ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle Korver on Privilege in The Players Tribune

Let me apologize for being white so I can make the SJW of the world feel better. America is based on equality of opportunity, not equality of outcome
And through the 1960s we barely provided basic rights to black people in giant sections of the country. My Dad played hoops in the SEC in the 60s against exactly no African American players. Is it all resolved now? Are there any advantages for white people by having a couple hundred year head start in the opportunity sweepstakes?

Reactions: Frankie611
And through the 1960s we barely provided basic rights to black people in giant sections of the country. My Dad played hoops in the SEC in the 60s against exactly no African American players. Is it all resolved now? Are there any advantages for white people by having a couple hundred year head start in the opportunity sweepstakes?
So what is your answer for those Black American students that are turning the clock back by insisting on separate residence halls, classes and commencements? It has been acknowledged that separate but equal doesn't work. By doing so they step all over the hard earned gains of their predecessors.

When a "group" depicts another "group" in some fashion rather than addressing the "individual" and prefers "group" identifiers rather than individual identification...THAT group is either going down some form of intersectionality or is at the cusp of doing so. Never in my life have I witnessed so much herd mentality and group victimization as can be easily shown daily.

No question that racism has existed in the USA...and NOT tied to blacks exclusively. No question that if we treated others the way we want to be treated it would be a better place. I too, could tell stories of Red Auerbach cancelling games in the south that wanted to treat the black Celtics different 60 years ago as well in hotel arrangements and such. Obviously the last few years things are much worse and there are some that want the benefits of the division and they are easy to find. All that said, it is absurd for me to even begin to feel some responsibility for others behavior during a time before my life.

However, for those that want to venture into intersectionality rather than looking at each individual...you become the problem...even if your intentions are good. Conscious, racial awareness is good...victimization is not. Each of us as individuals can only answer for ourselves relative to "other individual" situations...else we fall prey to the illogical stupidity of intersectionality that taken far enough has only one logical end...the individual...

Mods, can we delete this thread? Or at least freeze it? It has no place on this board.
With all due respect, why dont you just stop reading it? The responses in this thread have been respectful and the article is about basketball. Why not let people have the discussion? There are like 20 other threads that have been updated in the last 12 hours

It’s about basketball, and it’s related to a discussion I had with a former administrator and Purdue basketball player on this topic of race and fans. We need to do better.
You say it's about basketball. If that is what you really think, then you missed the whole point of the article. It most certainly is not about basketball. It is about racism, and Kover's perception of what is racist by his standards. I am not saying Kover's is wrong or that discussions of this important issue aren't important. I just think this is not the forum.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
With all due respect, why dont you just stop reading it? The responses in this thread have been respectful and the article is about basketball. Why not let people have the discussion? There are like 20 other threads that have been updated in the last 12 hours
Not about basketball. Not a single post in this thread is about basketball. It's about racism. Sorry you missed the key point in the OP link.

I'm not trying to be a jerk about this. I just think this topic needs to be shifted to the off topic forum

Last edited:
Racism permeates everything, including basketball. It affects how Korver's teammates are treated and likely affects how many college players are treated. The racist treatment of Thabo Shefalosa by the NYPD likely cost the Hawks an NBA championship. And yes, if Shefalosa had been white, he almost certainly would have been treated differently.

I don't think there's any reason at all to read it.

Unless you wish to confirm your bias. Racism is all but extinct in the US today. It's mostly a weapon used to gain an advantage somewhere. It's all about identity politics and herd mentality. Racism is down while reporting it is way up. Just like violence. It's all about the narrative and a story.

Reactions: indyogb and tjreese
You won't listen to a thing this African american has to say because you've already made up your mind....so I post this here for those open to differing viewpoints on race and whether or not systemic racism exists.

Wow, If I were to write a thesis on Racism, I could take this interview verbatim.

Not about basketball. Not a single post in this thread is about basketball. It's about racism. Sorry you missed the key point in the OP link.

I'm not trying to be a jerk about this. I just think this topic needs to be shifted to the off topic forum
Well looks like you cried enough you got your way. The world is a better place now.

It’s about basketball, and it’s related to a discussion I had with a former administrator and Purdue basketball player on this topic of race and fans. We need to do better.
To do better, one has to identify the root cause and come up with a solution to fix it. You've done neither by posting this. Question for you....do you have any....ANY...prejudices?

Personally, I believe racism works both ways

Reactions: SKYDOG
Should the Congressional Black Caucus not be labled as racist and disbanded?

To do better, one has to identify the root cause and come up with a solution to fix it. You've done neither by posting this. Question for you....do you have any....ANY...prejudices?

Personally, I believe racism works both ways
Prejudices: Ugly feet on pretty women, one-handed passes, swinging at the first pitch with runners in scoring position.

People of every group have biases. Our warts in America are that white racism has allowed domination of a class of people who were enslaved through the early 1860s, terrorized and deprived of voting rights well into the middle of the 20th century, deprived of access to housing by racially restrictive covenents well into the latter half of the 20th century. Black men of your age can remember being denied access to things. Do you think 50 years of progress undoes all the damage?

I don’t. I don’t know what the solutions are, but I’m willing to listen because I know I can’t accurately empathize. We can pretend that it doesn’t matter what color someone is, but it still has a real impact on many people.

Reactions: Frankie611
I don't think there's any reason at all to read it.
Not a suggested reason for anyone, but if someone wanted to hear a bit of historical perspective from one of the few intellectuals Thomas Sowell on "slavery" as a snippet from his 2006 book "Black Rednecks and White liberals. It is not directly about intersectionality today, but slavery as a historic perspective...

Interesting I just got this link in an email yesterday.

Not a suggested reason for anyone, but if someone wanted to hear a bit of historical perspective from one of the few intellectuals Thomas Sowell on "slavery" as a snippet from his 2006 book "Black Rednecks and White liberals. It is not directly about intersectionality today, but slavery as a historic perspective...

Interesting I just got this link in an email yesterday.

it gets a bit into the Civil War around an hour in and around 1:57:00 it gets to a bit of today...

One of my youngest daughter's best friends is 50% white, 50% black. Both of her parents graduated from Purdue. They live in the neighborhood next to ours. My daughter and her have been in the same advanced classes since 3rd grade. Both are top 20 in their class. Both will probably end up going to Purdue after they graduate next year. What disadvantages does my daughter's friend have that my daughter does not?

Broadly: I think a lot of our fans should call out subtle racism they see going on around them. I think back to a long conversation I had with Roger Blalock (RIP) about the plusses and minuses of the school he loved. Some of the cultural status quo around our area hampers our progress. Kyle’s recognition should speak to most of us.
Can you give me a couple of examples of subtle racism?

That is true it never will be perfect nobody should claim otherwise, But it also is not true that it can't get better or be better. Not everyone should have the same results but we should strive to give them equal opportunity and the economic status you are born into has the most drastic affect on your opportunity.
I wonder if “the economic status you are born into has the most drastic affect on your opportunity” or if that economic status has varying amounts of obstacles? I see those two things as potentially similar, but different. One suggests the inevitable more or less and the other suggests a harder road for some than another. I believe the second one since I think most have an opportunity, but few make the most of of their opportunity and that is for much of humanity. Very similar in my view, but very different as well... I understand how one leans more way to one than the other... ;)

Racism is a problem and it won't go away as long as there are races/racial distinction.

Blaming white people for the worlds ills while conveniently ignoring all of the amazing advancements made to make the world better than it ever has been has to be about the stupidest thing ever.

The rise of racial tensions in american in recent years is directly to do with the increase of racist policies like affirmative action in recent years. Racism breeds racism. This loops back around the racial distinction as long as you see eachother as being on different teams you surely will discriminate.

Making it a white problem is just another subtle act of racism.

What we really need to do is ditch the racist BS and come together and fix the lack of upword mobility for the lowest rungs of society, do that and the problem fixes itself.

The whole purpose of identity politics is to make racism, sexism and any other ism not yet created, fashionable. Someone that adheres to those policies invokes all those isms , with anticipation they won’t be noticed.

Reactions: SKYDOG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT