ADVERTISEMENT

LaPhonso Ellis says Purdue has no shot at NCAA title

Born Boiler

Junior
Dec 6, 2006
We all know how much ESPN loves Purdue -- enough to show us not once but twice this season, although never at home, despite our seven weeks as the nation’s No. 1 ranked team.

But one ESPN odd-fellow whose own college program couldn't navigate its mere 112 miles to Mackey insists on remaining lost on Purdue’s national whereabouts.

Golden Domer LaPhonso Ellis declared on Gameday that Purdue has no chance to win the NCAA title because it has no future NBA players in its backcourt.

Never mind the future NBA players that Purdue can count among its 20 victims to date, including the sad sacks who Gameday visited Saturday instead of the nation’s best rivalry.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/col...5-919487a408a1.html#tracking-source=mp-sports

• Angry
Reactions: Schnelk
We all know how much ESPN loves Purdue -- enough to show us not once but twice this season, although never at home, despite our seven weeks as the nation’s No. 1 ranked team.

But one ESPN odd-fellow whose own college program couldn't navigate its mere 112 miles to Mackey insists on remaining lost on Purdue’s national whereabouts.

Golden Domer LaPhonso Ellis declared on Gameday that Purdue has no chance to win the NCAA title because it has no future NBA players in its backcourt.

Never mind the future NBA players that Purdue can count among its 20 victims to date, including the sad sacks who Gameday visited Saturday instead of the nation’s best rivalry.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/col...5-919487a408a1.html#tracking-source=mp-sports

Well given the history of the past 20+ years with no B10 as NChamp, he likely is making a safe statement based on history.

However, Edey is a generational player and the guards here are surprisingly good. I'll take Purdue IF the games are called fairly. ESPN can take a flyin leap.

Billboard material.

Safe bet that he is right, not because they “can’t, but because the field has a better shot. I will say the last Big Ten team to win it all had two NBA guards in their lineup. Shooting guard Charlie Bell had a solid NBA career after some time in Europe. Point guard Mateen Cleaves was a great college player and spent a short time in the NBA. In addition forward Mo Peterson had a long NBA career and substitute forward Jason Richardson had a long successful career. No wonder they were a favorite to win it all.

The Purdue guards are mature beyond their years, but how they handle pressure D like they saw in Bloomington and from Rutgers will tell the tale.

He sounds like dbag, but who cares what he says? Honestly, I don’t see us winning it either, or even getting to a FF.

He’s not the only one saying this and it isn’t limited to ESPN. Purdue does not look like the typical NCAA champion. That said, the NCAA champ will be decided on the court and nothing that the media says will matter once the games are played. Purdue will just need to beat the opponents in front of them six games in a row. Of course, it won’t be easy, but every team in the country this year has flaws.

I don’t want to take anything for granted because I don’t want to minimize the accomplishments, past or future, of this team. The NCAA championship will be an extraordinary accomplishment for whoever wins it and Purdue can have a great season without winning it. On the other hand, I’m not conceding anything either. This team is capable of beating any team in the country on a given night and they have a legitimate shot of reaching their goal of an NCAA championship.

He sounds like dbag, but who cares what he says? Honestly, I don’t see us winning it either, or even getting to a FF.

Why not a FF?

Easy to take the field....but how about analyzing the team & it's abilities? What about this teams abilities make you think no FF?

Who knows. There is a lot of good fortune needed to win this thing. Health, match-ups, the needed calls going your way and the ability to block out all the noice and just play the game. Even with that, the team needs to play very well every game. Is it likely they win, probably not, but you can say that about every team, this season especially. Can this year’s Purdue win these 6 games? I say, absolutely.

Why not a FF?

Easy to take the field....but how about analyzing the team & it's abilities? What about this teams abilities make you think no FF?
I’m all ears if you want to write an analysis on why we will make it. I don’t really care to make one on why we won’t.

I’m all ears if you want to write an analysis on why we will make it. I don’t really care to make one on why we won’t.
It's all conjecture anyway. Writing an analysis on a topic as meaningless as whether a team is FF bound or not is pointless. That's why the games are played. We will find out in March whether this team makes a FF or not.

Reactions: Erock_94
Did anyone here actually read the article? I don’t think LaPhonso is actually pulling any stones of us.

I don’t think LaPhonso is actually pulling any stones of us.
I am not familiar with the meaning of the phrase "actually pulling any stones of us." Did you, perhaps, mean, "actually throwing any stones at us"? If not, please elaborate.

I would tend to agree with Seth Greenberg there that if you get to the final four, you’re only 80 minutes away from the national title.

It's all conjecture anyway. Writing an analysis on a topic as meaningless as whether a team is FF bound or not is pointless. That's why the games are played. We will find out in March whether this team makes a FF or not.
Exactly, it’s all opinions until the games are actually played.

All depends on how it's refed???

IF they call the fouls and NOT allow B10 physically play on our center and guards, I see us as possible NC, not just a possible FF team. Again, I say possible.

Asking the quality of today's referees to call a fair game might be a bit much though? As I still remember what the refs did to Haas.

So I don't know what to think......but for sure, saying blatantly, we are NOT making a FF makes one a bit of a Nostradamus fortune teller.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT