ADVERTISEMENT

Jenkins/TKR

Roeder

Junior
Jun 21, 2007
Great game by both on the road tonight when the team needed steady minutes from each.

Aside from the continued growth of a starting Freshman backcourt, Purdue's untapped potential for reaching their ceiling this year is better bench play. I think that unit still has their best basketball ahead of them this season and tonight was a great start.

Newman was clutch at the end and Mason had his own highlight reel of hustle plays too.

Agree, their contribution tonight was outstanding.
The win for Purdue is not just the bench tonight, but the feel good by teh bench knowing they were crucial in a crucial game and held their own. Those players are not getting as many minutes to work out their bugs in a game and so it may take several games for them to hone in on the few minutes they play...and play with confidence. This was a big win and now Purdue needs to take care of business and have someone knock of Rutgers...

Hopefully TKR's play and MP's trust in him will give him confidence to contribute the rest of the way. We're going to need him somewhere. Edey will get in foul trouble somewhere, probably Bloomington.
And that’s the matchup I’ve been crazy curious about. TKR vs TJD. Both a bit under sized but can play the 4 and 5. Difference is we should use TKR to get the other guy away from the basket at times and let Furst or Gillis victimize Race Thompson.

And that’s the matchup I’ve been crazy curious about. TKR vs TJD. Both a bit under sized but can play the 4 and 5. Difference is we should use TKR to get the other guy away from the basket at times and let Furst or Gillis victimize Race Thompson.
TJD MUCH better athlete than TKR, don't think he has any chance of guarding him.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
TJD MUCH better athlete than TKR, don't think he has any chance of guarding him.
I wouldn't say MUCH....but the dude's what, 23 at this point? Vs. a 19 year old....sure there would just be some advantages. Still think TKR is stronger....AND can hit a jump shot.

Edey had some great things to say about Jenkins’ locker room presence in his post game interview. He described Jenkins as having a joy that spread to the rest of the team. These are the unseen things that matter.

Jenks was really solid last night - given the conference road game situation, I'd say it was maybe his best game so far.....and really crucial spelling Braden Smith in the first half on the bench with two fouls. Very efficient 19 minutes - 2/2 from deep, three boards, and just one turnover - efficient production gets you a lot of mileage with Matt Painter. Purdue will need more games like that from David Jenkins, Jr. somewhere down the line.

Brandon Newman, Trey Kaufman-Renn, and Mason Gillis all had big contributions/production too.....very refreshing to see.

Hopefully TKR's play and MP's trust in him will give him confidence to contribute the rest of the way. We're going to need him somewhere. Edey will get in foul trouble somewhere, probably Bloomington.
My concern is rest for Braden going forward. He typically seems to be second in minutes to Zach? Seems like he plays 35 minutes a game and is all over the place. He is young and not sure these 4 game stretches in 9 days doesn't take a toll becasue he covers more miles than the others in a typical game...AND is crucial to Purdue...unfortunately why he gets so many minutes. Wish it was just under 30 minutes a game at least and maybe mid to high 20s when able

Edey had some great things to say about Jenkins’ locker room presence in his post game interview. He described Jenkins as having a joy that spread to the rest of the team. These are the unseen things that matter.
I think that was seen as I posted such "somewhere". Any time a guy that averages 20 before Purdue and only gets a few minutes and there is no signs of chemistry problems...you know he was a great fit mentally. He came to Purdue thinking they were going to be good and play in teh tourney. I just would love to get 8 points out of him every game and give more rest to Braden who is playing a LOT of minutes. Hopefully last night propels him to more success as a player... Now, I'll have to listen to Zach soon

Reactions: Schnelk
My concern is rest for Braden going forward. He typically seems to be second in minutes to Zach? Seems like he plays 35 minutes a game and is all over the place. He is young and not sure these 4 game stretches in 9 days doesn't take a toll becasue he covers more miles than the others in a typical game...AND is crucial to Purdue...unfortunately why he gets so many minutes. Wish it was just under 30 minutes a game at least and maybe mid to high 20s when able

Well, TJ - from the glass half full guy/silver lining dinosaur guy (yours truly), foul trouble limited him to 24 minutes last night. Loyer 35, Edey 32 as well. I think Painter rested ZE a little more in the first half not wanting that second foul on him - that's also where TKR really helped, IMO......independent of his scoring. Things didn't go sideways in the paint.

That is not true, he's just had the experience. TKR hasn't had much floor time.
@pubill Actually it is true. Purdue has nobody and few teams do have the athlete TJD is. I think Bill stated Trey wasn't the athlete TJD is which is true ,and could have issues, as does many that defend TJD. However, that doesn't mean that TKR can't be effective for a few minutes against TJD or another. I think Trey is ready to go in bloomington in front of many people he knows. I'm sure the conversation will gain strength in the day or so before PUrdue goes down to the Hall of Calls

Reactions: hoosierdog1
Well, TJ - from the glass half full guy/silver lining dinosaur guy (yours truly), foul trouble limited him to 24 minutes last night. Loyer 35, Edey 32 as well. I think Painter rested ZE a little more in the first half not wanting that second foul on him - that's also where TKR really helped, IMO......independent of his scoring. Things didn't go sideways in the paint.
Yes, the last 9 minutes of the first half Braden was on the bench with 2 fouls and so he had roughly 11 minutes by halftime. However, he plays a lot of minutes every game...many times in the 30+ and he covers more court than the other positions combined with being younger. His spot and play closing out games for Purdue provides us all a bit more calmness than if he is not playing...or very tired. Need him at teh end of the 4 game 9 day stretch at teh Hall of Calls and so I hope DAvid gives really solid minutes so Braden is fresh all those games

Yes, the last 9 minutes of the first half Braden was on the bench with 2 fouls and so he had roughly 11 minutes by halftime. However, he plays a lot of minutes every game...many times in the 30+ and he covers more court than the other positions combined with being younger. His spot and play closing out games for Purdue provides us all a bit more calmness than if he is not playing...or very tired. Need him at teh end of the 4 game 9 day stretch at teh Hall of Calls and so I hope DAvid gives really solid minutes so Braden is fresh all those games

No argument here, TJ. Smith's conference games, minutes wise:

@ Michigan (24)
Maryland (31)
@ Minnesota (27)
@ Michigan State (26)
Nebraska (31)
@ Penn State (33)
@ Ohio State (38)
Rutgers (30)
@ Nebraska (33)
Minnesota (27)

There's a lot of different keys/match-ups over the season. Just a hunch that Smith may end up being the biggest for determining how things go in Bloomington. That one shapes up to be an all hands-on-deck and batten down the hatches game even more so than the usual ones. We'll see......two more big ones at home before that one.

Reactions: Schnelk and tjreese

@ Michigan (24)
Maryland (31)
@ Minnesota (27)
@ Michigan State (26)
Nebraska (31)
@ Penn State (33)
@ Ohio State (38)
Rutgers (30)
@ Nebraska (33)
Minnesota (27)

There's a lot of different keys/match-ups over the season. Just a hunch that Smith may end up being the biggest for determining how things go in Bloomington. That one shapes up to be an all hands-on-deck and batten down the hatches game even more so than the usual ones. We'll see......two more big ones at home before that one.
I think his play will be crucial, but think it may be someone on the bench that is the difference maker. I'm still hopeful for Jenkins to have a Sterling Carter game at IU. Fletcher and Braden are just light years ahead of most freshmen in poise and IQ or most freshmen having such a huge role in the Hall of Calls would be very shaky as I expect IU's freshman to struggle a bit at Mackey. Returnees know they let one slip away last year in Bloomington... discussion on that game will be in a few days! ;)

Reactions: hoosierdog1
Jenks does seem like an uplifting type of guy

@ Michigan (24)
Maryland (31)
@ Minnesota (27)
@ Michigan State (26)
Nebraska (31)
@ Penn State (33)
@ Ohio State (38)
Rutgers (30)
@ Nebraska (33)
Minnesota (27)

Braden Smith has to keep up the aggessiveness on the O side

Reactions: Schnelk and tjreese
I’ve said this for decades. I’ll take 5* chemistry more than 5* potential anytime.

Can’t argue the results that shouldn’t be happening this year. Coaches and players will deserve all praise that comes this year.

I wouldn't say MUCH....but the dude's what, 23 at this point? Vs. a 19 year old....sure there would just be some advantages. Still think TKR is stronger....AND can hit a jump shot.
I had to look it up, he'll be 23 in a few weeks. Old man! He's even older than dickenson!

@pubill Actually it is true. Purdue has nobody and few teams do have the athlete TJD is. I think Bill stated Trey wasn't the athlete TJD is which is true ,and could have issues, as does many that defend TJD. However, that doesn't mean that TKR can't be effective for a few minutes against TJD or another. I think Trey is ready to go in bloomington in front of many people he knows. I'm sure the conversation will gain strength in the day or so before PUrdue goes down to the Hall of Calls
"Athlete" I think TKR is a natural athlete, but again I will say TJD has had a lot more experience to show case what he can do. He has played a lot more college ball the TKR. If TJD wasn't putting up better numbers and looking more experienced, I would think there would be a HUGE problem. We will have no way of knowing where TKR will be until he's had his 4 years to prove his case.

Last edited:
I can agree with your concern, but we tout the big ten as being the most rugged and he is living up to the hype of a solid point guard thus far.

On the opposite side of the coin, I’ve seen Purdue rest their starters down the stretch and then see them come out flat in their tournament games.

"Athlete" I think TKR is a natural athlete, but again I will say TJD has had a lot more experience to show case what he can do. He has played a lot more college ball the TKR. If TJD wasn't putting up better numbers and looking more experienced, I would think there would be a HUG problem. We will have no way of knowing where TKR will be until he's had his 4 years to prove his case.
I think you may have a different definition than others concerning "athlete" and that is where the difference lies. When people talk "athlete" it is the "physical" aspect, not the basketball skill. An athlete has nothing to do with dribbling, shooting or any basketball skill. It is about quickness, jumping abilty and the physical side. TJD is more of an athlete than Trey. TJD has his dad's athletic genes who also was not very skillful. It is entirely possible that Trey could be a better ball player than TJD, but there is nothing to suggest he will be the athlete TJD is. Matt has leaned to basketball players over athletes and now Purdue is upgraded in both. Hope that helps...

I can agree with your concern, but we tout the big ten as being the most rugged and he is living up to the hype of a solid point guard thus far.
Most on the forum are aware I knew of Braden's abilities before he came to Purdue and spoke of them quite a lot since. I may be his biggest fan. That said, he puts a lot of miles into each game and so I want him fresh to close games whether ahead or behind.

Jenks does seem like an uplifting type of guy
Some would disagree with that assertion….

93ec55a0-49cb-11eb-bba7-3afb07613752

ADVERTISEMENT