ADVERTISEMENT

Let's Play B1G Dominos.

But I brought these names up several years ago. They were very logical and made a lot more sense than adding Rutgers, Maryland and Nebraska. Adding the latter three schools was more about $$$$ than academics.

Those schools made more sense to you, but not to the schools in the B1G - so did it actually make more sense?

IMO the only schools in serious consideration by the b1g right now: Notre Dame, Washington, Oregon, North Carolina and possibly UVA and Stanford. Just not really seeing what other schools would add at this point.

IMO the only schools in serious consideration by the b1g right now: Notre Dame, Washington, Oregon, North Carolina and possibly UVA and Stanford. Just not really seeing what other schools would add at this point.
I would be even more restrictive after reading about Oregon/Washington viewership numbers.
I think it’s ND and then whoever ND wants to bring with them.

I’ve always been a bit skeptical about Oregon.
- They would be a drain of talent…. They get a lot of their players from other states. The exact opposite of adding a Virginia, per se, where it would open up fertile recruiting ground.
- What happens when Knight is no longer pumping millions into the program?
- they don’t have good academics.

I'd add Florida State and Georgia tech to that list. Possibly Colorado, Cal, and Arizona as well. All of those seem less likely, though.

Dream scenario would be Oregon, Washington, North Carolina, and Florida State. Massive fan bases all over the country, some of the biggest programs representing both of the revenue sports, all good schools academically. Don't think that'll happen, though.

I would be even more restrictive after reading about Oregon/Washington viewership numbers.
I think it’s ND and then whoever ND wants to bring with them.

I’ve always been a bit skeptical about Oregon.
- They would be a drain of talent…. They get a lot of their players from other states. The exact opposite of adding a Virginia, per se, where it would open up fertile recruiting ground.
- What happens when Knight is no longer pumping millions into the program?
- they don’t have good academics.
Doubt big ten would just let notre dame pick whoever they want. In fact, I can pretty much guarantee that wouldn't be the case.

I'd add Florida State and Georgia tech to that list. Possibly Colorado, Cal, and Arizona as well. All of those seem less likely, though.

Dream scenario would be Oregon, Washington, North Carolina, and Florida State. Massive fan bases all over the country, some of the biggest programs representing both of the revenue sports, all good schools academically. Don't think that'll happen, though.
I could see fsu, but I'm guessing they're waiting for an sec invite which is probably going to come. None of those other schools you listed make sense to me. I do agree with the dream scenario though. I think it's actually very realistic other than fsu. But who knows, maybe they jump at the offer of a b1g invite.

Last edited:
Reactions: joseole101

Florida State, Colorado, Arizona and likely Cal are not going to happen. FSU is going to SEC if anywhere. Colorado and Arizona to the BigXII if anywhere. Cal is in a tough spot. They have neither the following Stanford does, not the big $ alumni.

Reactions: MichaelRR
It has been written that in the B1G's eyes, Notre Dame is the only program that would grow the financial pie. What is the point of more expansion if each school gets a smaller piece? Are we shooting for 2 auto bids in the CFP?

Reactions: njm8845
The number of purdue fans that want/think it's a good idea to bring Notre Dame into the fold is mind-boggling. They add nothing TV market-wise. They aren't the national powerhouse they were and always shit the bed in big games (look up their new years six bowl record). They have spurned the Big Ten time and time again when approached for expansion.

**** their arrogance, **** their fan base, they don't deserve a lifeline. Adding them only hurts purdue recruiting-wise. If you're a purdue fan there are zero good reasons for hoping Notre Dame joins.
I agree but It'll also be funny seeing them as a annual 7-5 or 8-4 team 😂

OkSt is no better than IowaSt as an addition.... next to nothing...... additionally I don't see the university presidents giving up the AAU requirement for anyone but ND, its a BIG matter of pride for the Big Ten presidents and faculty.... far more than casual fans realize

Except let us not forget that Nebraska is not an AAU school, are they? Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Except let us not forget that Nebraska is not an AAU school, are they? Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
They were when they joined and then the AAU made a change to how they figured one of the criteria and it cost Nebraska membership. NU is still working on rejoining. No Non-AAU member but ND will be offered or considered, take it to the bank. The shared research money dwarfs the athletics money, they won't put a penny before a pound.

I would venture to say the Irish are sitting back watching the dominoes fall. They already joined the Big for hockey which helped in a big way. They litterally hold all the cards. They could join any conference they want to. If the ACC gets raided, then it makes it clear what is their best option..

ADVERTISEMENT