ADVERTISEMENT

Just re-watched the game in 60.

Tommaker

Senior
Dec 11, 2002
I like that format, BTW. I know it was FAU, but Mockabee looked very good, Downing looked REALLY good and Lewis looked good. Had a few more receivers step up, and Evans was GREAT on the returns.

My only (slight) heartburn was starting Alaimo after Burton. I get trying to get PT for both of them, but if Burton is on a roll, why not let him play? I think in todays world you may have to offer that chance at PT just tp make sure you keep kids.

I like that format, BTW. I know it was FAU, but Mockabee looked very good, Downing looked REALLY good and Lewis looked good. Had a few more receivers step up, and Evans was GREAT on the returns.

My only (slight) heartburn was starting Alaimo after Burton. I get trying to get PT for both of them, but if Burton is on a roll, why not let him play? I think in todays world you may have to offer that chance at PT just tp make sure you keep kids.
I think Mok is the type of RB we have been missing. We would have won if we used him late in the PSU game

Mockabee has good hands too.

Reactions: BSIT and TX4GB
one series is not enough to get your feet wet. He didn't have a bad series
Agree. And I think Brohm does as well as he's already stated Aliamo would play again against MN if Oconnell is out.

The success of Brohms passing offense is hitting those 12-15 yard throws, something which O’Connell is very good at. I'm guessing Aliamo can make those throws better than Burton and that's why he's in the conversation to play.

NOTE: can we stop that dumb roll out 3rd down play to Durham in which he's 3 yards behind the sticks and a defender draped on him. He has very little chance of getting the first down in that situation.

Agree. And I think Brohm does as well as he's already stated Aliamo would play again against MN if Oconnell is out.

The success of Brohms passing offense is hitting those 12-15 yard throws, something which O’Connell is very good at. I'm guessing Aliamo can make those throws better than Burton and that's why he's in the conversation to play.

NOTE: can we stop that dumb roll out 3rd down play to Durham in which he's 3 yards behind the sticks and a defender draped on him. He has very little chance of getting the first down in that situation.
saw Dallas run that play a couple of times last night. What I'd like to see is a play where there is deception by formation. Bring in the tackle like they do for extra blocking fake a handoff to that side and boot the QB opposite.

Reactions: DAG10

Yeah, i don't know if that's an issue of Durham not knowing where the sticks are or pulling the trigger too soon or too late. Did it twice Saturday, just killed me. Then again the point may be you throw it there because you know coverage is playing off you, and the thought is a TE should have the Chutzpah to get those last few yards.

Yeah, i don't know if that's an issue of Durham not knowing where the sticks are or pulling the trigger too soon or too late. Did it twice Saturday, just killed me. Then again the point may be you throw it there because you know coverage is playing off you, and the thought is a TE should have the Chutzpah to get those last few yards.
To your point, I am not sure what the planned action is on that play, but, it failed as you said twice. I hate throwing short of the sticks almost ever on a 3rd and short situation...yes, ideally your TE would be able to gain a few more yards, but, not when the LB or DB is just hanging on him at the point of catch as that is asking a lot...one thing if it is a yard...another if it is 3 or 4.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
To your point, I am not sure what the planned action is on that play, but, it failed as you said twice. I hate throwing short of the sticks almost ever on a 3rd and short situation...yes, ideally your TE would be able to gain a few more yards, but, not when the LB or DB is just hanging on him at the point of catch as that is asking a lot...one thing if it is a yard...another if it is 3 or 4.
I'd have to see it again, but sometimes that play is an option to either throw it or run for the first down and let the TE block, depending on where the (usually) single defender is at decision time. But if that was the plan, Burton pulled the trigger before the run could have developed.

I'd have to see it again, but sometimes that play is an option to either throw it or run for the first down and let the TE block, depending on where the (usually) single defender is at decision time. But if that was the plan, Burton pulled the trigger before the run could have developed.
I believe the one pass was thrown early due to pressure from DE as he rolled out to throw it.

Do you have a link to the game in 60?

I remember seeing it before and liked it but can't seem to find it and the Purdue game.

I believe the one pass was thrown early due to pressure from DE as he rolled out to throw it.
Could be...I would have to see it again. I know on the last one...on the final offensive drive...it did not appear to be a product of that, it was just poor execution of some sort seemingly...he caught it about 3/4 yards shy of the sticks and with a guy draped on him, and, came up at least 2 yards short (followed by a punt into the end zone, which STILL bothers me as well).

(followed by a punt into the end zone, which STILL bothers me as well).
Big time. Same thing against Penn State in the biggest moment. We're all thrilled with the 67 yarder he had in the first half, but the touchback meant so much more.

Big time. Same thing against Penn State in the biggest moment. We're all thrilled with the 67 yarder he had in the first half, but the touchback meant so much more.
And, I had commented on it after the PSU game actually on here...as, it was just such a bad punt at the time and in the given situation.

Literally, anything inside the 20 is a bonus opposed to a kick directly into the end zone...and, while indeed thrilled for the 67-yarder (and, very happy for him for that matter in particular given some struggles that he has had), just an average punt by his standards in the PSU game or the FAU game in those big situations would have been big...and appreciated...and, potentially, impactful also.

Coverage is never off if you on that play. Need to scrap it altogether. Watch the play. If he breaks the first tackle, there are 3-4 guys converging within yards.

I think Mok is the type of RB we have been missing. We would have won if we used him late in the PSU game
I was always perplexed that Mockobee wasn't offered anywhere else because he was really good in high school and was a great track star too. This doesn't surprise me at all. I chalked it up to COVID effecting his recruiting.

Reactions: BSIT
I was always perplexed that Mockobee wasn't offered anywhere else because he was really good in high school and was a great track star too. This doesn't surprise me at all. I chalked it up to COVID effecting his recruiting.
He was accepted to Navy and chose to be a PWO to pursue his dream school. He would have had plenty of snaps in the Navy offense and still play some high competition. Two different worlds for sure. I think everyone, like CJB, thought he had such limited tape against not so good competition that he was completely overlooked. I hope he has a full scholarship by next year.

I view the situation that an excellent athlete can be overlooked in small high schools for the bigger programs, at least for football.

Reactions: BSIT
He was accepted to Navy and chose to be a PWO to pursue his dream school. He would have had plenty of snaps in the Navy offense and still play some high competition. Two different worlds for sure. I think everyone, like CJB, thought he had such limited tape against not so good competition that he was completely overlooked. I hope he has a full scholarship by next year.

I view the situation that an excellent athlete can be overlooked in small high schools for the bigger programs, at least for football.

I always kind of laugh when people look at southern Indiana football and talk about the limited competition they play. There are VERY good programs in southern Indiana. Jasper, Heritage Hills, Mater Dei, Evansville Reitz, to name a few. I never saw Mockobee play at Boonville. But he was clearly overlooked based on all of the highlights I would see in the local news.

I always kind of laugh when people look at southern Indiana football and talk about the limited competition they play. There are VERY good programs in southern Indiana. Jasper, Heritage Hills, Mater Dei, Evansville Reitz, to name a few. I never saw Mockobee play at Boonville. But he was clearly overlooked based on all of the highlights I would see in the local news.
And the most athletic kid in every pee wee league gets put at RB. So there's a ton of good ones out there, even where the overall football talent doesn't run deep and they can't march out a line to compete with Center Grove. Makes it all that more frustrating that we can't seem to recruit and develop the position.

Reactions: purduepat1969
And the most athletic kid in every pee wee league gets put at RB. So there's a ton of good ones out there, even where the overall football talent doesn't run deep and they can't march out a line to compete with Center Grove. Makes it all that more frustrating that we can't seem to recruit and develop the position.

The biggest issue at Purdue isn't the running back. It's the OL's ability to hold blocks and open holes against power 5 defensive lines. IMHO, after 6 years, it's coaching of the OL, not the players.

Agree, and I thought Louisville was close to Southern Indiana

It did big time!

Really proud for you all and your nephew.. you know I believed. And I know you all and 45 know that the job is far from done. So glad to have a warrior like that in the family

Yeah he still got a long road to go to get better, stronger and add 15lbs of weight.

Main thing now just got to stay healthy and get the most out of his plays.That he has been assigned to help his team.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BCfanatic2020
Yeah he still got a long road to go to get better, stronger and add 15lbs of weight.

Main thing now just got to stay healthy and get the most out of his plays.That he has been assigned to help his team.
I’m a huge fan.. I wish tirek Murphy and al Terek mcburse had half his heart and brain and that Joey Harris had half his work ethic to stay in the classroom

I just wish Milton Wright had half his work ethic and didn't throw away an opportunity...
I haven't given up on a Wright return ala Justin Siller. No inside info whatsoever. Just don't see how a guy that worked that hard just totally give up football (non injury related), especially being so close to being an NFL worthy draft pick.

He's not playing for anyone else this year (that i see) and Brohm would assuredly welcome him back next season.

Of course, I could be totally wrong on this and he's completely content sitting in his parent's basement eating donuts watching reruns of Knight Rider on Roku.

Reactions: purduepat1969
R
I haven't given up on a Wright return ala Justin Siller. No inside info whatsoever. Just don't see how a guy that worked that hard just totally give up football (non injury related), especially being so close to being an NFL worthy draft pick.

He's not playing for anyone else this year (that i see) and Brohm would assuredly welcome him back next season.

Of course, I could be totally wrong on this and he's completely content sitting in his parent's basement eating donuts watching reruns of Knight Rider on Roku.
Roku has reruns of Knight Rider???? Why was I not informed of this???!!??

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?

He is working out in Florida for the draft next year

ADVERTISEMENT