ADVERTISEMENT

Kanon Catchings...has anyone on staff or Kanon himself commented on the status of his commitment?

Exactly - the 4 guys OTE got drafted were getting drafted no matter where they went. Purdue has done a great job getting guys like Dakota Mathias and Trevion Williams even to the point where they are getting on rosters.
Trevion has never been on an nba roster, so you clearly have no idea what you’re talking about.

Yeh, I know people come from different backgrounds and circumstances, but completing high school is mostly just showing up and doing the minimum.
But, if you at least do the homework assigned (instead of smoking weed, skipping class, playing video games, etc) and go to class, you have about a 95% chance of graduating taking the minimum requirement classes.
If your parents don’t give a shit about education and you have a home life that at best is neglectful and unstable and at worst is highly abusive it takes an extraordinary young person or some really positive outside forces to even hit that low bar of consistently showing up.

I’m all for personal a accountability but most of us from two parent families (or stable single parents) don’t have a clue what it’s like to grow up in that type of environment.

If your parents don’t give a shit about education and you have a home life that at best is neglectful and unstable and at worst is highly abusive it takes an extraordinary young person or some really positive outside forces to even hit that low bar of consistently showing up.

I’m all for personal a accountability but most of us from two parent families (or stable single parents) don’t have a clue what it’s like to grow up in that type of environment.
This is a pretty deep rabbit hole we can go down.
Suffice it to say, some people just shouldn't have children.

Reactions: northside100
One thing with Kanon going to OTE is Flory should seal up the 2024 Indiana player of the year. The next highest kid from the state is KJ Windham and Jack Benter.

Look who Kentucky recruits. Correlation does not necessarily imply causation. Painter would have those 21 guys in the NBA, as well.
There is some truth to that but if you haven't done it, you haven't done it. Nearly every team in the B1G has more guys in the NBA than Purdue. I don't really care. All I care about is Purdue winning, but I could see were a recruit like Catchings would.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Th

Then why is he there in the first place. His focus appears to be on basketball. Even if he goes to Purdue, I don't believe his intention would be to stay 4 years and get a degree. He's going to do what's best for him from a basketball stand point. As someone who is a huge Purdue fan, I think he'd be making a mistake coming to Purdue if his goal is simply to play in the NBA.

OTE had 4 guys drafted last year. Purdue has 1 former player in the NBA. If he's wants to be a one and done there are far better options than Purdue. Kentucky has 21 former players in the NBA. Hell, OTE plays its games in Atlanta so its not like he's coming to Purdue to be close to home.

My prediction..... He gone.
OTE is basically a mini pro team. Their facilities and reach are going to be way better than Brownsburg but Ill bet anything theyre not what Purdue has. I dont expect Catchings to graduate but it was smart to go the prep route for his last year of HS. Im sure he can see what could possibly happen with NIL at Purdue looking at Edey. Purdue might not have the draft pick resume but as far as NIL in college think of all the All Americans theyve had recently that would of made lots of NIL money. The lower tiered guys on the team might not make lots but Painter consistently has top ten players in the country.

I dont expect Catchings to graduate but it was smart to go the prep route for his last year of HS.
So does this mean that academics were an issue for him? I saw some posts on Twitter that claimed he might not make it to Purdue because of grades and/or graduating to qualify.

OTE is basically a mini pro team. Their facilities and reach are going to be way better than Brownsburg but Ill bet anything theyre not what Purdue has. I dont expect Catchings to graduate but it was smart to go the prep route for his last year of HS. Im sure he can see what could possibly happen with NIL at Purdue looking at Edey. Purdue might not have the draft pick resume but as far as NIL in college think of all the All Americans theyve had recently that would of made lots of NIL money. The lower tiered guys on the team might not make lots but Painter consistently has top ten players in the country.
I agree with everything you say except OTE is not a Prep school. LA Lumiere is a prep school. LA Lumiere cost $50K+ per year. I'm from Indiana and never heard of it until they went all in on the basketball program to get their name out their as a marketing tool. Average SAT score at La Lumiere is 1250, so it's not just for athletes. Like you said OTE is basically a mini pro team. The players take classes through a third party online school. They aren't close to the same thing.

The only other think I'll add is that Catchings is the 15th ranked high school senior according to 247. We're not talking about a guy like Colvin who is ranked 60th who many believe has a chance to play in the league someday. If your Catchings at this point you would expect to play in the League in the next couple of years. Catchings is ranked higher than Biggie and his build and athleticism is a far better match for the NBA than anyone Purdue has had on its roster in years with the exception of Ivey.

This is a pretty deep rabbit hole we can go down.
Suffice it to say, some people just shouldn't have children.
Not a rabbit hole. What you said is just flat wrong (except maybe under best circumstances), and then blaming people who “shouldn’t have children.” You forget to ask. what about the kids who have to grow up in those situations ?

One thing with Kanon going to OTE is Flory should seal up the 2024 Indiana player of the year. The next highest kid from the state is KJ Windham and Jack Benter.
KJ Windham is off the board and on his way to Northwestern. Dude is going to be a pest.

Not a rabbit hole. What you said is just flat wrong (except maybe under best circumstances), and then blaming people who “shouldn’t have children.” You forget to ask. what about the kids who have to grow up in those situations ?
Dumb decisions usually run in the family.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT