ADVERTISEMENT

Just not sure Purdue has enough offensive firepower on the wings and in the backcourt.

Nov 5, 2022
Certainly the Boilers are the class of the B10 and are the best chance our league has to have a team make a deep tourney run, but in terms of national title aspirations do you think they have enough offensive firepower? Especially in the backcourt and on the wing? Feels like they are missing maybe one more consistent scorer/shooter. Thoughts?

Our 3pt shooting is atrocious and is certainly a liability.

If they get on a hot streak...we'll be great.

So far...they have shown to have 1 good game in 4.

Not encouraging for a one and done tourney.
Of course...I hope they get hot!

They have shown the ability to win regardless! We have the killer instinct. The liability is certainly the outside shooting.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Certainly the Boilers are the class of the B10 and are the best chance our league has to have a team make a deep tourney run, but in terms of national title aspirations do you think they have enough offensive firepower? Especially in the backcourt and on the wing? Feels like they are missing maybe one more consistent scorer/shooter. Thoughts?
Probably not, just enjoying the year for what it is, they were picked mid tier in the league for a reason.

I have my doubts, certainly. I really wish we could have had Ivey for one more year (but who knows how that would have affected Edey and the freshmen). Our outside shooting looked great early in the season but has been pretty poor since. If one of the guys catches fire from outside, though, it's tough for teams to handle. Despite the poor outside shooting, we've been tough for teams to handle, anyway. Edey is dictating a lot of what opponents are doing, certainly more than I can remember many other Purdue players doing (at least since Glenn Robinson).

We def have the talent and the scorers. During the Portland run we averaged like 79-80 points. You don't just luck into that.

I think the difference as we'veoved deeper into the season has been the expectations. It's easy to play loose and have fun when people don't expect much.

Now that we're expected to accomplish so much given our outsized performance compared to the preseason outlook, they're getting into their heads more.

We'll get it figured out

I will say this, though, the shooting woes seem worse at home in Mackey. I’m not seeing the stats in front of me but it certainly feels like that. So, maybe playing in neutral courts will help come tournament time. Morton, Newman, and Jenkins have to do better from 3 especially when they get open looks. Turnovers and handling pressure defense is more concerning to me than shooting at this point.

I will say this, though, the shooting woes seem worse at home in Mackey. I’m not seeing the stats in front of me but it certainly feels like that. So, maybe playing in neutral courts will help come tournament time. Morton, Newman, and Jenkins have to do better from 3 especially when they get open looks. Turnovers and handling pressure defense is more concerning to me than shooting at this point.
Jenkins seems to be hitting more shots. Morton can make any shots. Newman is doing decent. He is driving and getting baskets and some fouls.

Yea, do the 60s or 80s point Boilers show up??? This three point shooting is huge.

Eventually, it will matter late in the season when the opponent is better than what we are currently seeing now from a below average B10, with only 2 currently ranked teams.

But 5 on 4 is making us easier to D and lowers our scoring.

Last edited:
Purdue will welcome the tourney officiating. No more hack a Edey and no fouls called.

From what Coach Painter said after the game, Edey will definitely welcome that.....they (the coaching staff) were just trying to calm/settle him down on no-calls. First time in a while I heard Painter express some frustration about it......I had to chuckle with the Piñata reference. Approximately 9:23 below.

To be clear, though....IMO, what got Purdue in trouble today was just a poor start/focus coming out for the second half (which for the most part this season hasn't happened)......and Maryland took advantage of that.

Last edited:
Defense does not when titles in college bballl. You have to score. It’s why I worry Purdue is built for Bog 10 success but not NcAAt success.

Defense does not when titles in college bballl. You have to score. It’s why I worry Purdue is built for Bog 10 success but not NcAAt success.
I disagree with the implication that Purdue is not built to score. Sure, this team will struggle a little when the three point shots aren’t falling, but this team does have good shooters. Edey is dominant both in the post and even more so on the offensive boards. Fletch is as cool under pressure as any freshman I have seen in a long time. Smith has everything you need in a point guard. Purdue is fourth in KenPom offense despite their outside shooting struggles, which speaks to a very high offensive ceiling.

Last edited:
I disagree with the implication that Purdue is not built to score. Sure, this team will struggle a little when the three point shots aren’t falling, but this team does have good shooters. Edey is dominant both in the post and even more so on the offensive boards. Fletch is as cool under pressure as any freshman I have seen in a long time. Smith has everything you need in a point guard. Purdue is fourth in KenPom offense despite their outside shooting struggles, which speaks to a very high offense ceiling.

Tend to agree, BDaddy. We've seen what happens when the shots are falling.....makes them that much tougher. If they avoid the empty possessions and defensive breakdowns, they're still a tough out from the rebounding and getting enough stops.

We shall see - it's been a really pleasant surprise so far but a long way to go yet.

I have my doubts, certainly. I really wish we could have had Ivey for one more year (but who knows how that would have affected Edey and the freshmen). Our outside shooting looked great early in the season but has been pretty poor since. If one of the guys catches fire from outside, though, it's tough for teams to handle. Despite the poor outside shooting, we've been tough for teams to handle, anyway. Edey is dictating a lot of what opponents are doing, certainly more than I can remember many other Purdue players doing (at least since Glenn Robinson).
This team wouldn't be as good with Ivey.

But it's actually Purdue's defense that is lagging behind.
Offense 4th - peak #1 this season
Defense 17th - was as high as 38

Painter has had this issue with his teams the past few years with imbalanced teams, good offense and bad defense relative to other top teams

He was great on Young holding him to 0 points in the first half. Young had 25+ the last 3 games.
I was surprised he could stay with him, but Matt started Ethan on him from the very beginning. Matt gets to see this things in practice that we don't. I thought he could D 2-4, but never thought he could a primary ball handler

Even with opponents expecting him to be our offensive focus, Zach is shooting >60% from 2 which is more efficient than shooting 40% from 3. Thus, 3 pt scoring has been less important this year
you also never mentioned that he is drawing fouls, removing pieces, getting into bonus where Purdue adds points and if in bonus early allows stopping the clock if needed later with closer shots less likely for run outs. There is a lot of basketball besides the weighting of the shot. Still, Purdue is best when they have good balance somewhere around 40 2s and 20 3s most games I imagine...and hit 7 or 8 min out of the 20

you also never mentioned that he is drawing fouls, removing pieces, getting into bonus where Purdue adds points and if in bonus early allows stopping the clock if needed later with closer shots less likely for run outs. There is a lot of basketball besides the weighting of the shot. Still, Purdue is best when they have good balance somewhere around 40 2s and 20 3s most games I imagine...and hit 7 or 8 min out of the 20
I'm not sure Edey gets enough credit for this. One thing that gets overlooked is that Edey getting fouled= Purdue in the bonus earlier.

Could the difference between this year's teams and those from the past be that Purdue is a really good free throw shooting team (76%, 28th in country)? In two out of the last three games Purdue went 16-18 (89%) from the line. Shooting less than 70% from the line in either of those games and we probably lose. In our one point loss to Rutgers we were 19-28.

Yesterday Smith was 0-4 from the floor but 8-8 from the line. Clutch free throw shooting makes Purdue a difficult team to beat in close games.

Morton did as much to win the game today as any player. He was NOT the problem.
Morton did his job. Our young guards struggled in late game pressure, but had enough for the win. Our 4 position didn't do much for us tonight as well..

This Maryland team is good and was ranked at one point. I think it's a good win. We keep winning close competitive games. Last year people hated the close losses 🫣

I'm not sure Edey gets enough credit for this. One thing that gets overlooked is that Edey getting fouled= Purdue in the bonus earlier.

Could the difference between this year's teams and those from the past be that Purdue is a really good free throw shooting team (76%, 28th in country)? In two out of the last three games Purdue went 16-18 (89%) from the line. Shooting less than 70% from the line in either of those games and we probably lose. In our one point loss to Rutgers we were 19-28.

Yesterday Smith was 0-4 from the floor but 8-8 from the line. Clutch free throw shooting makes Purdue a difficult team to beat in close games.
Exactly, why we won yesterday....FT's. That's a tough Maryland team.

Yes, personally getting into the bonus early should be huge due to all the things I said...and the other players....they benefit, if attacking as well. If Purdue is behind at half, Matt typically gets the players and ball going inside knowing he may need to stop the clock later and lengthen the game or have the other team back off on the D a bit due to bonus. Still a threatening 3 pointer helps with the spacing...and if hitting them decent improves the overall O

Morton did his job. Our young guards struggled in late game pressure, but had enough for the win. Our 4 position didn't do much for us tonight as well..

This Maryland team is good and was ranked at one point. I think it's a good win. We keep winning close competitive games. Last year people hated the close losses 🫣
Poise and more intelligent play by all is the difference. Hopefully, Purdue gets a quicker whistle at Maryland and Braden has energy.

Some of that wasn't just physical play inside on Zach or the 2-2-1 zone press. Maryland looked to show a zone and then changed after a few seconds while Purdue chewed more clock after the 2-2-1 zone making it difficult if not enough time to feed the post. Sometimes it looked like it was Match-up zone and other times Maryland didn't actually hand-off players going through (Match-up) but stayed with players in Man. Ironically, Crean was doing this his last year or two at IU.

The position that generally could require more time in an offense is the low post 5 in that the person is needing others to find him at the right time and angle with many times the first look is denied or a quick double comes...both that eat clock after the 2-2-1 also ate clock and so Maryland did a couple of things that should reduce Zach's numbers even though his numbers ended up just fine. The only other thing that might have reduced Zach's numbers was quick attacks off the press where if Purdue scores...fine and if Purdue doesn't score...oops as Zach runs between the arcs taken out of the game essentially. Course "if" Purdue scores it could be best, but if Purdue doesn't score it would be horrible. There are no solutions...only trade-offs like all of life! ;)

Reactions: Poprudy
“Bog 10” - haha! So true! I know it was a typo, but what an apt description. And rhymes with slog, which is exactly what this league is! Well-played sir! 😄

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT