet everyone is guaranteed service.
Redistribution of wealth is defined by get old or get sick.
How much does the subsidies for the ACA and Medicaid expansion cost.
Vote how you want, that is your right. Just don't be ignorant.
Well, then, we should just continue on how we always have, cost explosion, pre-existing conditions, and premium rates be damned. That's the GOP way, and they're in the courts fighting for it.

You want to talk about cost? Because my impossibly high rates are already subsidizing emergency room visits by the un- and under-insured.

You call it redistribution of wealth because you don't want pay for it, but the minute your life changes -- and, trust me, your life can turn on a terrible, heartbreaking, gut-wrenching dime -- you will thank your Lord and savior that people like me cared enough to fight over this issue.

Reactions: indy35
Well, then, we should just continue on how we always have, cost explosion, pre-existing conditions, and premium rates be damned. That's the GOP way, and they're in the courts fighting for it.

You want to talk about cost? Because my impossibly high rates are already subsidizing emergency room visits by the un- and under-insured.

You call it redistribution of wealth because you don't want pay for it, but the minute your life changes -- and, trust me, your life can turn on a terrible, heartbreaking, gut-wrenching dime -- you will thank your Lord and savior that people like me cared enough to fight over this issue.

I call it redistribution of wealth when you get old or get sick because it's how the system is set up.
Go to a nursing home. We currently pay close to $80,000 a year for my mom to live there.
Next door a woman getting the same care is getting her care paid for by the tax payers because she doesn't have the money to pay for it herself.
Get sick. See above.
Now I'm not suggesting to throw these people in the street by any sense of anyone's imagination. Just stating the facts.
If you have the money the health care system will get theirs from you first. There are ways to hide some of this money but the collectors can go back 7 years so if you get sick oh well.

Reactions: SKYDOG
I call it redistribution of wealth when you get old or get sick because it's how the system is set up.
Go to a nursing home. We currently pay close to $80,000 a year for my mom to live there.
Next door a woman getting the same care is getting her care paid for by the tax payers because she doesn't have the money to pay for it herself.
Get sick. See above.
Now I'm not suggesting to throw these people in the street by any sense of anyone's imagination. Just stating the facts.
If you have the money the health care system will get theirs from you first. There are ways to hide some of this money but the collectors can go back 7 years so if you get sick oh well.
Fascinating

Fascinating

7 years ago I spent over 2 months in the hospital due to illness. A hospital rep. asked me a bunch of questions about my financial situation and the ability to pay the hospital in case my insurance wouldn't.
She get po'd when she asked how many vehicles I owned. I answered 13. She says I'm serious, you could be responsible for these bills. I said lady I put license plates on 13 vehicles but own more than that and it's time for me to quit answering these questions.
In a conversation I had with the doctor, shortly afterward, he advised there were 22 patients on my re-hab floor. Only 4 of us were on private insurance. The other 18 were on Medicaid. I was the second oldest on the floor. I talked with him about what a shame it was for someone to work for 35 years and lose everything if they get sick. He commented "and you have probably paid more taxes in 35 years than these 18 individuals combined on this floor'. His comments not mine.
More fascinating stuff for you.

Reactions: SKYDOG
Get sick. See above.
I went through the same until my mother passed. She didn't get any better care by us paying the bill. It really missed me off that the nursing home was billing us $25000 more per year than they could get from the Medicare Medicaid patients.

The same goes on with medical care as you know. I had a very small piece of flesh removed and I get billed $3800. The facility would only be able to collect roughly $700 if I was on Medicare. This is so wrong and no one is doing anything about it.

7 years ago I spent over 2 months in the hospital due to illness. A hospital rep. asked me a bunch of questions about my financial situation and the ability to pay the hospital in case my insurance wouldn't.
She get po'd when she asked how many vehicles I owned. I answered 13. She says I'm serious, you could be responsible for these bills. I said lady I put license plates on 13 vehicles but own more than that and it's time for me to quit answering these questions.
In a conversation I had with the doctor, shortly afterward, he advised there were 22 patients on my re-hab floor. Only 4 of us were on private insurance. The other 18 were on Medicaid. I was the second oldest on the floor. I talked with him about what a shame it was for someone to work for 35 years and lose everything if they get sick. He commented "and you have probably paid more taxes in 35 years than these 18 individuals combined on this floor'. His comments not mine.
More fascinating stuff for you.

Great doctor you have there, sounds like a compassionate m*********er.

I went through the same until my mother passed. She didn't get any better care by us paying the bill. It really missed me off that the nursing home was billing us $25000 more per year than they could get from the Medicare Medicaid patients.

The same goes on with medical care as you know. I had a very small piece of flesh removed and I get billed $3800. The facility would only be able to collect roughly $700 if I was on Medicare. This is so wrong and no one is doing anything about it.

I, too, hate it when poor people get sick or need help. It makes me feel guilty when I have to turn my back on them. Why can't they either be rich or healthy? It's bullshit, really.

Is that what I wrote? I don't remember wording it that way.

Let's review the current situation, shall we.

Democrats in congress successfully passed and implemented the Affordable Care Act, which, among other things, guaranteed Americans with pre-existing conditions the opportunity to buy reasonably priced health insurance. Since that time, republicans have railed against the Act, and they have voted to repeal it tens if not hundreds of times.

Now that it appears to be in their best interests, republicans who voted to repeal the Affordable Care Act are running on the very policy they voted against tens if not hundreds of times.

You go ahead, vote for that, and keep calling me crazy for not.

I recall that when the ACA was being debated that everybody (dems and Repbs alike) agreed that pre-exisiting conditions were an issue that needed to be corrected. The problem was the rest of the ACA and the corresponding tax that Repubs didn't like.

I believe that they even tried to pass a more limited bill covering pre-existing conditions but Dems held back wanting the whole ACA or nothing.

Last edited:
Great doctor you have there, sounds like a compassionate m*********er.

I, too, hate it when poor people get sick or need help. It makes me feel guilty when I have to turn my back on them. Why can't they either be rich or healthy? It's bullshit, really.
I'm certainly not against helping poor people. I'm against the system.

I recall that when the ACA was being debated that everybody (dems and Repbs alike) agreed that pre-exisiting conditions were an issue that needed to be corrected. The problem was the rest of the ACA and the corresponding tax that Repubs didn't like.

I believe that they even tried to pass a more limited bill covering pre-existing conditions but Dems held back wanting the whole ACA or nothing.
I believe the GOP plan for covering pre-existing conditions centers around allowing the market to set the premiums. In other words, no coverage for pre-existing conditions.

If I'm wrong about this, please educate me because I want to go back to voting for tax cuts as soon as possible. Loves me some tax cutses.

Reactions: indy35
I believe the GOP plan for covering pre-existing conditions centers around allowing the market to set the premiums. In other words, no coverage for pre-existing conditions.

If I'm wrong about this, please educate me because I want to go back to voting for tax cuts as soon as possible. Loves me some tax cutses.

I mis-stated it a bit, while the GOP's bill didn't explicitly outlaw denying coverage due to pre-existing conditions a lot of GOP lawmakers did feel it should be outlawed. I was correct on the point that both sides agreed pre-existing conditions was a problem back then, it was just a matter of how much larger the rest of the healthcare reform bill should be. I believe the other point everybody agreed on was that healthcare should not be dropped once you got sick (that is also discussed in the article).

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/04/health/policy/04health.html

Wish I could find more but 2009 seems like worlds ago politically.

ADVERTISEMENT