ADVERTISEMENT

King Doerue or DJ Knox?

BCfanatic2020

All-American
Jan 5, 2020
I saw this phrased on kc, which I now read, but would prefer to post with the dinner thieves.

someone stole my thunder. Regardless of who you pick, if you can get it done with Knox, you can get it done with doerue and vice versa.

That 2018 team had just lost a lot on the DL. On defense you had Lorenzo Neal, Markus Bailey and shit else. Higgins, Reviere were not big ten player and the secondary was bad.

on offense Blough, the tight ends and a few linemen were good, Zico and Wright came on later and then of course you had Rondale moore… who was better than anyone we have returning except for maybe Oconnell.

we won 6 games. If we could do that with Knox we can win 7+ with Doerue.

Is Doerue Joey Harris? No. But it’s been a long time since we had an all around back who was an equal threat to do inside and outside of Harris caliber

I saw this phrased on kc, which I now read, but would prefer to post with the dinner thieves.

someone stole my thunder. Regardless of who you pick, if you can get it done with Knox, you can get it done with doerue and vice versa.

That 2018 team had just lost a lot on the DL. On defense you had Lorenzo Neal, Markus Bailey and shit else. Higgins, Reviere were not big ten player and the secondary was bad.

on offense Blough, the tight ends and a few linemen were good, Zico and Wright came on later and then of course you had Rondale moore… who was better than anyone we have returning except for maybe Oconnell.

Is Doerue Joey Harris? No. But it’s been a long time since we had an all around back who was an equal threat to do inside and outside of Harris caliber
I would say that Kory Sheets was a great all around back, and he was after Harris.

I would take Knox over King. Knox was a threat to take it through the middle or around the corner with his quickness and speed. I don't think King has that quickness/speed to take it around the corner consistently like Knox could. I would also say that Knox's line was not as good as Doerue has had. Our line is still far from perfect, but it is improving each year.

Doerue isn’t as tough or resilient through the A gaps…but if you block for him, he’ll produce. Him as our #1 and James as our #2 doesn’t bother me going into the season.

Us being able to block for a run game…that’s the concern. That said…I don’t think we will ever have a line that’s going to produce a run game from scratch. Pass the ball well…we will be able to counter on some draw and trap action.

I would say that Kory Sheets was a great all around back, and he was after Harris.

I would take Knox over King. Knox was a threat to take it through the middle or around the corner with his quickness and speed. I don't think King has that quickness/speed to take it around the corner consistently like Knox could. I would also say that Knox's line was not as good as Doerue has had. Our line is still far from perfect, but it is improving each year.
Not nearly as good between the tackles as Harris. Knox to me was powerful with less speed that Doerue. He got to the second level better. Our line was bad this last year run blocking.

point being it’s not like Knox was Harris .. not close

Doerue isn’t as tough or resilient through the A gaps…but if you block for him, he’ll produce. Him as our #1 and James as our #2 doesn’t bother me going into the season.

Us being able to block for a run game…that’s the concern. That said…I don’t think we will ever have a line that’s going to produce a run game from scratch. Pass the ball well…we will be able to counter on some draw and trap action.
Agreed

Hey remember the Haze dreaming about “establishing the run”, “having a power running game” and “controlling the line of scrimmage”? Good times.

Hey remember the Haze dreaming about “establishing the run”, “having a power running game” and “controlling the line of scrimmage”? Good times.
I remember haze wanting to have 2 power backs in the backfield and just power over everybody. But then he would recruit offensive linemen even MAC teams were not interested in.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020

I think we could recruit a line capable of run blocking, I just don’t think this staff knows how. Hope recruited one. Tiller recruited several.

Is James a whole lot quicker than Doerue? It seems like it and if he can get around the edge and take it up the middle with some consistency it’s probably just a game or two before the roles are reversed. But I do like Doerue’s ability to take a hit and keep his balance and even cut back. But maybe James can do the same

Not sure either guy King or James are capable of picking up yards on their own with this OL like Horvath could. Think the run game is going to struggle this year. 3rd & 1 is a passing down.

Can we get another Ralph Bolden. Had he stayed healthy he might have been better than Sheets.

Him just abusing RichRod and the Wolverines at Ann Arbor was incredible to watch
But my point with Doerue is.. we haven’t had players like that in a LONG time.. so why is it his problem? He’s not so far from DJ Knox that it’s terrible. The guy isn’t Dan dierking as a talent at the position. You can get the job done with him. See his reception against Michigan state

Is James a whole lot quicker than Doerue? It seems like it and if he can get around the edge and take it up the middle with some consistency it’s probably just a game or two before the roles are reversed. But I do like Doerue’s ability to take a hit and keep his balance and even cut back. But maybe James can do the same
I don’t think Doerue is slow at all. I think like pboiler says he struggles through the middle of the line. So when there is a handoff, smart defenses are playing him to the outside and you can’t get around a defense who is waiting for you. He kinda reminds me of sheets with his inability up the middle, except he’s not that kinda back.

I also think the backs you guys are looking for don’t wanna run behind that line because why the f would you?

12:48 = not slow

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
But my point with Doerue is.. we haven’t had players like that in a LONG time.. so why is it his problem? He’s not so far from DJ Knox that it’s terrible. The guy isn’t Dan dierking as a talent at the position. You can get the job done with him. See his reception against Michigan state
Running backs don't consider Purdue because it will be the death of their career before it even started...

I think we could recruit a line capable of run blocking, I just don’t think this staff knows how. Hope recruited one. Tiller recruited several.
I fully agree with that assessment.

i grew up in Wisconsin. they never had a problem recruiting offensive linemen, and they were usually not 4 or 5 star recruits. they were just big and could create holes. maybe it's purdue's coaching or blocking schemes. there are offensive lineman who can both run block and also provide pass protection. they are not that hard to find. They just either don't seem to want to come to Purdue, or the purdue coaches just don't seem to be able to identify and recruit capable linemen.

Iowa and Minnesota don't have problems either. and their offensive line recruits are not elite either. I have to believe purdue's problem is their offensive line coach, his schemes and his recruiting. the assistant position coaches have the most influence in recruiting. We're just not getting the job done. and it's a recurring theme.

That said I think you’d agree last year went a lot better overall than either of us thought right

Absolutely. I'm not trying to bash Brohm. But if he wants to continue to win big, he needs to figure out the OL and the running game. And it currently seems like he's doing everything to prevent that from happening.

I disagree
I’m very much looking forward to seeing your nephew I believe.: but if he was a four star back who could go to Michigan state and get big NIL money or come here, doesn’t it get a little harder? And I actually think he will outperform his ranking perhaps by a lot

ADVERTISEMENT