ADVERTISEMENT

just watched the Illinois replay

PaBoiler78

All-American
Jan 18, 2002
Tracy looked really good, looks like he worked on his frame and may have played out of position last year. Burks also looked really good, he was my pre season pick to have a breakout yr. The Macias kid showed a strong leg, that made 40 yd FG hit way up in the net after going thru, only a RS FR. Did take note to two procedures that cost drives, got to stop this already.

Tracy looked really good, looks like he worked on his frame and may have played out of position last year. Burks also looked really good, he was my pre season pick to have a breakout yr. The Macias kid showed a strong leg, that made 40 yd FG hit way up in the net after going thru, only a RS FR. Did take note to two procedures that cost drives, got to stop this already.
I thought the same thing about the FG. That thing looked like it would have been good from 60

Reactions: RossMackey
Did you see the Card slide? Looked like they marked him two yards short, but maybe I don't understand where the refs say the ball is when he's "down".

It should be where the ref feels the ball was at the time the ref considers the player down.

Since they can't really hit you, I am surprised more QBs do not slide head first with ball out front securely held with both hands.

Last edited:
Ball is dead at the spot where the QB starts to slide. That was a mistake by Card and they spotted it right. If you go head first you can and likely will be hit though.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
I remember a similar situation when we were playing MN a couple of years ago. MN QB had a lot of green grass and looked to have easily got the first down, but ref spotted him where he started the slide which was about 1 yard shy of a first down. I think they reviewed the spot at the time.

I remember a similar situation when we were playing MN a couple of years ago. MN QB had a lot of green grass and looked to have easily got the first down, but ref spotted him where he started the slide which was about 1 yard shy of a first down. I think they reviewed the spot at the time.
Isn't it simple, just like a normal play, where the ball is when a person is called down.

He is down as soon as he starts his slide since he is giving up to avoid getting hit.
So if he's a six footer, that's 2 yards short of the start of the slide. QB really needs to pay attention to where the sticks are.

I think what really threw me off is he actually SLID after he went down, maybe another yard or yard and a half, so the spot looked REALLY short.

Ball is dead at the spot where the QB starts to slide. That was a mistake by Card and they spotted it right. If you go head first you can and likely will be hit though.
He did the same thing against Wisconsin I believe, or maybe it was Syracuse. He scrambled for about 12 yards but slid too early. Turned out there was a holding penalty anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT