ADVERTISEMENT

Johari Branch

Jul 9, 2005
Saw he committed to Maryland last night cancelling his visit to us next weekend. Wonder who else the staff will turn to now to help get some depth on the o-line.

Saw he committed to Maryland last night cancelling his visit to us next weekend. Wonder who else the staff will turn to now to help get some depth on the o-line.
I was hoping he would get Ford, but Minnesota is putting the full court press on him. He is visiting there next weekend. I am thinking it is less likely we are going to get him. Hope I am wrong.

I wonder what will happen with Randy Holtz. Rumor was he would commit to Purdue had the staff pushed for him to do so.

I know they appear to be looking for instant help, but at some point they gotta make that call.

Hopefully the Tennessee OL grad transfer visits

I know I’ve said it before but, besides Hartwig, why are we having a hard time attracting offensive lineman? We have not had trouble with skill players. Is Dale Williams not a good recruiter? You should be able to sell playing time and the fact that we are loaded at skill spots and really sell him that realistically he is the missing piece this team needs. Unfortunately, I agree with Kentucky boiler that Ford is going to end up at Minnesota

I know I’ve said it before but, besides Hartwig, why are we having a hard time attracting offensive lineman? We have not had trouble with skill players. Is Dale Williams not a good recruiter? You should be able to sell playing time and the fact that we are loaded at skill spots and really sell him that realistically he is the missing piece this team needs. Unfortunately, I agree with Kentucky boiler that Ford is going to end up at Minnesota

We have four (4) 3-star OL coming in. Last year we had 1. The year before, 4.

Reactions: nips18 and jindy

Had 2 last year didn't we? Jornigan and Craig? Think Hostege and Minnott(the Rivals 2 stars) will be better than the ratings, but possibly not as quickly as some others. All of them were 3 stars on 247 I believe. This year's group is definitely rated higher across the board. Don't think there's anything wrong with Williams as a recruiter or as a coach. Lines just take the longest to develop and there was not much left in the junior and senior classes. Unfortunately the process just can't be sped up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dakota Girl
I do agree that it’s not bad and I’m not saying we don’t have any talent. I’m talking more of a higher rated, earlier impact guy. We get guys like Rondale Moore, David Bell, Milton Wright, George Karlaftis, Marvin Grant, Steven Facheaux, Maliq Carr, Alaimo, Tirek Murphy, Greg Hudgins and so on that are highly rated. I figured with a deep set of skill guys we could get a big dog lineman. Hartwig may be that guy

Reactions: SKYDOG and Purdue85
It's a lot easier to compete physically early at receiver or DB than as a lineman. Faucheux has good size but didn't play right away - apparently recovering from a leg injury but likely needed to reshape his body as well. Karlaftis is just a beast, an an exception.

Wouldn't be surprised is Bycznski sees the field next year- good size(will still likely need to gain strength) plus he's from a football state and his name just screams "toughness'".

I do agree that it’s not bad and I’m not saying we don’t have any talent. I’m talking more of a higher rated, earlier impact guy. We get guys like Rondale Moore, David Bell, Milton Wright, George Karlaftis, Marvin Grant, Steven Facheaux, Maliq Carr, Alaimo, Tirek Murphy, Greg Hudgins and so on that are highly rated. I figured with a deep set of skill guys we could get a big dog lineman. Hartwig may be that guy
God (or for you godless heathen, nature) only makes so many 6' plus 300# plus guys. Only some of them play football, and only some of THEM can play at the next level. Couple that with the fact that O-lineman has to be the shortest lifespan in terms of playing careers (take a look at the line next time and see how many guys are already wearing braces as frosh/sophs in college) and it's got to be one of the toughest positions to fill. It's why Tiller an Co. used to look for guys who could "put on weight" and grow into the position. I think I've mentioned it before, years ago I sat next to one of the Colts trainers on a flight. He was telling me the average pro career span of an O-lineman is 1.5 years.

God (or for you godless heathen, nature) only makes so many 6' plus 300# plus guys. Only some of them play football, and only some of THEM can play at the next level. Couple that with the fact that O-lineman has to be the shortest lifespan in terms of playing careers (take a look at the line next time and see how many guys are already wearing braces as frosh/sophs in college) and it's got to be one of the toughest positions to fill. It's why Tiller an Co. used to look for guys who could "put on weight" and grow into the position. I think I've mentioned it before, years ago I sat next to one of the Colts trainers on a flight. He was telling me the average pro career span of an O-lineman is 1.5 years.
Copy that

Coaches recruit geographically.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT