ADVERTISEMENT

Let's ease up on Hazell. Why was he put in this position? It's not all his fault.

Aug 13, 2005
From what I can tell, Hazell is an upstanding human being. I think he loves Purdue, and he's doing the best he can. There are many factors involved in this thing beyond his control. I honestly don't think Nick Saban could be successful in the poisonous environment that Purdue currently has across the board. It is VERY clear that Hazell should have been fired a long time ago, but the timing of MB retiring, the contract money, and the football facility being finished in the spring, all pointed to a lame duck year, an awkward year everyone knew wouldn't go well. This is not all Hazell's fault.

Hazell himself has to be very surprised that he was retained for this year. He probably wanted out, but who can blame him for fullfilling his contract and doing the best he can for the rest of his money? It's NOT his fault he is still around.

The question is, who let this happen?? Why is Hazell put in this position? Let's be angry at them. Many people are responsible for sinking this ship. Most are anonymous, thus shielded from criticism, and you can bet they'll be around when Hazell is gone. They won't be held accountable for anything. THIS IS THE PROBLEM. We have a president who publicly says he does not care about wining games or competing on a national level. The university is too conservative here. (I don't mean this in a political sense of the term.) It plays on its heel; its not being aggressive; it doesn't put up lights or improve the jumbotron; it signs stupid contracts; it's not joining the arms race; not getting the right people, etc., etc.

Having said all this, yes, we have a right to be angry, and something has to be done. I don't know all the politics, the X's and O's, but I do know something has to be done to show the fans that the university cares about football. As a matter of pride and accountability, we can expect at least a .500 team with a bowl appearance now and then, a team that is competitive; a team worth watching.

I want to be clear: We have a right to be angry. But I don't think it's fair to scapegoat one person. Yes, unfortunately coaches get the brunt of the criticism, and as everyone will remind me, he is making millions of dollars. I get that. That's just the way it is, and some criticism is fair. But also, let's remember who put Hazell in this shitty position. It is not right to scapegoat him this much. Often times the wrong people get blamed for things. Instead, we must indict the entire system.

I say we back off the witch hunting and name calling. Let's support our team and our coach one week at a time. Yes, that means supporting Hazell!! He will be gone soon enough. It's the other goons we have to worry about.

Last edited:
Reactions: since1980
From what I can tell, Hazell is an upstanding human being. I think he loves Purdue, and he's doing the best he can. There are many factors involved in this thing beyond his control. I honestly don't think Nick Saban could be successful in the poisonous environment that Purdue currently has across the board. It is VERY clear that Hazell should have been fired a long time ago, but the timing of MB retiring, the contract money, and the football facility being finished in the spring, all pointed to a lame duck year, an awkward year everyone knew wouldn't go well. This is not all Hazell's fault.

Hazell himself has to be very surprised that he was retained for this year. He probably wanted out, but who can blame him for fulling his contract for the rest of his money? It's not his fault he is still around.

The question is, who let this happen?? Why is Hazell put in this position? Let's be angry at them. Many people are responsible for sinking this ship. Most are anonymous, thus shielded from criticism, and you can bet they'll be around when Hazell is gone. They won't be held accountable for anything. THIS IS THE PROBLEM. We have a president who publicly says he does not care about wining games or competing on a national level. The university is too conservative here. (I don't mean this in a political sense of the term.) It plays on its heel; its not being aggressive; it doesn't put up lights or improve the jumbotron; it signs stupid contracts; it's not joining the arms race; not getting the right people, etc., etc.

Having said all this, we have a right to be angry, and something has to be done. I don't know all the politics, the X's and O's, and often times the wrong people get blamed for things, but I do know something has to be done to show the fans that the university cares about football. As a matter of pride and accountability, we can expect at least a .500 team with a bowl appearance now and then, a team that is competitive; a team worth watching.

I want to be clear: We have a right to be angry. But I don't think it's fair to scapegoat one person. Yes, unfortunately coaches get the brunt of the criticism, and as everyone will remind me, he is making millions of dollars. I get that. That's just the way it is, and some criticism is fair. But also, let's remember who put Hazell in this shitty position. We have to indict the entire system.

I say we back off the witch hunting and name calling. Let's support our team and our coach one week at a time. Hazell will be gone soon enough. It's the other goons we have to worry about.
Uh yeah, we sorta know all that, but thanks for the recap.

Hazell himself has to be very surprised that he was retained for this year. He probably wanted out, but who can blame him for fullfilling his contract and doing the best he can for the rest of his money? It's NOT his fault he is still around.

Having said all this, yes, we have a right to be angry, and something has to be done. I don't know all the politics, the X's and O's, but I do know something has to be done to show the fans that the university cares about football. As a matter of pride and accountability, we can expect at least a .500 team with a bowl appearance now and then, a team that is competitive; a team worth watching.

I want to be clear: We have a right to be angry. But I don't think it's fair to scapegoat one person. Yes, unfortunately coaches get the brunt of the criticism, and as everyone will remind me, he is making millions of dollars. I get that. That's just the way it is, and some criticism is fair. But also, let's remember who put Hazell in this shitty position. It is not right to scapegoat him this much. Often times the wrong people get blamed for things. We have to indict the entire system.

I say we back off the witch hunting and name calling. Let's support our team and our coach one week at a time. Hazell will be gone soon enough. It's the other goons we have to worry about.

Agree. It's not like the talent level was going to turn us into a good team this year. The crazy thing is we could very well be sitting at 3-2 after Illinois which a lot of fans would be thrilled with if asked pre-season. It won't shock me if we beat them...which will certainly buy him a few more weeks, if not the rest of the season. But it's definitely not all on Hazell. There hasn't been anything to sell recruits on since Brees was here.

Agree. It's not like the talent level was going to turn us into a good team this year. The crazy thing is we could very well be sitting at 3-2 after Illinois which a lot of fans would be thrilled with if asked pre-season. It won't shock me if we beat them...which will certainly buy him a few more weeks, if not the rest of the season. But it's definitely not all on Hazell. There hasn't been anything to sell recruits on since Brees was here.

I agree. And we're still selling Brees as much as we can. We do seem to land decent QB's. Also, I imagine a large number of fans will be extremely happy when Hazell is fired. On one level I will be too, but on another I will also be sad. It means things are going bad, which is a reason to be sad, and it's still no guarantee that anything will get better. All we can do is sit bacl and hope Bobinski gets things done!

I want to be clear: We have a right to be angry. But I don't think it's fair to scapegoat one person. Yes, unfortunately coaches get the brunt of the criticism, and as everyone will remind me, he is making millions of dollars. I get that. That's just the way it is, and some criticism is fair. But also, let's remember who put Hazell in this shitty position. It is not right to scapegoat him this much. Often times the wrong people get blamed for things. Instead, we must indict the entire system.

I say we back off the witch hunting and name calling. Let's support our team and our coach one week at a time. Yes, that means supporting Hazell!! He will be gone soon enough. It's the other goons we have to worry about.

Great post Coach!!!

To a real extent, it is true that it isnt all on Hazell. The past 15 to 20 years it really is on the Administration of this University. You reap what you sew I believe is the saying that applies here.

Had he "wanted out" last year, all he had to do was go to MB1 and say, "I'm done". "You owe me nothing because I know I'm out of my league and hurting the school and the program". And I doubt he loves Purdue but the big check and his ego are keeping him here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT