ADVERTISEMENT

key players besides Edey

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
obviously Edey has to play well and produce in every game, but to me, the two key players who can help push this team through are Newman and Furst.
Edey will get his, but someone needs to be consistent scoring from outside or midrange. If Newman and provide that extra scoring punch like he did in the BTT, or, he has a couple big games where he goes off for 20+, then who knows...

Why Furst? I liked how Painter used him earlier in the year when we actually got out in transition and first was able to beat other bigs down the floor and score in transition, even at the 3 pt line. I think Smith is actually a good player in transition and with him and Furst on the floor, it gives Purdue a different style, different way to score and different way for teams to defend.

Loyer. When he’s hitting, we tend to be a good offensive team. Also, strangely, the older guys seem to feed off him hitting from 3z I love Furst too, but he seems to be happy late in the year with being unproductive. We need 5 people who are trying to score.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I still think Jenkins is going to have one of those games where he can't miss from 3.

Gillis always seems to be a key player for me. He always seems to be in the middle of things. If he can open things up for Zach, that also helps.

Obviously we'll need Braden to handle the ball, but as long as he doesn't have too many turnovers and picks his spots on offense, we should be OK.

obviously Edey has to play well and produce in every game, but to me, the two key players who can help push this team through are Newman and Furst.
Edey will get his, but someone needs to be consistent scoring from outside or midrange. If Newman and provide that extra scoring punch like he did in the BTT, or, he has a couple big games where he goes off for 20+, then who knows...

Why Furst? I liked how Painter used him earlier in the year when we actually got out in transition and first was able to beat other bigs down the floor and score in transition, even at the 3 pt line. I think Smith is actually a good player in transition and with him and Furst on the floor, it gives Purdue a different style, different way to score and different way for teams to defend.
It’s hard to single individuals out since I have seen a number of players give Purdue a huge lift including Loyer, Newman, Jenkins, Gillis, and Morton, but I would say Braden Smith. As the point guard, when he is at his best, Purdue tends to run very smoothly.

Reactions: rjmpu82
Last year Gillis went ghost mode against St Peter’s but he has seemed solid as of late so he would be an obvious choice. Would love to see Furst leverage some of his post moves against smaller players and get his confidence back.

Everyone in our new starting lineup has scored 20+ in a game and would expect any one of them to go off in the first few rounds.

I would prefer Fletcher to pass up threes to drive for pull up 2s or layups.

Reactions: rjmpu82
Jenkins and Loyer. Newman does not have two good games in a row(15 in one BTT game 5 points o-6 from three in other two). So hope his one breakout is after FDU.

Fletcher's confidence took a massive hit after our first lost to Rutgers. He needs to find his balls again and shoot it with confidence. I'd like to see him take it to the rack again for a dunk even if it rims out.

That's what I've been saying about Furst since last season.Most guys his size can't get up and down the floor like he does.I think he would really excel if PU played more up tempo game.At least until he can learn to use his right hand and get some moves.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
That's what I've been saying about Furst since last season.Most guys his size can't get up and down the floor like he does.I think he would really excel if PU played more up tempo game.At least until he can learn to use his right hand and get some moves.
Gillis ... mic drop

We may see a bit more uptempo in the games and caleb would flourish I believe in that. However, if the pace picks up and Zach is on teh court you don't want to lose 60% scoring and drawing fouls just to pick up the pace and so you better be efficient. People have this idea that Purdue hasn't improved, but it so hard to tell when the refs let a lot go and the teams and players are scouted so well. inside games are runs and inside seasons are runs.

That said, Purdue has a guy that appears to handle on "D" big 2s, typical 3s and maybe stretch fours in Brandon that will start to add O with minutes I believe. Caleb can defend a lot of 4s and Ethan can rest Brandon or Caleb if the opposing team has a player that needs some more attention and so on "D" I think Purdue can do a few things to help the cause. On O ...Jenkins is getting comfortable and he and Brandon are two people that could drop a few quickly. I think Trey has shown progress in the last month and although Zach may have missed a few easy ones lately...Zach is Zach. I suspect Fletcher gets it going outside the Big a bit and Mason is Mason every second as well as a dependabe FT shooter and effective 3 ball shooter ...and has shown more inclination to putting the ball on the court. Now if all games were the best of 5 or even 3 then the confidence goes up even higher, but outside this first game, Purdue "may" need to ramp it up more for the second game than possibly others down the road...but you never know how things will unfold. Hope the kids accomplish the third goal!!!

It’s hard to single individuals out since I have seen a number of players give Purdue a huge lift including Loyer, Newman, Jenkins, Gillis, and Morton, but I would say Braden Smith. As the point guard, when he is at his best, Purdue tends to run very smoothly.
And Renn.

I agree. Every key player on this team has had a game where they took the team on their shoulders. Need to find that majic formula where they are all on their game.

Just heard a stat on BTN radio this morning that they were keeping track of make % of "Open" looks. I'm not sure what the criteria is for an 'open' look, but we do get plenty of those. WVU only hit 33% of theirs while MD hit 50%.
MD got a couple of big breaks go their way at the end...a fumbled ball a couple of times that ended up underneath for an easy basket and then a bad call on the floor they never overturned that kept the ball with MD.. That game could have went either way, but hitting 50% if shooting "a lot" could be a huge difference. Only making 33+% and shooting a lot...may lead to defeat whereas not shooting so many may not lead to defeat at 33%. Hopefully, Purdue shoots well, because they have Zach that provides consistency for the 2s around 60% of the time and so you want to keep looking for that 60+%.

on a serious note, I'd like to see Smith look to score more. He seems to have the moxie to do some damage on the big stage. Unlike Loyer, I think Smith embraces the physical play. Would like to see Painter let him run and lead transition offense more than he is when they go small.
Absolutely, he is good for 10 a game just sneaking to the rim. Games where he is aggressive good things tend to happen

MD got a couple of big breaks go their way at the end...a fumbled ball a couple of times that ended up underneath for an easy basket and then a bad call on the floor they never overturned that kept the ball with MD.. That game could have went either way, but hitting 50% if shooting "a lot" could be a huge difference. Only making 33+% and shooting a lot...may lead to defeat whereas not shooting so many may not lead to defeat at 33%. Hopefully, Purdue shoots well, because they have Zach that provides consistency for the 2s around 60% of the time and so you want to keep looking for that 60+%.
Stephenson was out of control in the last 5 or 6 min. their Number 0 should have gotten more touches, dumb team

Absolutely, he is good for 10 a game just sneaking to the rim. Games where he is aggressive good things tend to happen
I actually think he's better in transition than he is in the half court. Being small, when a bigger defender can lot him down, it gives him problems. Getting out in transition allows him to be more creative and get open looks for others or he's shown he'll go to the bucket as well. He does need to have better recognition of making sure he has a plan A and B when he leaves his feet because he's turned it over a bunch of times when he gets caught doing that.
I like the line up of Smith, Jenkins/Morton, Newman, Gillis, Furst as a change of pace, transition offense to try and get some easy buckets.

Reactions: tjreese
I actually think he's better in transition than he is in the half court. Being small, when a bigger defender can lot him down, it gives him problems. Getting out in transition allows him to be more creative and get open looks for others or he's shown he'll go to the bucket as well. He does need to have better recognition of making sure he has a plan A and B when he leaves his feet because he's turned it over a bunch of times when he gets caught doing that.
I like the line up of Smith, Jenkins/Morton, Newman, Gillis, Furst as a change of pace, transition offense to try and get some easy buckets.
Yes, I think after Zach leaves Purdue gets up and down the court a bit more and that should help Braden>Caleb and Trey need progress in shooting and putting the ball on the court "better" to make them more versatile

Yes, I think after Zach leaves Purdue gets up and down the court a bit more and that should help Braden>Caleb and Trey need progress in shooting and putting the ball on the court "better" to make them more versatile
Haven't seen much out of TKR running the floor. He could probably stand to lose some weight to be a little lighter on his feet and quicker off the floor.

Reactions: tjreese
Haven't seen much out of TKR running the floor. He could probably stand to lose some weight to be a little lighter on his feet and quicker off the floor.
Yeah, he bulked up a bit...but he is a bit faster than Zach. He and Caleb need to develop a bit more versatility in what they can do after the season....If they do, Purdue could be very good without Zach...should Zach leave

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT