ADVERTISEMENT

Just returned from the game w/kids-- great experience!

HinsdaleBoiler

All-American
Oct 22, 2004
I just returned from the game in Evanston with my wife and kids. A big thanks to Boiler Bob Chicago for the help getting tickets right behind Purdue's bench. Some observations and fun stuff:

- Hammons is clearly on the verge of becoming very special. He owned everyone on the court and a times cleared rebounds without leaving his feet. Just dominant. Smooth touch around the basket.

- Davis is this team's clear leader - heart and soul. He plays like it too - all business. He had a quiet 15 tonight but always seemed to make a play when we needed it.

- Haas is so big he blots out the sun and Northwestern players were just bouncing off of him. His contribution tonight was huge. Painter was all over him when he picked up his offensive foul.

- Speaking of Painter, he was a red ass tonight (not mean, but very pointed) and had everyone's attention. Whatever he said to the team at half time worked. We came out on fire. It was clear we took it up a notch or two.

- Octeus was the X factor tonight. His rebounding on the defensive end was impressive. And our seats were about 15 yards away from the rim when he flushed the monster dunk - you could feel it jar the floor. Big free throws down the stretch too. Man, what a pick up. Works so hard on D, too.

- Stephens is really struggling and you can tell he's pressing. But honestly he didn't get good looks. I thought he really struggled to get free.

- McIntosh is the real deal. He can flat out play. We did a better job on him in the second half but he did pretty much what he wanted. Surprisingly quick off of the dribble. And big. He's going to be a top player in this league.

Now for some fun soft stuff. My kids - 6 and 9 - were all decked out in Purdue gear including eye black and made a sign with all the players' names on it. They greeted the team for shoot around and then after the game got high fives from everyone on the team leaving the floor. My 6 year-old son said that Edwards told him "I appreciate all of my fans - even the little ones." Needless to say he was on cloud ninety-nine. Both kids are still talking about it.

- Was able to chat with Everett Stephens and his wife. I shared a class with him long ago and we briefly joked about it. He was gracious enough to take a photo with my kids and me. Lovely people.

- The crowd was very pro Purdue - Old Gold and Black everywhere per usual. Felt like a pseudo home game.

There's some very good mojo brewing with this team. If they can keep it up they will be very, very tough to beat in February.

This post was edited on 2/1 12:59 AM by HinsdaleBoiler

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News