ADVERTISEMENT

Jalan Haralson - Twitter

In all seriousness do twitter likes/fan interactions even matter? I'm not sure they ever did, and now NIL has turned that upsidedown.

Nigel Pack had probably had 7 total from Miami basketball fans before 800K and a new Honda Civic came calling.

It's all for fun though and I hope these kids have families looking for their best long term interests.

In all seriousness do twitter likes/fan interactions even matter? I'm not sure they ever did, and now NIL has turned that upsidedown.

Nigel Pack had probably had 7 total from Miami basketball fans before 800K and a new Honda Civic came calling.

It's all for fun though and I hope these kids have families looking for their best long term interests.
Well as is often the case, the best answer is probably that it depends. We have all seen some NBA all stars responding to tweets with burner accounts (or forgetting to log out of their main account and responding as if on their burner accounts). You just never know what means something to someone and what doesn’t.

Reactions: oldboiler52
Twitter likes? Yep that's how you land them. 🤣

Glad to have him & Sisley visit Purdue though.
Twitter likes, or, $$$...my guess is the latter is way more important in the ultimate decision than the former.

I think it says something as to where both went first...

I will be shocked if Haralson finishes at Fishers...it was beyond fishy how he got there to begin with...they failed (miserably for that matter) with what should have been a team that could (should?) have won a State Championship with him making his way there (which was part of the pitch in getting him there)...there is a ton of Indinia-influence and connections...I don't see any way that he ends up at Purdue, and, that was before NIL...frankly, aside of not being able to ignore a local kid as talented as he is, I am surprised that Painter/Purdue was even involved...with NIL...I don't see them remaining involved (well, they may remain involved I guess, but, I don't see them being a consideration really).

Twitter likes, or, $$$...my guess is the latter is way more important in the ultimate decision than the former.

I will be shocked if Haralson finishes at Fishers...it was beyond fishy how he got there to begin with...they failed (miserably for that matter) with what should have been a team that could (should?) have won a State Championship with him making his way there (which was part of the pitch in getting him there)...there is a ton of Indinia-influence and connections...I don't see any way that he ends up at Purdue, and, that was before NIL...frankly, aside of not being able to ignore a local kid as talented as he is, I am surprised that Painter/Purdue was even involved...with NIL...I don't see them remaining involved (well, they may remain involved I guess, but, I don't see them being a consideration really).
When does Painter stop beating his head against the wall for kids who will just get bought when they are seniors ?

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18
When does Painter stop beating his head against the wall for kids who will just get bought when they are seniors ?
He has to do his due diligence certainly, but, to your point...it is a colossal waste of time, effort, energy and resources in a lot of cases, and, I feel like it is here admittedly.

NIL situation could change in a couple years. We are a year or 2 behind. We’ll see what happens. This looks promising.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
NIL situation could change in a couple years. We are a year or 2 behind. We’ll see what happens. This looks promising.
Don’t know or heard of any of these folks but they seem to have impressive resumes. Strange the staffer is not a Purdue alum, not saying that should be a requirement but just strange.

He has to do his due diligence certainly, but, to your point...it is a colossal waste of time, effort, energy and resources in a lot of cases, and, I feel like it is here admittedly.
I hear and understand your logic. Painter is offering and taking commitments from some of these 4* guys early, Jack Benter types. He also has the luxury have having a few young studs in Furst and Kaufman, so misses won’t be a total disaster. I also feel like Colvin is as rock solid a commitment as one can have these days.

Anyway, a commitment from a high end guard like this would be HUGE. No reason to sit on the sidelines for any guys from Indy. We may get fortunate. We may have an opportunity to get them in the portal down the line as well. It’s worth it IMO.

I hear and understand your logic. Painter is offering and taking commitments from some of these 4* guys early, Jack Benter types. He also has the luxury have having a few young studs in Furst and Kaufman, so misses won’t be a total disaster. I also feel like Colvin is as rock solid a commitment as one can have these days.

Anyway, a commitment from a high end guard like this would be HUGE. No reason to sit on the sidelines for any guys from Indy. We may get fortunate. We may have an opportunity to get them in the portal down the line as well. It’s worth it IMO.
While content with Benter and guys like him...those are guys that fit Purdue...the more typical Purdue recruit if you will. He is not a 4-star...not by a long shot even...solid player and a guy, as I said, that fits Purdue...a guy where NIL is not going to matter (in part why he is going to Purdue). You need guys like him certainly, but, he is not the guy that is getting you to a FF and National Championship certainly...he has to be surrounded by some elite guys even for him to be as successful as he ultimately is capable of being.

Purdue does have a luxury at the moment as you noted with Furst and Kaufman-Renn...blessed for sure to have that luxury right now.

I don't disagree with the idea that a commitment from a talented guy like DGL or Haralson is impactful...but, we saw what happened in the first case, and, I would be shocked if Purdue is genuinely in the mix for Haralson...as I had said, you have to do your due diligence and can't just not recruit him, but, I don't see him as a fit at/for Purdue (simply my opinion), and, he is a guy that already made a sketchy move to Fishers (influenced by AAU and indirectly, Indinia)...may not finish at Fishers (and I will be very surprised if he does)...has very strong ties to Indinia (through the AAU and HS programs)...and, is a genuine elite national-level recruit (the kind of guy that Purdue/Painter has not had success in landing absent some unique circumstance or tie, neither of which exists here). No harm in being involved in the pursuit...I agree...but, I said that I see it as a bigger waste of time, effort and resources than not here, and, that is just how I see it. Gicari Harris is not as talented, but, there is at least a legitimate chance in his case....and, even there, I don't know how legitimate it truly is, but, I think it is much greater than in the case of Haralson.

Ugh. It won’t sway his decision but it doesn’t hurt.
To your point...it is a tie, and, admittedly I was not aware of it (shame on me).

But, it won't sway his decision as you note.

I felt like Purdue's chances with Booker were incredibly small...especially the longer his recruitment went on...I think their chances with Haralson are even smaller.

Is what it is...I think Purdue was largely spinning its wheels with Booker as things continued, and, feel the same here. It will be interesting to see how things play out.

Reactions: TX4GB

I love what Trent Sisley brings to our team. I hope he recognizes quality people and not just hype and NIL money. Really want to see him in gold and back.

Recruiting is fluid but with the transfer market and NIL being what it is fans simply need to roll with it. No recruit will change Painter's program unless he is 7'8 or better. I am not sure where Haralson is on the Purdue priority list. I am hearing that most efforts are with Harris and Catching's with Catching's being an absolute lock. DGL changed HS programs 4 or 5 times in three years and so many AAU programs I couldn't keep up with him. He was a good get but not a program changer and definitely could not be expected to stay (IE) his track record. You can build around A Myles Colvin or a Kanon Catchings both 6'6 ish but a 5'10 guard not likely IMO. I loved the recruiting side of college basketball not so much anymore. I will stake my faith on the program and Painter. Damn few teams can honestly expect to make the tourney and even fewer can expect to make the top 25 every year. Painter brings that to table while running a clean program very few can make that claim. I did see someone claim that all they wanted was A FF in their lifetime. I have seen two 69 and 80. All I ask for is to be competitive year in and year out. You cannot win a championship unless you are in the tournament. I did read where Haralson has been to Purdue more than 50 times for what it's worth. Just my humble opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT