ADVERTISEMENT

Len Dawson - legendary qb in hospice

This is a sad day for me since watching Len Dawson play in Super Bowls against Green Bay and Minnesota are vivid memories in my mind, back when my young interest in professional sports came about. We have been losing some big stars recently who were idols in my childhood days and it weighs on me some I have to admit. He also was so good on "Inside the NFL" on HBO. I always watched it. He had that calm, comfortable demeanor as a host.

Lenny the Cool is so perfect. That's the way he was on "Inside the NFL" also. Not just a legendary player, but it was apparent he was just a great person also. Prayers all over for this Purdue Great and his family. He will always be remembered.

Reactions: TX4GB and indyogb
In 1976 I got to meet him as my dad flew him from KC to Purdue. He came over to our house and autographed footballs for my brother and me. What I'll never forget was his piercing eyes and super bowl ring. As a kid he made our summer. Great representative for Purdue

It is noteworthy that Daryle Lamonica and Len Dawson, who quarterbacked their teams in the last AFL game ever played, both passed away this year (Lamonica, former 'Domer, died on April 21st). In the 1969 AFL Championship Game Dawson's Chiefs beat Lamonica's Raiders, 17-7, and as we all know, went on the win Superbowl IV. I can still remember as a kid reading a story in Sport magazine titled "DL and LD" contrasting the "mad bomber" and Dawson's cool playing styles.

In 1976 I got to meet him as my dad flew him from KC to Purdue. He came over to our house and autographed footballs for my brother and me. What I'll never forget was his piercing eyes and super bowl ring. As a kid he made our summer. Great representative for Purdue
All I can say is WOW! What an experience. That would make a lifetime of summers for any Purdue fan! I hope you still have that football.

Reactions: BSIT
All I can say is WOW! What an experience. That would make a lifetime of summers for any Purdue fan! I hope you still have that football.
Thanks. Yes I still have it. I also have a Len Dawson Football card I got him to sign as well. Both my brother and me still say the summer of 1976 was one of our favorites

Reactions: Purdue_BS_90
Him, Unitas, and Namath were THE guys when I was old enough to follow what was going on. The image of Lenny puffing one on the sideline always gives me a chuckle. Those were the days.

Him, Unitas, and Namath were THE guys when I was old enough to follow what was going on. The image of Lenny puffing one on the sideline always gives me a chuckle. Those were the days.
It's sad seeing what's become of Namath, doing those hated Medicare commercials, but he's still better than J.J.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT