ADVERTISEMENT

Lasha Petree Rutgers transfers in

purduedavie

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
Looks like a nice get for the ladies, had a really good career at Bradley, played 1 year at Rutgers where she wasn’t quite as productive, still looks like a nice piece added for 1 season. Guessing Purdue is done adding, maybe they’ll bring Gony back as Center depth, wouldn’t hurt as they have 2 scholarships left.

Last edited:
I've been saying that this team is still a couple of years away from being really competitive again, but I'm starting to like the depth of this team. I hope Jayla Smith really emerges as a force and is a consistent double-digit scorer to go along with Madison and Ellis. They may surprise some people, and the new additions could add some needed quality depth.

I've been saying that this team is still a couple of years away from being really competitive again, but I'm starting to like the depth of this team. I hope Jayla Smith really emerges as a force and is a consistent double-digit scorer to go along with Madison and Ellis. They may surprise some people, and the new additions could add some needed quality depth.

Please define "competitive". We were extremely competitive this past year. We won 17 games, beat a couple ranked teams, and were in practically every game we played. This upcoming year's roster is way deeper and more talented than last years, so I'm not really sure why you keep saying we are still a couple years off from being "competitive". These posts aren't helping to write the narrative of the program.

Please define "competitive". We were extremely competitive this past year. We won 17 games, beat a couple ranked teams, and were in practically every game we played. This upcoming year's roster is way deeper and more talented than last years, so I'm not really sure why you keep saying we are still a couple years off from being "competitive". These posts aren't helping to write the narrative of the program.
I expect a tourney birth next year, that’s not asking a lot I don’t think.

Reactions: DavidBoiler
I think competitve is 3 levels
1) being in most games
2) competing for BT title
3) competing nationally
We are at 1 and I expect to be better
Next season
Hopeful for 2/3 eventually

A top 20 nationally ranked team... being competitive for the Big Ten title, being competitive for a Sweet 16 spot in the Big Dance, being on the level of a Ohio State. Win the Big Ten tournament, etc.

A top 20 nationally ranked team... being competitive for the Big Ten title, being competitive for a Sweet 16 spot in the Big Dance, being on the level of a Ohio State. Win the Big Ten tournament, etc.
Purdue wasn''t competitive down the stretch, there were no All Big Ten players on the team, yes they were close in some games and fought hard, but they weren't really competitive enough to be a force, and I don't think they will be in 2022-23 either, but I think baby step progression will get them there in 2-3 years. And I'm hopeful that it appears that they will have more depth this upcoming season, in the paint especially. And I love the potential of Jayla Smith. Hope she can break out and become an All-Big Ten performer this season.

Purdue wasn''t competitive down the stretch, there were no All Big Ten players on the team, yes they were close in some games and fought hard, but they weren't really competitive enough to be a force, and I don't think they will be in 2022-23 either, but I think baby step progression will get them there in 2-3 years. And I'm hopeful that it appears that they will have more depth this upcoming season, in the paint especially. And I love the potential of Jayla Smith. Hope she can break out and become an All-Big Ten performer this season.
My guess if all remain healthy is a 20 win season and 9/10 NCAA tourney seed. Should be a deep team, Purdue lost players but besides Kyle didn’t lose that much, Moore had her moments I suppose. Also, Kyle missed most of the year, she’ll be missed some but she wasn’t really an important contributing player last year.

Reactions: BoilerRingside
My guess if all remain healthy is a 20 win season and 9/10 NCAA tourney seed. Should be a deep team, Purdue lost players but besides Kyle didn’t lose that much, Moore had her moments I suppose. Also, Kyle missed most of the year, she’ll be missed some but she wasn’t really an important contributing player last year.
maybe but you can be a 20 win team and still not be a national contender. I'll wait to see how all of the new pieces to Katie's puzzle fit together, if the 2 new freshmen are ready, if the new transfers are capable of making a big difference and if Jayla takes off and becomes a dynamic scorer, etc. I'm not expecting huge improvements yet, but who knows? That's why they play the games.

maybe but you can be a 20 win team and still not be a national contender. I'll wait to see how all of the new pieces to Katie's puzzle fit together, if the 2 new freshmen are ready, if the new transfers are capable of making a big difference and if Jayla takes off and becomes a dynamic scorer, etc. I'm not expecting huge improvements yet, but who knows? That's why they play the games.
Definitely not a National contender, 20 wins and a tourney birth is. Realistic second year goal for Coach and the program I would think. Womens hoops in all honesty is sort of boring, same teams pretty much every year win National
titles.

As long as we're better this year, than we were last year, and better next year, than we were this year, then KG is earning her paycheck and moving us in the right direction. I saw more fight from our team last year with KG coaching, than I've seen for years with SV as HC.

The future looks bright.

As long as we're better this year, than we were last year, and better next year, than we were this year, then KG is earning her paycheck and moving us in the right direction. I saw more fight from our team last year with KG coaching, than I've seen for years with SV as HC.

The future looks bright.
I think year three will be a drop, possibly a big one depending on if Ellis and Woltman opt in for a fifth year. We are sure losing Hardin, Harper, and Petree and very likely losing Terry since she wanted to leave this year only to find she really couldn't qualify to go and play anywhere. That is a lot of experience to lose all at once. I would not be surprised if Ellis wants to go back to Australia once she has her degree, and I don't know if Woltman has any interest in a grad program.

I think year three will be a drop, possibly a big one depending on if Ellis and Woltman opt in for a fifth year. We are sure losing Hardin, Harper, and Petree and very likely losing Terry since she wanted to leave this year only to find she really couldn't qualify to go and play anywhere. That is a lot of experience to lose all at once. I would not be surprised if Ellis wants to go back to Australia once she has her degree, and I don't know if Woltman has any interest in a grad program.
Transfer portal...Katie may have to really load up via the portal next off season.

Transfer portal...Katie may have to really load up via the portal next off season.
Like she was going to get three all-americans this year including a starting center and a scorer that would become our best player..... instead she got a serviceable pf and a sg/sf that just adds to our glut at that position. The portal really only works if you have connections and relationships that you can leverage, and KG has none of that having no D1 experience of any kind before this year. She might pick up some decent 1 and dones, but unlikely to get an impact player for several years until she has made those types of connections. JMHO

Like she was going to get three all-americans this year including a starting center and a scorer that would become our best player..... instead she got a serviceable pf and a sg/sf that just adds to our glut at that position. The portal really only works if you have connections and relationships that you can leverage, and KG has none of that having no D1 experience of any kind before this year. She might pick up some decent 1 and dones, but unlikely to get an impact player for several years until she has made those types of connections. JMHO
If people are leaving and your recruiting class is less than the number of people leaving, that leaves the transfer portal to make up the difference. Its not going away...better learn to make good use of it.

If people are leaving and your recruiting class is less than the number of people leaving, that leaves the transfer portal to make up the difference. Its not going away...better learn to make good use of it.
I thought Purdue did ok this off-season with it, we’ll see how it plays out. My guess is Harper is a day 1 starter. As for Petree, she has near 1700 career points, was on a Naismith player of the year watch, she might be a nice player here.

Petree certainly has talent as a streak shooting perimeter player. But with Layden, Ellis, Hardin, Terry, and Smith returning and Williams and Potts coming in, she certainly does not fill a need and every minute she plays is a minute one of our underclassmen isn't, which will hamper development and may lead to more transfers out. Again, JMHO.

Petree certainly has talent as a streak shooting perimeter player. But with Layden, Ellis, Hardin, Terry, and Smith returning and Williams and Potts coming in, she certainly does not fill a need and every minute she plays is a minute one of our underclassmen isn't, which will hamper development and may lead to more transfers out. Again, JMHO.
I don't know, Michael. Is that really a HO? BecauseI have to admit I am not seeing the H'ility. JMHO.

ADVERTISEMENT