ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas and the feds

Do Dah Day

All-American
Nov 8, 2015
The University of Kansas tacitly acknowledged that it has been subpoenaed by the federal government in the ongoing federal basketball investigation, according to a recent response to a public records request.

Kansas Open Records Act request, the school replied to a request for “any subpoenas received by (University of) Kansas… in relation to the ongoing federal investigation of college basketball” by stating it “has public records that are responsive to your request.” The university also stated it is “cooperating with the government inquiry.” In an email to Yahoo Sports in response to a Kansas Open Records Act request, the school replied to a request for “any subpoenas received by (University of) Kansas… in relation to the ongoing federal investigation of college basketball” by stating it “has public records that are responsive to your request.” The university also stated it is “cooperating with the government inquiry.”

The university denied Yahoo’s April request for copies of subpoenas, citing the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act and saying their release would “constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy.” Multiple lawyers and document experts contacted by Yahoo Sports confirmed that the language used by the university is an acknowledgement of the school being subpoenaed by the federal government.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kansas-tac...deral-basketball-investigation-142515144.html

The University of Kansas tacitly acknowledged that it has been subpoenaed by the federal government in the ongoing federal basketball investigation, according to a recent response to a public records request.

Kansas Open Records Act request, the school replied to a request for “any subpoenas received by (University of) Kansas… in relation to the ongoing federal investigation of college basketball” by stating it “has public records that are responsive to your request.” The university also stated it is “cooperating with the government inquiry.” In an email to Yahoo Sports in response to a Kansas Open Records Act request, the school replied to a request for “any subpoenas received by (University of) Kansas… in relation to the ongoing federal investigation of college basketball” by stating it “has public records that are responsive to your request.” The university also stated it is “cooperating with the government inquiry.”

The university denied Yahoo’s April request for copies of subpoenas, citing the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act and saying their release would “constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy.” Multiple lawyers and document experts contacted by Yahoo Sports confirmed that the language used by the university is an acknowledgement of the school being subpoenaed by the federal government.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kansas-tac...deral-basketball-investigation-142515144.html

It’ll likely get the UNC treatment and be swept under the rug...or Self will have a 3 game suspension to start the season against Kansas City Polytechnic State and Ag, Texas-Dallas Northern Suburb Technical, and Immaculate Conception and Mining

It’ll likely get the UNC treatment and be swept under the rug...or Self will have a 3 game suspension to start the season against Kansas City Polytechnic State and Ag, Texas-Dallas Northern Suburb Technical, and Immaculate Conception and Mining

Hey, Immaculate Conception and Mining was a juggernaut back in the 40's! They may be due for a resurgence!

I hope they force Self to go a season without his cheap hair piece.

This situation might turn against Kansas. It might be interesting if they find some of the kids, or even just one kid, was illegally recruited on the team that beat us in the NCAA's. It doesn't change the tourney outcome, but they would forfeit that game. I don't know why, but it would make me feel better.
:cool:

This situation might turn against Kansas. It might be interesting if they find some of the kids, or even just one kid, was illegally recruited on the team that beat us in the NCAA's. It doesn't change the tourney outcome, but they would forfeit that game. I don't know why, but it would make me feel better.
:cool:

It wouldn't make me feel better. It's stupid to punish teams in the past by making them forfeit games. The only way this will change is if they have to forfeit future games.

Pretend my one daughter got an extra donut for breakfast. My other daughter complains. So the solution is to declare that my first daughter actually only had one donut for breakfast. It doesn't make any sense.

It wouldn't make me feel better. It's stupid to punish teams in the past by making them forfeit games. The only way this will change is if they have to forfeit future games.

Pretend my one daughter got an extra donut for breakfast. My other daughter complains. So the solution is to declare that my first daughter actually only had one donut for breakfast. It doesn't make any sense.
You are punishing the school, and the coach if he is still coaching. The current players are collateral damage, of course.

However, look at it this way. (1) The current players can immediately transfer, and (2) perhaps some of the current players also received those same improper benefits, or (3) the current players most certainly were aware of those improper recruiting processes and went to that school anyway. Hence those current players get no sympathy from me.

It is no secret who cheats when you talk to recruits. Just Hard to prove to the NCAA. To put it bluntly, and overly simplistically, those collateral damage kids that went to cheating schools get what they deserve.

I've stopped tricking myself into thinking that anything will ever happen to these programs.

Once you do....you can go on enjoying OUR team and how WE do things. Sure, its painful come March/April usually but the other 4 months of the season ARE worth it.

You are punishing the school, and the coach if he is still coaching. The current players are collateral damage, of course.

However, look at it this way. (1) The current players can immediately transfer, and (2) perhaps some of the current players also received those same improper benefits, or (3) the current players most certainly were aware of those improper recruiting processes and went to that school anyway. Hence those current players get no sympathy from me.

It is no secret who cheats when you talk to recruits. Just Hard to prove to the NCAA. To put it bluntly, and overly simplistically, those collateral damage kids that went to cheating schools get what they deserve.
I compare the NCAA to Unions in their early days. Both were good for their subjects when founded, but now both are about the money.

This is why if a program is found to be doing these sorts of things, the penalty should be severe enough to not allow it to happen again. For example, if Kansas is found to have broken recruiting and eligibility rules...reduce the scholarship numbers to 3 total full scholarships and 4 partial scholarships that can be tied to academic money as well if the players qualify. This would occur for x2 years per violation (or: one player illegally recruited results in two years of penalties, 2 players equals 4). Allow all current members of the program the ability to transfer out of they are ‘collateral damage’ as one poster pointed out. It would still potentially give a program 7 scholarship athletes along with preferred walk-one tying the number to 8. The program would struggle but wouldn’t be the death penalty.

The programs like UNC and Kansas would struggle but would likely rebound over time but continued violations would cripple a program.

Again, the penalties have to match or exceed the violations or programs like Kansas or UNC have little to no incentive to stop.

This is why if a program is found to be doing these sorts of things, the penalty should be severe enough to not allow it to happen again. For example, if Kansas is found to have broken recruiting and eligibility rules...reduce the scholarship numbers to 3 total full scholarships and 4 partial scholarships that can be tied to academic money as well if the players qualify. This would occur for x2 years per violation (or: one player illegally recruited results in two years of penalties, 2 players equals 4). Allow all current members of the program the ability to transfer out of they are ‘collateral damage’ as one poster pointed out. It would still potentially give a program 7 scholarship athletes along with preferred walk-one tying the number to 8. The program would struggle but wouldn’t be the death penalty.

The programs like UNC and Kansas would struggle but would likely rebound over time but continued violations would cripple a program.

Again, the penalties have to match or exceed the violations or programs like Kansas or UNC have little to no incentive to stop.
I think most of us would agree that the penalties should be very harsh (I would be completely fine with a death penalty or 2), but I think we all know that it just isn’t going to happen.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
I’m not for the death penalty. It is overly harsh. I think the offending coach and his staff should be the primary targets of enforcement. Blatant and egregious cheating should be cause for the university to fire the staff. Limiting scholarships is a weak penalty, but still worth enforcing or minor violations that are done intentionally and result in unfair advantage.

There's the cheating, there's the rug.. but ribbing Kansas' scheduling screams bent-over phan-boy. Esp in comparison to Painter's and the gauntlet that has been the b1g. :rolleyes:

I’m not for the death penalty. It is overly harsh. I think the offending coach and his staff should be the primary targets of enforcement. Blatant and egregious cheating should be cause for the university to fire the staff. Limiting scholarships is a weak penalty, but still worth enforcing or minor violations that are done intentionally and result in unfair advantage.

I agree with this mostly. Strip titles. Fire and sanction staff and AD. Fine them $$$ they gained by cheating and have it go towards legal fees to find and uncover and prosecute this kind of crap. God knows the NCAA needs to take in fine money to line their own pockets.

ahhh, here we go with another new profile.

9 posts, all from this afternoon.

You dope.
Was it Kistek who was talking about bending over? Isn’t that the normal Kansas salute? I always think of Kansas as the prison shower of the BIG12, so it fits.

Reactions: Purdue85

Agreed. The offending coaches need to pay the price. There has been zero past accountability in this regard.

mmmmkay.

anyone who has 9 total posts . . . in ONE DAY here . . . gets what she deserves.
Actually Nag is correct. That low post count comes from only his/her posts on this specific board. Kristek is a regular poster on the national board, and is usually pretty reasonable. My crack about Kansas being the "prison shower" of the BIG12 was meant purely as a jest.

I've posted here before.. so if all 9 show as from yesterday, then it was before the rehaul of the forums. I posted here more than a few times about a big who ended up committing to somewhere, Mississippi. Might even be the big who's going to be playing at Maryland this coming season.
Can't keep track of all the nays for Kansas.

As I can see from '85's response, the legend that is Snu might not be too far off with labeling of a certain bunch. Yowzers.
My Don't make fun of Dolla Bill's scheduling really set off his brushfire. Maybe next time I won't include the emoj so we can find out how he really feels.

Oh noooo, not the CAPITAL LETTERS GUY!!!!!!!

Prob best to keep that one on lockdown.

I cheer for my school up and down, but it's no sweat off these tits if football rises to the top half of the Big XII or doesn't, says the girl on a college basketball chat forum.
Still gonna cheer, still gonna go, still going to love those who rep Kansas.

Best of luck in the b1g next season.

Reactions: pig1960
I've posted here before.. so if all 9 show as from yesterday, then it was before the rehaul of the forums. I posted here more than a few times about a big who ended up committing to somewhere, Mississippi. Might even be the big who's going to be playing at Maryland this coming season.

As I can see from '85's response, the legend that is Snu might not be too far off with labeling of a certain bunch. Yowzers.
My Don't make fun of Dolla Bill's scheduling really set off his brushfire. Maybe next time I won't include the emoj so we can find out how he really feels.

I cheer for my school up and down, but it's no sweat off these tits if football rises to the top half of the Big XII or doesn't, says the girl on a college basketball chat forum.

not labeling, just recognizing and identifying. Those who did so, earned that identification.

Hey, Immaculate Conception and Mining was a juggernaut back in the 40's! They may be due for a resurgence!

Have to ask as Cheeseman not that common of name. Are you related by any chance to a Chris Cheesman( lady) who attended Purdue 1970-74? Her family lived in Indy at the time. Know she had a brother. We were good friends and lost touch.

Have to ask as Cheeseman not that common of name. Are you related by any chance to a Chris Cheesman( lady) who attended Purdue 1970-74? Her family lived in Indy at the time. Know she had a brother. We were good friends and lost touch.
You and I started Purdue at the same time. I, however, was a slow learner. BS in '88 and MS in '90.

Reactions: BoilerGal74

FYI- Kistek is solid 24/7/365.

Reactions: KisteK
Whew, I got out just in time LOL

Reactions: BoilerGal74
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT