ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle is Transferring Out

BoilerPride08

Senior
May 18, 2006
Ra'shaya announced on Instagram she's transferring out. Hate to say I kinda called it a while back because there was just something weird about her whole injury thing and the overall ambiguity of it by KG. But I just never saw her fitting into the style of play KG is looking to instill, we need mobile post players and Kyle is not that.

I don't think it's alarming nor should it cause panic, it's a new coach coming in wanting to instill a different style of play with her type of players. It happens ALL the time. So finding a couple post players that fit KG's system is top priority this offseason.

Ra'shaya announced on Instagram she's transferring out. Hate to say I kinda called it a while back because there was just something weird about her whole injury thing and the overall ambiguity of it by KG. But I just never saw her fitting into the style of play KG is looking to instill, we need mobile post players and Kyle is not that.

I don't think it's alarming nor should it cause panic, it's a new coach coming in wanting to instill a different style of play with her type of players. It happens ALL the time. So finding a couple post players that fit KG's system is top priority this offseason.
Good call, Purdue really didn’t have her this year and did ok, as of now it’s Woltman and Learn, Stoddard is 6-4 but probably more of a 4, guessing a transfer big will be looked at.

I have a feeling Thomas will pull the trigger soon - no inside info - but I think she's holding out a bit to see if any P5's offer - and I just don't see that happening. Every P5 coach is fully committed to recruiting players from the portal and not unsigned HS seniors...heck, even class of 23s and beyond. It's going to be very interesting to see how the transfer portal will effect/change recruiting from here on out. I've seen many people decry how high school kids are simply being overlooked and not pursued, probably going to force many of them - even fairly good ones - into low D1 spots or even Division 2 spots.

That sucks. She was playing well before her injury.

I am not sure if there's one style of play KG is instilling. She seemed to just taking the style that fit the players on the roster, instead of trying to fit a round hole in a square peg. If Kyle is playing, my guess is that KG will find a way to fit her. Remember, we don't have to play Kyle 40 minutes, but it's always good to have that matchup possibility when we need to go big to match up. We were getting killed on the glass this year without her.

Reactions: Boilers1975
She's been very vocal since she got the job that she wants to really get out and run, have a lot of skilled wings that can rebound the ball, mobile posts that play a very European-ish type of game. Maryland is probably the best comparison I can think of. She wants players that can score on all three levels and can rebound the basketball and run.

Kyle was always going to be a back to the basket type post player - and yes - she could be used in situational type of settings but that probably meant a cut in her minutes, and kids want to play. She saw the writing on the wall that she wasn't going to be the featured post player in KG's system going forward and wants to find a system that will feature her. Nothing wrong with that. Also for being 6'6 she was never a great rebounder.

Reactions: Boilers1975
Looking at Kyle's twitter page, as late as March 3rd, she was still posting "I’m with you coach, Love playing for you!" Anyone with any inside info what changed?

Looking at Kyle's twitter page, as late as March 3rd, she was still posting "I’m with you coach, Love playing for you!" Anyone with any inside info what changed?

I'm sure it was the end of the season conversation with KG and how she sees her fitting into her system going forward. I'm hoping KG is taking a note from Painters book and not sugar coating it with these kids and being honest.

She's been very vocal since she got the job that she wants to really get out and run, have a lot of skilled wings that can rebound the ball, mobile posts that play a very European-ish type of game. Maryland is probably the best comparison I can think of. She wants players that can score on all three levels and can rebound the basketball and run.

Kyle was always going to be a back to the basket type post player - and yes - she could be used in situational type of settings but that probably meant a cut in her minutes, and kids want to play. She saw the writing on the wall that she wasn't going to be the featured post player in KG's system going forward and wants to find a system that will feature her. Nothing wrong with that. Also for being 6'6 she was never a great rebounder.
It seems Kyle would be better of in Matt Painter’s system with the plodding big man lol

• Haha
Reactions: JeffBoiler
That sucks. She was playing well before her injury.

I am not sure if there's one style of play KG is instilling. She seemed to just taking the style that fit the players on the roster, instead of trying to fit a round hole in a square peg. If Kyle is playing, my guess is that KG will find a way to fit her. Remember, we don't have to play Kyle 40 minutes, but it's always good to have that matchup possibility when we need to go big to match up. We were getting killed on the glass this year without her.
She was never in good enough shape to play even close to 40 mins.

She could not play with pain and refused to have surgery instead stayed in a boot, another player had the same problem had surgery came back and played the hole year with no problem, what does that tell you. Boiler Up

I had been impressed by her play early in the season. Certainly provided a different dimension to our offense. I get that we may want to get out and run but we still need to do things in the halfcourt as well and imo that was one of our better options this past season when she played. But like someone else said, it's a transition with a new coach who stepped in after last school year started. The roster is still a work-in-progress and probably will be for another couple seasons.

Reactions: Rossm500
She's making a mistake but it's her right to do so. I wish her well wherever she goes and I hope she proves me wrong.

Reactions: DavidBoiler
I had been impressed by her play early in the season. Certainly provided a different dimension to our offense. I get that we may want to get out and run but we still need to do things in the halfcourt as well and imo that was one of our better options this past season when she played. But like someone else said, it's a transition with a new coach who stepped in after last school year started. The roster is still a work-in-progress and probably will be for another couple seasons.
Well this year she would have a good game followed by games where she barely showed up. I will paste what I said when someone on the premium board said she was “great”:

She was here 2 years (well, 1 1/2 yrs since she did not play this year after Dec 5 due to a "lower leg injury.") And yes, I am sure the injury was real but to my knowledge the details were never released with her date to join the playing roster repeatedly pushed back and finally it was clear she would not be back at all. During her career she only had two double doubles (and just barely with 10 rebs each time) This year she averaged only 5.7 rebs/game and for someone who 6'6" that is pretty mediocre. Last year she averaged only 3.8 rpg.

Scoring was also a disappointment as last year she averaged 5.3 ppg and this year 5.7 (even while only playing against one B1G team). She never seemed to have the conditioning to stay in the game and this year she averaged less than 20 mins/game (19.3) and last year only 11.3 mpg. Of course a couple of the games with limited mins were due to foul trouble.

Kyle never seemed to progress while here. She would have a good game followed by several games where she hardly showed up. She is slow and not very good at jumping. So I really suspect the WBB team will not miss her that much despite her size,.

I wish her good luck finding a team where she can better contribute.

Well this year she would have a good game followed by games where she barely showed up. I will paste what I said when someone on the premium board said she was “great”:

She was here 2 years (well, 1 1/2 yrs since she did not play this year after Dec 5 due to a "lower leg injury.") And yes, I am sure the injury was real but to my knowledge the details were never released with her date to join the playing roster repeatedly pushed back and finally it was clear she would not be back at all. During her career she only had two double doubles (and just barely with 10 rebs each time) This year she averaged only 5.7 rebs/game and for someone who 6'6" that is pretty mediocre. Last year she averaged only 3.8 rpg.

Scoring was also a disappointment as last year she averaged 5.3 ppg and this year 5.7 (even while only playing against one B1G team). She never seemed to have the conditioning to stay in the game and this year she averaged less than 20 mins/game (19.3) and last year only 11.3 mpg. Of course a couple of the games with limited mins were due to foul trouble.

Kyle never seemed to progress while here. She would have a good game followed by several games where she hardly showed up. She is slow and not very good at jumping. So I really suspect the WBB team will not miss her that much despite her size,.

Reactions: DocRon
She'll have plenty of suiters because I think the potential is there for her to be a productive player. But she'll really need to get in shape and who knows how severe that foot injury is - players her size are prone to injury, especially dealing with feet/legs. She had some good games against much smaller mid major teams but good P5 teams have quicker posts which really bothered her as she simply couldn't stay out of foul trouble long enough to stay on the floor, and yes even at 6'6 she was never an impressive rebounder mainly due to lacking quickness and the ability to get off the floor.

I think there are posts out there that better suit KG's system, hopefully we will find 1 or 2 this offseason.

But we don't need her to play 40 mins. Edey is not gonna play 40 mins even if Tre is gone. That isn't how you use a big man / woman.
My guess is Katie wanted someone quicker in that position, if a big isn’t added this off-season we’ll see Woltman, Learn, and Stoddard in this spot, we saw the first two for over half the season so it won’t be a tough fill.

But we don't need her to play 40 mins. Edey is not gonna play 40 mins even if Tre is gone. That isn't how you use a big man / woman.
True but you need her to play at least half a game plus, if you are going to build your offense around a back-to-the-basket center.

Sure she was inconsistent but not sure I can point to any player on our roster who I would describe as consistent this year. Yeah you can also knock her for not being a great rebounder for her size, but size is but one factor in determining rebounding ability. We've seen big men like Isaac Haas also fall victim to that label but that doesn't mean they can't be contributors. Mainly what I saw in Kyle that I didn't/don't see in the rest of the roster is someone who you can throw it to in the post and they can go get a decent look even if they are guarded. Woltman gets her baskets on rebound-putbacks or slipping to the basket when her defender gives help. I don't see her giving us the same type of one-on-one post up abilities and that's what I think we're losing with Kyle leaving.

• Haha
Reactions: Boilerupone
True but you need her to play at least half a game plus, if you are going to build your offense around a back-to-the-basket center.
I don't think we need to build our offense around her. If we got 15+ minutes per game I think it helps considering we have players like Learn, and even Woltman to some extent, playing out of position to cover that spot on the floor right now.

Kyle is a good player, but did not exactly fit into what KG is doing. But she would not have hurt us next season and would probably have done well at our weakest area. So let's not kid ourselves. If we can find transfer replacement(s) so we don't have only forwards playing center, we'll be okay. If not it will hurt us just like it did last season. Plenty of time and time will tell. Still good feelings about the future.

Kyle is a good player, but did not exactly fit into what KG is doing. But she would not have hurt us next season and would probably have done well at our weakest area. So let's not kid ourselves. If we can find transfer replacement(s) so we don't have only forwards playing center, we'll be okay. If not it will hurt us just like it did last season. Plenty of time and time will tell. Still good feelings about the future.
Agree completely.

Heads up ya'll. Not all systems require a true "Center" to succeed. Look at the men's side...the women are slowly getting there. Naz Hillmon is far from a true "center". She's 6'2 and used her quickness to absolutely dominate the post her 4 years in the B10. The years of needing a Jantel Lavender are done, i'm afraid.

But when you are playing a g/f at center, you aren't going to scare any decent trans in the post.

But when you are playing a g/f at center, you aren't going to scare any decent trans in the post.
Hence the reason why we still need to get some mobile post players. Learn played completely out of position this year. I'm not saying we are set in the post. We need additions to shore up our post play, obviously. But we don't need some 6'6 slow clog in the post like Kyle.

Hence the reason why we still need to get some mobile post players. Learn played completely out of position this year. I'm not saying we are set in the post. We need additions to shore up our post play, obviously. But we don't need some 6'6 slow clog in the post like Kyle.
If the choice is between Kyle and Learn, yeah, we do need the 6'6" post clogging the middle on D

Heads up ya'll. Not all systems require a true "Center" to succeed. Look at the men's side...the women are slowly getting there. Naz Hillmon is far from a true "center". She's 6'2 and used her quickness to absolutely dominate the post her 4 years in the B10. The years of needing a Jantel Lavender are done, i'm afraid.
I'm not sure our roster is at the point yet where we are better off without that option. In fact, I don't think any team is better without having that option at all, even if they don't build their offense around it. You're right in that you can succeed without one though. Just not sure that we're better off without one right now. But the offseason has just started and we're not done with the roster shuffling yet. Will be interesting to see where we end up.

Reactions: MichaelRR
The point I'm trying to make is that with the introduction of the transfer portal, new coaches are not needing to "wait a couple years" to transform the roster in a way that fits their system. Players who don't fit can simply transfer out and go to programs with systems that better fit them. In years past coaches were simply stuck with players for a couple years that maybe didn't fit. Likely because players didn't want to sit out a year and coaches didn't want to get the reputation of "running players out", a rep that I'm sure many of their rivals would try to use against them on the recruiting trail.

But now, it's a completely different ball game. I'm not saying we are going to get some highly prized transfer from an SEC school to replace her - but we could very well get a player from a smaller school that comes in here and really surprises people much like Ellis did this year. A player that truly fits into the system of play that KG is trying to create. I'll admit that I had literally 0 expectations of Learn coming in as a freshman. She wasn't highly recruited out of HS and didn't even play her senior year due to covid restrictions in New York. But she really thrived in KG's system and really produced way more than I ever thought she would as a true freshman. So hopefully KG is out there convincing kids who will thrive in her system to become Boilermakers and this time next year Kyle is a complete afterthought.

Sure she was inconsistent but not sure I can point to any player on our roster who I would describe as consistent this year. Yeah you can also knock her for not being a great rebounder for her size, but size is but one factor in determining rebounding ability. We've seen big men like Isaac Haas also fall victim to that label but that doesn't mean they can't be contributors. Mainly what I saw in Kyle that I didn't/don't see in the rest of the roster is someone who you can throw it to in the post and they can go get a decent look even if they are guarded. Woltman gets her baskets on rebound-putbacks or slipping to the basket when her defender gives help. I don't see her giving us the same type of one-on-one post up abilities and that's what I think we're losing with Kyle leaving.
Hustle and effort drive to get better

LOL... ROTFLMAO...TTYL

Nothing like showing your "maturity" with 13 year old high school girl slang circa 2006.
Truly yours is a dizzying intellect, shaming the likes of Plato and Socrates. Next retort from you I expect to be something about rubber and glue.... ROFL. You'd be dangerous if you were half as smart as you think you are

I wish her well, but as others have said she had some limitations for someone 6' 6", hope we find someone fairly tall who is quick and can jump to replace her.

I wish her well, but as others have said she had some limitations for someone 6' 6", hope we find someone fairly tall who is quick and can jump to replace her.
Where???? The transfer portal is not a supermarket where you just go what you need. And there are no tall athletic posts that play like Naz Hillman in the portal at this time. There is a reason she was two time BT POY and a first team all American. That route of player is very rare and EVERY coach wants a 6'2" mobile post that can run and block shots. Players with those attributes that have decent skills are to 20 rated talents or better coming out of high school. Purdue has a long history of recruiting tall, athletic but no skills players. Connie Murdock was the first I remember on the late 90s. Only one, Campbell, developed into a good player. So while Kyle wasn't perfect, she was the best post we had or likely will have for the next two years.

Where???? The transfer portal is not a supermarket where you just go what you need. And there are no tall athletic posts that play like Naz Hillman in the portal at this time. There is a reason she was two time BT POY and a first team all American. That route of player is very rare and EVERY coach wants a 6'2" mobile post that can run and block shots. Players with those attributes that have decent skills are to 20 rated talents or better coming out of high school. Purdue has a long history of recruiting tall, athletic but no skills players. Connie Murdock was the first I remember on the late 90s. Only one, Campbell, developed into a good player. So while Kyle wasn't perfect, she was the best post we had or likely will have for the next two years.
You have missed a lot of games since the late 90s! Camille Cooper, Mary Jo Noon, Natasha Bogdanova, Danielle Campbell, Erin Lawless, Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton, all Kristi Curry players. Chelsea Jones, Drey Mingo, Sam Ostarello, Alex Guyton, Camille Redmon, Taylor Manuel, Whitney Bays, all Sharon Versyp players. Ra Shaya Kyle is not even close to the talent level of the players on previous WBB teams since 2000. Katie Gearlds played with Natasha, Danielle, Erin and Lindsay and I expect that she will be looking for similar talent for the Boilermakers, whether it is from the portal or recruited out of high school!

You have missed a lot of games since the late 90s! Camille Cooper, Mary Jo Noon, Natasha Bogdanova, Danielle Campbell, Erin Lawless, Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton, all Kristi Curry players. Chelsea Jones, Drey Mingo, Sam Ostarello, Alex Guyton, Camille Redmon, Taylor Manuel, Whitney Bays, all Sharon Versyp players. Ra Shaya Kyle is not even close to the talent level of the players on previous WBB teams since 2000. Katie Gearlds played with Natasha, Danielle, Erin and Lindsay and I expect that she will be looking for similar talent for the Boilermakers, whether it is from the portal or recruited out of high school!
You misunderstand me, we HAVE recruited or gained by transfer a lot of good centers, I'm talking about the ones that were recruited for height and athleticism hoping we could teach them skills.... Connie Murdock, Candy Crawford and about 5-6 others. Putting Bogdonova and Osterello in your list though is in error IMO. They were top rated small forwards playing out of position in the post and really never achieved their full potential. As a SF NB averages 17 ppg for the silver medal Russian Jr Olympics squad. SO was rated the third best SF in her class in the nation and left here the third best pf in the BT playing out of position her whole career. Also all the players you listed were top 50 or better rated recruits, which goes to my point of scarcity of that kind of talent. And no RK wasn't that kind of player, Woltman is even less so and forcing g/f Learn to play the post her whole career is a waste of talent, again jmho. It's not that RK was ever going to be great, it's that she's the best option we had/have for the next two years. All the class of 23 top centers are committed, the ONLY player right now we have a good hope for is Thomas, and she seems better suited as a PF/SF swing type of player.

I watched the video of Geno talking about transfers and had me thinking. The players we've had in the portal and others who might go into it - could you see Moore, Kyle, etc. leading the program to a big ten championship? Players leaving was probably going to happen if CKG took over after the season to get her own team in. Probably looking for those "all in" players.

And everything said about Kyle I agree. I think her biggest talent was her height and not much skill to go with it. Never seemed to have much of a motor and complained like Clark to the refs. (Pet peeve of mine).

Still trust CKG to get her "all in" roster together in the next year or two.

You misunderstand me, we HAVE recruited or gained by transfer a lot of good centers, I'm talking about the ones that were recruited for height and athleticism hoping we could teach them skills.... Connie Murdock, Candy Crawford and about 5-6 others. Putting Bogdonova and Osterello in your list though is in error IMO. They were top rated small forwards playing out of position in the post and really never achieved their full potential. As a SF NB averages 17 ppg for the silver medal Russian Jr Olympics squad. SO was rated the third best SF in her class in the nation and left here the third best pf in the BT playing out of position her whole career. Also all the players you listed were top 50 or better rated recruits, which goes to my point of scarcity of that kind of talent. And no RK wasn't that kind of player, Woltman is even less so and forcing g/f Learn to play the post her whole career is a waste of talent, again jmho. It's not that RK was ever going to be great, it's that she's the best option we had/have for the next two years. All the class of 23 top centers are committed, the ONLY player right now we have a good hope for is Thomas, and she seems better suited as a PF/SF swing type of player.
Drey Mingo, Whitney Bays are the only transfers on the list. All the others were recruited out of their respective high schools, although Camille Redmon was a JC recruit. I do not remember Kristy Curry having to recruit a project for the post position. Kalika France was a transfer from Maryland that paved the way for Drey Mingo and Whitney Bays to also transfer from Maryland. Drey and Whitney were keys to the 25 and 22 win seasons in 2012-13 and 2013-14. The only decent post recruit since 2013-14 is Ae'Rianna Harris and she was an excellent defensive post player!

ADVERTISEMENT