ADVERTISEMENT

Keeling vs Proctor

mreeser

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 17, 2017
So as many of you have heard, we are in the top school discussion for two solid grad transfer guards. Getting both would probably work, but probably unlikely. Who would we rather get?

Jahaad Proctor, 6’3” & 215# from High Point
18-19 stats: 19.4 ppg, 3.2 apg, 3.9 rpg
Unofficial top interests: WVU, Wichita St, Stanford, VTech, PU, Murr St
Purdue OV: April 24

Christian Keeling, 6’4 & 175# from Charleston So.
18-19 stats: 18.7, 2.8 apg, 6.9 rpg
Official top 5: PU, NCST, GT, UNC, Clem
Visited so far: GT, Clemson (this weekend)

I think Keeling may be tougher to get.. especially because he’s from GA and all of his other top 4 are from the south/east area. However, the school that most are probably worried about is UNC, but they are supposedly very in on another grad transfer Rayjon Tucker. Proctor already has a visit scheduled and I believe that West Virginia just landed a JUCO wing. It may just come down to whoever wants to go to Purdue and whoever can commit first. I think we will end up with one.

Reactions: boiler800
From what little I’ve seen, I would hope Keeling. In the video I saw, Proctor seemed to play a small 6’3” in a league of smaller, less physical guards than the B10. By contrast, Keeling seemed long and has a lean back to his jumper that made him seem to play bigger than he is.

I’m very excited by Sasha’s future so I hope this doesn’t impede his development or future (I think we were lucky to have Cline stick around and not transfer)

From what little I’ve seen, I would hope Keeling. In the video I saw, Proctor seemed to play a small 6’3” in a league of smaller, less physical guards than the B10. By contrast, Keeling seemed long and has a lean back to his jumper that made him seem to play bigger than he is.

I’m very excited by Sasha’s future so I hope this doesn’t impede his development or future (I think we were lucky to have Cline stick around and not transfer)
I wouldn’t worry too much about our guys now. I think the grad transfer would be brought in for some experienced scoring help with the absence of Carsen looming large. Plus, the transfer would only be there for a year.

Keeling for sure

Yeah. Proctor's video... His lack of athleticism really jumps out. Little burst or Lift, against lower level comp is concerning.

Keeling on the other hand looks ready.

On UNC, they are also all in and I think lead for Cole Anthony- #1 guard in 2019 class (Greg's son). So that backcourt might be pretty crowded.

Reactions: SKYDOG
Here’s my take. Unless either of these guys are good enough to be the best player on a Big Ten contender, the most important thing is that they are a good fit. I think that is what Painter will be looking at and trying to evaluate during their visits. There is room for a guy who is willing and able to come in, work hard, plug into a role, not try to do too much, and help the team win. We don’t need a transfer from some small school coming in thinking they are going to shoot the ball 20 times a game and be the next Carsen.

Here’s my take. Unless either of these guys are good enough to be the best player on a Big Ten contender, the most important thing is that they are a good fit. I think that is what Painter will be looking at and trying to evaluate during their visits. There is room for a guy who is willing and able to come in, work hard, plug into a role, not try to do too much, and help the team win. We don’t need a transfer from some small school coming in thinking they are going to shoot the ball 20 times a game and be the next Carsen.
THIS....100%

I really don’t think Painter would sell the memo that they’d get 20 shots a game without proving it to either of this guys, just my guess

Yeah. Proctor's video... His lack of athleticism really jumps out. Little burst or Lift, against lower level comp is concerning.

Keeling on the other hand looks ready.

On UNC, they are also all in and I think lead for Cole Anthony- #1 guard in 2019 class (Greg's son). So that backcourt might be pretty crowded.
Would we be happy with Proctor though? I feel like he wouldn’t be a bad consolation prize. Might be a more physical defender if we are looking strictly at dimensions.

Can somebody say anything about their schools? I hate to admit it, but I've never heard of high point before. And Charleston doesn't ring too many bells as a very big basketball powerhouse. I ask because Evan put up decent numbers at a school I had heard of and he was kind of a non factor as the season progressed

Can somebody say anything about their schools? I hate to admit it, but I've never heard of high point before. And Charleston doesn't ring too many bells as a very big basketball powerhouse. I ask because Evan put up decent numbers at a school I had heard of and he was kind of a non factor as the season progressed
Kenpom ranks

Dartmouth (16-17)-305

HIgh Point-223

Charleston So-160

I think this is more about senior leadership in the backcourt on the floor, crunch time free throw shooting, and 3 point shooting vs. replacing a volume shooter with another volume shooter. An Octeus type player. Whoever fills that role is our best fit.

I think this is more about senior leadership in the backcourt on the floor, crunch time free throw shooting, and 3 point shooting vs. replacing a volume shooter with another volume shooter. An Octeus type player. Whoever fills that role is our best fit.
Totally agree ... get a solid Senior in the locker-room, on the bench, in the huddle, on the floor.

Reactions: Boilermaker24
Totally agree ... get a solid Senior in the locker-room, on the bench, in the huddle, on the floor.

I only partially agree to the extent that Nojel in particular and Haarms have been around the program for a few years, have been through a lot of valuable experiences, and should be ready to take on leadership roles. I don’t think you have to have a senior to lead necessarily if you have guys who have experience and are natural leaders (Nojel)

I only partially agree to the extent that Nojel in particular and Haarms have been around the program for a few years, have been through a lot of valuable experiences, and should be ready to take on leadership roles. I don’t think you have to have a senior to lead necessarily if you have guys who have experience and are natural leaders (Nojel)
I can lean that way, but there is solid data about seniors. No idea why. Look at Grady from last year to this. There is some intangible about seniors. There are also born leaders who are leaders at any age. Not sure Nojel or Haarms fit that mold. Not a knock at all, it is a rare trait.

I can lean that way, but there is solid data about seniors. No idea why. Look at Grady from last year to this. There is some intangible about seniors. There are also born leaders who are leaders at any age. Not sure Nojel or Haarms fit that mold. Not a knock at all, it is a rare trait.
I disagree age or grade has no bearings on leadership. It’s how u interact with ur teammates there is the chemistry on and off that court it’s the voice that takes control of the team in the locker room on and off the court. A leader is the one that has the ability to look his teammates is the eyes and demand more from them while being held accountable for what he does a leader is the one there teammates like and respect and trust me Nojel or Haarms has those qualities especially Nojel. He’s been a leader all his life he’ll step up and b all that and then some. Bring a senior has nothing to do with being a leader more to that role than a grade or age.

other things to consider

SOS HP -249 Ch So-228 Virtually the same if you look at the difficulty difference and not the ranking

Also High Point plays slower

Per 100 number p/r/a/s/b TO made 3s TS

Keeling 32.3/11.9/4.8/2.2/1.2 4.6 TO 4.1 3s 59.1

Proctor 34.3/6.8/5.8/2.3/0.6 3.9 TO 3.1 3s 56.7%

That being Said I think Keelings game just translates better

Last edited:
Proctor seems to have a game mix between T. Johnson and R. Davis.

I think with Sasha on schedule to do good things and Newman a good shooter and Hunter gaining more confidence and a green light....we only take one grad transfer.

Any of the one's interested will do fine: Cumberland, Proctor or Keeling.

Reactions: Do Dah Day

You've heard of Dartmouth because it's in the Ivy League. Not because of their basketball history. Neither of these schools are world-beaters but that doesn't mean these 2 kids can't play ball.

You've heard of Dartmouth because it's in the Ivy League. Not because of their basketball history. Neither of these schools are world-beaters but that doesn't mean these 2 kids can't play ball.
I think the world-beaters are all gone for this class.

Troll and idiot ... Southern has a t in it by the way
Well I’m sure it was there in my other 40 names. Sorry for the typo, genius! Anyways, IU will get 2 of Harris, Quinones, or Watford. We’ll be the best team in the conference by far next year when this happens.

Well I’m sure it was there in my other 40 names. Sorry for the typo, genius! Anyways, IU will get 2 of Harris, Quinones, or Watford. We’ll be the best team in the conference by far next year when this happens.
We will be lucky to get one of those players, and no we will not be the best team in the conference next year.

Reactions: pboiler18

Misspelled your own name, LMFAO! I picture you frantically creating your new usernames while plowing Cheetos and watching monster truck events on VHS, ha ha.

Watford is going to Memphis to play for Penney . Iu will be extremely lucky to make the nit

ADVERTISEMENT