ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle Korver on Privilege in The Players Tribune

Broadly: I think a lot of our fans should call out subtle racism they see going on around them. I think back to a long conversation I had with Roger Blalock (RIP) about the plusses and minuses of the school he loved. Some of the cultural status quo around our area hampers our progress. Kyle’s recognition should speak to most of us.

Broadly: I think a lot of our fans should call out subtle racism they see going on around them. I think back to a long conversation I had with Roger Blalock (RIP) about the plusses and minuses of the school he loved. Some of the cultural status quo around our area hampers our progress. Kyle’s recognition should speak to most of us.
And this thread gets moved to the GD board in 3, 2, 1...

Curious - do you think its subtly racist for the University of Kansas to offer a class on "Angry White Males"?

Just be honest - you posted this story on here not for discussion - because you clearly don't want to have a conversation where opposing views are given. No - you posted this here because you think Purdue fans need to taught about their racist tendencies.
I think we could all benefit from understanding more. It reminded me of the conversation I mentioned with a former Purdue player. The article is written by a well known basketball player talking about an important issue that affects all of us. Opposing views are fine, and can be met with counter arguments.

Racism is a problem and it won't go away as long as there are races/racial distinction.

Blaming white people for the worlds ills while conveniently ignoring all of the amazing advancements made to make the world better than it ever has been has to be about the stupidest thing ever.

The rise of racial tensions in american in recent years is directly to do with the increase of racist policies like affirmative action in recent years. Racism breeds racism. This loops back around the racial distinction as long as you see eachother as being on different teams you surely will discriminate.

Making it a white problem is just another subtle act of racism.

What we really need to do is ditch the racist BS and come together and fix the lack of upword mobility for the lowest rungs of society, do that and the problem fixes itself.

Last edited:
I think it’s subtly racist for people to deflect real systemic racism with ridiculous comparisons.
You won't listen to a thing this African american has to say because you've already made up your mind....so I post this here for those open to differing viewpoints on race and whether or not systemic racism exists.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerJS
You won't listen to a thing this African american has to say because you've already made up your mind....so I post this here for those open to differing viewpoints on race and whether or not systemic racism exists.
I happen to like Larry Elder. I hope it was okay I watched that video. Did you read Kyle Korver’s piece?

What we really need to do is ditch the racist BS and come together and fix the lack of upword mobility for the lowest rungs of society, do that and the problem fixes itself.
In America 2019, we are living in arguably the greatest economic times this world has ever known. Our overall standard of living is equal to or greater than any other time in the history of the planet. Are there people living in poverty? Yes. Are there going to be people living in poverty regardless of how great the economy is or economic system of government? Yes.

Sure did. Very few facts and a lot of feelings/emotions. The couple of facts he did provide he failed to dig deeper and ask why. He just said "racism". That's just intellectual laziness.
As is pretending racism isn’t a real problem encountered by people in their day-to-day lives. We should all do a better job of calling it out when we see it.

We should all do a better job of calling it out when we see it.
Yeah - I think everyone pretty much does that. Just weird that you chose an article written by someone who obviously hasn't studied racism and uses a single example of police brutality of a friend as his proof of systemic racism. Hard to have a serious/honest discussion about race when you chose that article as your starting point.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
In America 2019, we are living in arguably the greatest economic times this world has ever known. Our overall standard of living is equal to or greater than any other time in the history of the planet. Are there people living in poverty? Yes. Are there going to be people living in poverty regardless of how great the economy is or economic system of government? Yes.

That is true it never will be perfect nobody should claim otherwise, But it also is not true that it can't get better or be better. Not everyone should have the same results but we should strive to give them equal opportunity and the economic status you are born into has the most drastic affect on your opportunity.

Reactions: Frankie611
That is true it never will be perfect nobody should claim otherwise, But it also is not true that it can't get better or be better. Not everyone should have the same results but we should strive to give them equal opportunity and the economic status you are born into has the most drastic affect on your opportunity.
Yes we should always strive to include more and more people in economic prosperity. I guess my point was that if you listen/watch/read the news you would never know just how great this country is doing from an economic standpoint right now.

Sorry, but while I am likely in accord with the feeling of the article, it really doesn't belong here, anymore than the pro-Trump threads that I always complain about.
It’s about basketball, and it’s related to a discussion I had with a former administrator and Purdue basketball player on this topic of race and fans. We need to do better.

Yeah - I think everyone pretty much does that. Just weird that you chose an article written by someone who obviously hasn't studied racism and uses a single example of police brutality of a friend as his proof of systemic racism. Hard to have a serious/honest discussion about race when you chose that article as your starting point.
Why?

It’s about basketball, and it’s related to a discussion I had with a former administrator and Purdue basketball player on this topic of race and fans. We need to do better.
Who is we? Purdue basketball fans? Did something happen at Mackey Arena I'm not aware of? I remember Haas being singled out at Maryland last year. I've seen Haarms get singled out many times at opposing arenas. What are you referring to as it relates to basketball that brought you to the conclusion that "we need to be better"?

Are you that dense to not recall your initial post in this thread?
I made several statements in that post and your only response was why. I coming to the conclusion that you're an idiot and I've wasted the last 30 minutes of my life I can't get back. Please prove me wrong.

It’s also obvious you didn’t understand the broader argument of Korver’s article.
By "broader argument", you're referring to his feelings and emotions on the subject. I think carrying on this conversation with you is rather pointless. I'll check out now and allow your white guilt to consume you. Good luck and Boiler Up!

No doubt, we as a society need do better in a lot of ways, but neither the article nor the thread is about basketball.

Reactions: tjreese
Easy Francis....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT