ADVERTISEMENT

Jared Wulbrun: New Walk-On

ZLaner

Gold Member
Dec 25, 2018
Indiana
With Kyle King leaving the program a few weeks ago, we have a new walk-on in Jared Wulbrun.

Comes from DIII program Cal Lutheran who went 7-18 last year in a solid top heavy conference. Wulbrun was the third leading scorer on the team and played in all 25 games while starting 23.

Wulbrun’s father is the associate head coach at Stanford and going back farther, Wulbrun was an assistant at Illinois State from 1993-97 while Painter was an assistant at Eastern Illinois from 1995-98.

So, I am assuming they had a connection due to that, and knowing who’s received walk-on spots in the past, I would assume it was a favor for Wulbrun, which is fine, and a very welcome one.

With Kyle King leaving the program a few weeks ago, we have a new walk-on in Jared Wulbrun.

Comes from DIII program Cal Lutheran who went 7-18 last year in a solid top heavy conference. Wulbrun was the third leading scorer on the team and played in all 25 games while starting 23.

Wulbrun’s father is the associate head coach at Stanford and going back farther, Wulbrun was an assistant at Illinois State from 1993-97 while Painter was an assistant at Eastern Illinois from 1995-98.

So, I am assuming they had a connection due to that, and knowing who’s received walk-on spots in the past, I would assume it was a favor for Wulbrun, which is fine, and a very welcome one.
There are backs that are important to scratch and this is a great one. Boiler Nation has historically loved the walk-ons. And for the Assoc Head Coach at Stanford to "send" his son to play under Painter cannot be minimized.

There are backs that are important to scratch and this is a great one. Boiler Nation has historically loved the walk-ons. And for the Assoc Head Coach at Stanford to "send" his son to play under Painter cannot be minimized.
Don't know how much play there will be, but I will be surprised if he gets more than 18 minutes for the season.

Reactions: Boilermaker24

100% — I totally agree, and hope my post didn't come off as anything but positive.

Was trying to explain how Purdue could have found a "random" Cali kid.

So it seems more that Jared is there more to learn how to coach from Matt than probably be much of a player. Basically a free internship where both parties benefit. Purdue gets a practice player, and he learns how to coach so he can like his dad and grandpa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT