ADVERTISEMENT

Jones

HUD628

Senior
Apr 11, 2007
What are we really expecting from Jones? My initial reaction was just that he’d be a good return man, but I wasn’t expecting a big role in the offense.

Athlon says

“Iowa transfer Charlie Jones and Broc Thompson are likely to be the go-to options on the outside.”

That has to be just ignorance on their part, correct? Jones is not a starting outside receiver is he? I figured him for like 15-20 catches tops.

I honestly have no recollection of him at Iowa so maybe I’m being unfair kind of pigeon holing him into just a return man.

What are we really expecting from Jones? My initial reaction was just that he’d be a good return man, but I wasn’t expecting a big role in the offense.

Athlon says

“Iowa transfer Charlie Jones and Broc Thompson are likely to be the go-to options on the outside.”

That has to be just ignorance on their part, correct? Jones is not a starting outside receiver is he? I figured him for like 15-20 catches tops.

I honestly have no recollection of him at Iowa so maybe I’m being unfair kind of pigeon holing him into just a return man.

Everyone is saying we got a playmaker in big letters

I'm expecting a good return guy. I'm expecting him to work on his route running and be a decent playmaker for us. I could see him doing some gadget plays and some jet sweeps. I don't see him as a starter tbh. I don't know that much about him though.

Reactions: pboiler18

Athlon says

Many ( including me) believe he will start on the outside or at worse be in a 3 man rotation with Broc Thompson and Mershawn Rice. .

Reactions: boiler800
I'm expecting a good return guy. I'm expecting him to work on his route running and be a decent playmaker for us. I could see him doing some gadget plays and some jet sweeps. I don't see him as a starter tbh. I don't know that much about him though.
He'll be a solid Vinny Sutherland like return man as well as a slot receiver who will be Anthrop like with more speed and shiftiness.

I can definitely see Jones lining on the outside, besides slot. I think Tracy will also be doing both. We need playmakers on the outside, since we lost Bell to the NFL and Wright to grades.

Reactions: pboiler18
Maybe I am too high on our WR talent. I feel like Rice, Yaseen, and Sullivan are talented and fit the outside profile. In watching highlights of Jones, it does look like Iowa used him on the outside. Thing is, the guy only has like 3 highlights for his career, so hard to tell anything from that. Maybe he and Tracy split that role we saw in spring. IMO it will take an injury on the outside, which certainly would be no surprise, for him to be a big contributor there. But it is exciting to have a good return man. Seems like we haven't had one in forever. I know Rondale was a AA as a return man, but I don't even remember him being that good at it lol. Probably more about the other 10 guys we use on return teams though.

Athlon says

There a journal courier article about how he and AOC played together in HS and he was his favorite target. If they still have that chemistry, he'll be a target.

Ooooh we have a shower narrative here. I'm in. Jones all B1G WR

Anyone know if they went to church together? If we can add a bible narrative, we may be looking at an AA

He’s gonna start I think

He’s gonna start I think
There is a lot of talent in our WR room, but there are lots of question marks also. Thompson coming off of two surgeries, Yaseen and Sheffield coming off of injury, Rice hasn't been able to stay healthy. Heck we could open play against PSU with Jones, Steptoe and Tracy as the starting receivers.

There is a lot of talent in our WR room, but there are lots of question marks also. Thompson coming off of two surgeries, Yaseen and Sheffield coming off of injury, Rice hasn't been able to stay healthy. Heck we could open play against PSU with Jones, Steptoe and Tracy as the starting receivers.
TJ sheffield produced more than I thought last year.. think about this.. sharing the ball with bell, Wright, the tight ends, the backs, Thompson and Anthrop at his own position, he was about as productive last year as any two seasons from Jared sparks

TJ sheffield produced more than I thought last year.. think about this.. sharing the ball with bell, Wright, the tight ends, the backs, Thompson and Anthrop at his own position, he was about as productive last year as any two seasons from Jared sparks
I thought Sheffield was awesome. If he comes back fully healthy this fall, I expect big things. I am also glad we have the talent at TE we do. I expect they will be targeted alot this year.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
I thought Sheffield was awesome. If he comes back fully healthy this fall, I expect big things. I am also glad we have the talent at TE we do. I expect they will be targeted alot this year.
Hopefully, Shef is 100%. Anyone know how he's doing?

ADVERTISEMENT