Let's Play B1G Dominos.

Feb 7, 2007
OK, most of the articles I've read indicate the B1G is likely not done and list off any number of possibilities. Who do you think will be next up and why? I've also added my wild a$$ guesses which mean less than nothing.

1. Notre Dame - National presence, they aren't as important as they think they are anymore and I don't see them going to the SEC.
2. Washington/Oregon - Lock on the Pacific Northwest. Oregon has tons of Nike money. They won't want to be left out of the huge TV deal with the B1G.
3. North Carolina/Duke - Lock up the Raleigh/Durham/Greensboro market which has a reach into all the neighboring states. Both are good schools (especially Duke) and have excellent BB programs along with OK FB programs. The B1G could use some inroads into the South and this could give them that.
4. Stanford/Cal - Longshots. They would lock up the SF bay area. Both have excellent university credentials but neither have a big time presence in either FB or BB. The days of Elway are long past.
5. Clemson, FL State, Miami - Terrible schools unless you like to party and I can't see them going anywhere but the SEC.
5. Kansas - No thanks. What's left of the Big 12 can have them. They are just a BB school with laughable university credentials.

OK, give it your best shot.

Reactions: purduepat1969

POTFHBTFU

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 25, 2021
Football drives this whole discussion so I would take UNC, Duke, Cal, Kansas off. Oregon has to be acknowledging the pac is now dead unless it can poach top teams from big 12 so I think we are Oregon and Washington make a run. Maybe a fifth team from west like Stanford to balance out 4 divisions of 5 which is good for non revenue sports. Then note dame acknowledges the seismic shift and joins to round out 20. I see clemson, florida state, Miami going to SEC along with oklahoma state.

indyogb

Junior
Jul 7, 2001
I guess UNC and Oregon are the two best remaining options. I loathe Oregon, so I'm they will probably be added. Probably Stanford, the "Hahvahd of the West" too, based on the hate criteria. :D

I feel really bad for a bunch of good schools that are the "Purdue" of their state - Oregon State, Iowa State, and some others. They're getting absolutely shafted by this mess. The only reason Purdue is safe is because the Big Ten, (maybe) our status as a founding member, and our academic reputation is better than most of the remaining "left-overs". I really think these schools are under-valued and college athletics is turning into a minor league pro system, which is antithetical to its intended purpose. I know it has been the de facto minor leagues for decades, but recent monetary decisions seem to be accelerating the process.

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
Football drives this whole discussion so I would take UNC, Duke, Cal, Kansas off. Oregon has to be acknowledging the pac is now dead unless it can poach top teams from big 12 so I think we are Oregon and Washington make a run. Maybe a fifth team from west like Stanford to balance out 4 divisions of 5 which is good for non revenue sports. Then note dame acknowledges the seismic shift and joins to round out 20. I see clemson, florida state, Miami going to SEC along with oklahoma state.
Thing is, you can't make these decisions based on the past. It's more like buying stocks.

UNC doesn't have a great football tradition, but you might argue that they have been hampered by being in the same conference as in-state foes NC State, Duke, and Wake. If they were to be elevated as the premier school in a state with a booming population and fertile recruiting ground, a lot could change. They already have the largest fan base by far.

Some of the calculus in these decisions must be what becomes of the schools that get left behind. Do they become MAC level programs or do they continue to thrive on their own and compete for local/regional dollars? Will the ACC, Pac12, Big12 continue to have a seat at the same table as B1G and SEC?

TX4GB

All-American
May 19, 2012
Stanford would help draw Notre Dame. It would also give USC and UCLA fans a game location that is somewhat drivable. Duke might be a Big East basketball only school. Virginia would be considered over them I think.

Reactions: TheGunner

Wolegib

All-American
May 23, 2013
i could go with stanford and notre dame.

i'd rather have CAL than Washington.

several years ago I provided choices for potential expansion: Iowa st, Missouri, Notre dame, Kentucky and Tennessee. I based those choices based on geographic proximity. and people called me FOS!! they still do.

look out the window. everything you used to hold dear has been totally thrown out thanks to the media, Texas, OK, USC, UCLA, and ESPN, $$$$$$$ and the NIL.

Oct 19, 2014
Candidates for future expansion:

20:
Notre Dame
North Carolina
Oregon
Washington

24:
Notre Dame
North Carolina
Oregon
Washington
Georgia
Florida

njm8845

Senior
Jul 1, 2008
Am I crazy to not be impressed with Oregon? Low population, not good for recruiting.

and I know they’re like a top 20 program now, but that’s WITH all the Nike money. They were a joke before that and what happens when Knight dies in a few years?

my want list of reasonable candidates:

1. Norte dame
2. Washington
3. Stanford. Huge market, which TV execs eat up. pristine academics, which presidents eat up. Gives the other PAC 12 schools another neighbor.
4. UNC - bigger fan base than Oregon. Bigger market than Oregon. Better school than Oregon. Better recruiting grounds than Oregon. Closer than Oregon.

Reactions: Scout70

purduepat1969

All-American
Sep 28, 2011

several years ago I provided choices for potential expansion: Iowa st, Missouri, Notre dame, Kentucky and Tennessee. I based those choices based on geographic proximity. and people called me FOS!! they still do.

look out the window. everything you used to hold dear has been totally thrown out thanks to the media, Texas, OK, USC, UCLA, and ESPN, $$$$$$$ and the NIL.
They called you FOS because you are FOS. Nothing more, nothing less. You do realize if you stopped bragging on yourself and your D1 athlete son, people here might take you more seriously?

Reactions: PUQBMan.
May 12, 2013
The number of purdue fans that want/think it's a good idea to bring Notre Dame into the fold is mind-boggling. They add nothing TV market-wise. They aren't the national powerhouse they were and always shit the bed in big games (look up their new years six bowl record). They have spurned the Big Ten time and time again when approached for expansion.

**** their arrogance, **** their fan base, they don't deserve a lifeline. Adding them only hurts purdue recruiting-wise. If you're a purdue fan there are zero good reasons for hoping Notre Dame joins.

Mar 17, 2022
OK, most of the articles I've read indicate the B1G is likely not done and list off any number of possibilities. Who do you think will be next up and why? I've also added my wild a$$ guesses which mean less than nothing.

1. Notre Dame - National presence, they aren't as important as they think they are anymore and I don't see them going to the SEC.
2. Washington/Oregon - Lock on the Pacific Northwest. Oregon has tons of Nike money. They won't want to be left out of the huge TV deal with the B1G.
3. North Carolina/Duke - Lock up the Raleigh/Durham/Greensboro market which has a reach into all the neighboring states. Both are good schools (especially Duke) and have excellent BB programs along with OK FB programs. The B1G could use some inroads into the South and this could give them that.
4. Stanford/Cal - Longshots. They would lock up the SF bay area. Both have excellent university credentials but neither have a big time presence in either FB or BB. The days of Elway are long past.
5. Clemson, FL State, Miami - Terrible schools unless you like to party and I can't see them going anywhere but the SEC.
5. Kansas - No thanks. What's left of the Big 12 can have them. They are just a BB school with laughable university credentials.

OK, give it your best shot.
Rumor has it Oregon and Washington have already stated an interest and the BT is waiting on ND to decide before expanding further.

Stanford and Cal are non-starters.... remember the BT network gets 1$ per cable subscription for each household in the state. USC and UCLA were a package deal, but that locks out anymore California schools as they do not being in as much revenue as they would be sucking up. Its why Iowa States phone calls to the BT office never get returned, they add nothing meaningful to the conference revenue.

ND adds no new eyeballs in that sense either but they carry a lot more weight for the Fox contract set to be renegotiated next year.

Oregon and Washington expand the footprint and add more revenue for the BT network

I am guessing UVA or UNC for the 20th member as they fit academically and add new states to the footprint.

njm8845

Senior
Jul 1, 2008
Stanford and Cal are non-starters.... remember the BT network gets 1$ per cable subscription for each household in the state. USC and UCLA were a package deal, but that locks out anymore California schools as they do not being in as much revenue as they would be sucking up. Its why Iowa States phone calls to the BT office never get returned, they add nothing meaningful to the conference revenue.

ND adds no new eyeballs in that sense either but they carry a lot more weight for the Fox contract set to be renegotiated next year.

Oregon and Washington expand the footprint and add more revenue for the BT network

I am guessing UVA or UNC for the 20th member as they fit academically and add new states to the footprint.
I don’t think it’s as simple as “$1 for everyone in the state”. Are you sure about that? I think there are different tiers, and a market may spill over into another state. For instance, I remember one reason why Mizzou was not attractive is because St. Louis was already a certain tier due to proximity to Illinois. Same with Rutgers and the NYC market.

njm8845

Senior
Jul 1, 2008
The number of purdue fans that want/think it's a good idea to bring Notre Dame into the fold is mind-boggling. They add nothing TV market-wise. They aren't the national powerhouse they were and always shit the bed in big games (look up their new years six bowl record). They have spurned the Big Ten time and time again when approached for expansion.

**** their arrogance, **** their fan base, they don't deserve a lifeline. Adding them only hurts purdue recruiting-wise. If you're a purdue fan there are zero good reasons for hoping Notre Dame joins.

I want to play ND. Out of all ND’s opponents, they’ve played Purdue the second most number of times. It was a good rivalry.

Besides that, there are significant money reasons for wanting them to join.ND, along with Texas, had always been the gold prize of conference expansion. It’s ridiculous to say they don’t bring anything TV market wise. How do you think they got their own TV contact? Purdue is not generally recruiting against them anyway… I don’t think being in the same conference will change that.

Reactions: PUQBMan.

njm8845

Senior
Jul 1, 2008

Wait… people called you FOS because you provided a silly list of schools? And now you think you’re vindicated because exactly zero of those schools have indeed joined the conference??

I remember a lot of people wanting Iowa state, which is a complete head scratcher to me. Same with Pitt. I’m glad those in charge have thought bigger.

Mar 17, 2022
I don’t think it’s as simple as “$1 for everyone in the state”. Are you sure about that? I think there are different tiers, and a market may spill over into another state. For instance, I remember one reason why Mizzou was not attractive is because St. Louis was already a certain tier due to proximity to Illinois. Same with Rutgers and the NYC market.
It may be state plus regional market, but that still leaves Stanford and Cal out in the cold for the same reasons Missouri, Iowa St and Pitt have no prayer of BT membership.

Wolegib

All-American
May 23, 2013
They called you FOS because you are FOS. Nothing more, nothing less. You do realize if you stopped bragging on yourself and your D1 athlete son, people here might take you more seriously?
Do I detect jealousy? I never bragged about him or his accomplishments or his school!
Yet people like you keep bringing it up!

I offer differing opinions, speculative thoughts and links that back up my ideas! I see very few others here that come close to doing the same! My posts are longer than two sentences and that annoys people!

I said Brohm seems to like to over recruit at certain positions and you call me names! And then say you blocked me long ago but still comment about my posts.

let’s see. Brohm has 2 WR transfers from Iowa, has 4 verbals for WRs and is holding another spot open for another possible WR recruit. But that’s not over recruiting one position, because I must be FOS!

Like I said, rather than agreeing with my obvious observations, you’d rather call me FOS. And then bring my son into the discussion! You talk more about my son than I do! You are so obsessed with my son, why don’t you start your own thread about him!!! You obviously know who he is!