ADVERTISEMENT

Jake Laravia

Gets picked at 19 in the 1st round of the NBA draft. Between him and Desmond Bane Painter hasn't batted too well on the fringe local guys.
He had no respectful offers. Bane had TCU only. I think painter did just fine with a 3 star guard out of south bend. He doesn’t have a crystal ball. I’d feel different if Laravia played at IU and painter didn’t offer, that is a miss. But surely everyone saw the same thing paint did.

He had no respectful offers. Bane had TCU only. I think painter did just fine with a 3 star guard out of south bend. He doesn’t have a crystal ball. I’d feel different if Laravia played at IU and painter didn’t offer, that is a miss. But surely everyone saw the same thing paint did.
Congratulations to LaRavia! He made something more of himself than what people saw in him. The kid worked his butt off to make himself an NBA guy. I think he is a good comp to Robbie Hummel (if he hadn’t gotten hurt). I’ve only seen him play a handful of times, but he doesn’t have any glaring weaknesses. He can score, rebound, and handle the ball. What was most impressive to me was his defensive versatility. I saw him guard a big in the post one possession and a guard the next and was very effective.

Don’t blame Painter too bad on the miss here. Nobody offered him out of HS. Painter didn’t get a bum in his place, so I give him a pass.

Congratulations to LaRavia! He made something more of himself than what people saw in him. The kid worked his butt off to make himself an NBA guy. I think he is a good comp to Robbie Hummel (if he hadn’t gotten hurt). I’ve only seen him play a handful of times, but he doesn’t have any glaring weaknesses. He can score, rebound, and handle the ball. What was most impressive to me was his defensive versatility. I saw him guard a big in the post one possession and a guard the next and was very effective.

Don’t blame Painter too bad on the miss here. Nobody offered him out of HS. Painter didn’t get a bum in his place, so I give him a pass.
It’s stupid we are talking about this when Painter stood with his number five pick last night. The One who missed was Indiana who didn’t even offer Ivey.

And coached him so well he never got past a S16 losing to the powerful St Peter’s
Fair point that we lost in the sweet 16. The criticisms on Painter is that we aren't getting to a final four and we aren't getting/developing NBA players. Both are fair criticisms, but it's also fair to say that he's not totally been bankrupt in tournament success and NBA players.

Does Painter belong in the conversation with Bob Knight? Heck no. He's have to win a title or two. Does Painter belong in the conversation with Keady and Izzo? Izzo still has the title and some FF appearances. I think he belongs in the conversation if he's as good as Keady. But honestly if Painter got lucky and got to a FF he might have a case.

Getting back to recruiting. Sometimes you get fortunate by landing guys like Carsen Edwards or Jaden Ivey who outperform expectations. Sometimes you get bums that really can't play at all. I would say (without calling them out) that Painter has only recruited a few bums in the last 5 years. He has gotten remarkably better about avoiding guys that just can't play.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Fair point that we lost in the sweet 16. The criticisms on Painter is that we aren't getting to a final four and we aren't getting/developing NBA players. Both are fair criticisms, but it's also fair to say that he's not totally been bankrupt in tournament success and NBA players.

Does Painter belong in the conversation with Bob Knight? Heck no. He's have to win a title or two. Does Painter belong in the conversation with Keady and Izzo? Izzo still has the title and some FF appearances. I think he belongs in the conversation if he's as good as Keady. But honestly if Painter got lucky and got to a FF he might have a case.

Getting back to recruiting. Sometimes you get fortunate by landing guys like Carsen Edwards or Jaden Ivey who outperform expectations. Sometimes you get bums that really can't play at all. I would say (without calling them out) that Painter has only recruited a few bums in the last 5 years. He has gotten remarkably better about avoiding guys that just can't play.
Both he and Keady had the talent. Up to this point Keady got us closer with 2 E8’s. Painter is more adaptable to his playing style but it I had to pick which coach I’d want us to have in the last 3:00 minutes of the game it would be Keady

Gets picked at 19 in the 1st round of the NBA draft. Between him and Desmond Bane Painter hasn't batted too well on the fringe local guys.

Painter showed interest in both. Bane chose not to come to an individual workout set up.

Painter showed Lavaria interest, but had no room, since he was a late bloomer and CMP recruits via long term to relationships....and already had that class I think?

Reactions: Schnelk
Both he and Keady had the talent. Up to this point Keady got us closer with 2 E8’s. Painter is more adaptable to his playing style but it I had to pick which coach I’d want us to have in the last 3:00 minutes of the game it would be Keady
I agree with your in game assessment that Keady was probably better. I think Keady was great at being a "grinder" type of coach. Every possession mattered. Low scoring games. The style of play was slow and Purdue had a reputation of not being good offensively. Plenty of cases of where Keady had some good offensive teams, but I think that was the narrative.

I like Painter's adaptation of being more of an offensive coach. I think he is recruiting shooters that can show some athleticism. I am optimistic that we will have better defensive squads, while still being good on offense. Painter still has a lot to prove to be mentioned with some of the coaches I mentioned before.

Reactions: BSIT

Not real interested in going down the rabbit hole here, or, deep into it at least...but, no way he is in the conversation with Izzo, and, while he can be/is with respect to Keady, without bashing or trying to stir anything up, Keady never reached a FF or won a National Championship either, and, he actually did more with less for a long time.

Painter has been essentially bankrupt with respect to tournament success, and, certainly so from the standpoint of impactful NBA players.

None of that means that he is awful or should be fired as so many like to sarcastically suggest...he is a very solid coach, and, has won a ton of games (and will win a bunch more), but, few are measured on anything aside of their ultimate success in the tournament, and, in that Purdue only has Keady generally as a reference point (which is actually fortunate for/to Painter), he probably benefits actually. He had 2, if not 3 teams, that were better than any team that Keady ever had, and, none made it past the S16...that absolutely warrants questioning, if not outright criticism.

He will have a long career at Purdue...rack up a ton of wins...graduate guys...he had a lottery pick in Ivey, just as Keady did with Big Dog...he is a great representative of Purdue and ambassador for Purdue...he is very much like Keady in all of those ways...can/will he ever get to a Final Four, much less win a National Championship? As it stands now....with the transfer portal and NIL...it only has gotten tougher to do so unfortunately.

You can add Blake Wesley to the list too, I assume?

I don't blame Painter though. Bane has been well documented (opting to bet on himself to participate in an AAU tourney instead of coming to Purdue for a workout). LaRavia was a miss, but then we were pretty full at the time he decommitted. We had Ivey and Morton, and the one last scholly was earmarked for {Dickinson, Kalkbrenner, Carlson} (which ended up Edey), so I can't really fault Painter, esp. when we ended up with Furst and TKR at the same position. There is just not enough minutes for {LaRavia, Furst, TKR, Gillis} to share on last year's team.

And I suppose the same thing for Blake Wesley. His recruitment is really weird because not only us but even IU also backed off from him. At the time, we only had two schollies and we used them for Furst and TKR. Could he have oversigned? Probably, but Wesley didn't strike me as someone so good that he's worthwhile to oversign.

Reactions: pboiler18 and DAG10
If you’re going to picky, Painter was one of the first coaches to offer Holgrem an offer and we were in his top 5 for awhile. Painter knows and can spot talent before anybody else does! Rather than blaming Painter for missing out maybe you need to go outside and look around! West Lafayette is not the most exciting place to live. And look at Purdue academics! Purdue doesn’t offer the degrees most gifted athletes want to pursue. When was the last time a lottery pick majored in engineering or pharmacy? Even that player who said he liked computer science chose a school in Oregon over Purdue! Maybe it’s Painter. Maybe it’s his offense! But maybe the real issue is the community and Purdue’s academics. Given a choice I’d pick Madison and UW. If I had the $$$$ I would go to Northwestern. Not every basketball player wants to be an engineer!

I think LaRavia was playing center when we thumped Indiana State his freshman year. I did not see a first rounder during that game. He made a big leap at Wake Forest.

Keady was as bad or worse of a choker as Painter in big games. Keady was horrible in the NCAAT for most of his career. That’s a fact.

Reactions: pboiler18
Both were late bloomers. The fact Painter was sniffing around tells me all I need to know about his eye for talent. If there were several open scholarships those guys probably get offers.

The school this hurts the most is Butler IMO. They have been terrible and Bane and Laravia were there for the taking. Not sure if they offered Pack or not. I wonder if Matta will get back to them recruiting and landing more local guys?

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and DAG10
If you’re going to picky, Painter was one of the first coaches to offer Holgrem an offer and we were in his top 5 for awhile. Painter knows and can spot talent before anybody else does! Rather than blaming Painter for missing out maybe you need to go outside and look around! West Lafayette is not the most exciting place to live. And look at Purdue academics! Purdue doesn’t offer the degrees most gifted athletes want to pursue. When was the last time a lottery pick majored in engineering or pharmacy? Even that player who said he liked computer science chose a school in Oregon over Purdue! Maybe it’s Painter. Maybe it’s his offense! But maybe the real issue is the community and Purdue’s academics. Given a choice I’d pick Madison and UW. If I had the $$$$ I would go to Northwestern. Not every basketball player wants to be an engineer!
Most real basketball players want to play in the NCAAT, which Northwestern has accomplished once in its history. They generally suck at MBB. Great choice.

Wisconsin plays a very slow, plodding style of offense that most good players would not prefer. Wisconsin generally takes players from in-state for a reason. They play a boring, physical brand of basketball.

Both were late bloomers. The fact Painter was sniffing around tells me all I need to know about his eye for talent. If there were several open scholarships those guys probably get offers.

The school this hurts the most is Butler IMO. They have been terrible and Bane and Laravia were there for the taking. Not sure if they offered Pack or not. I wonder if Matta will get back to them recruiting and landing more local guys?
also look at Keegan Murray, coming out of H.S., he only had one D1 offer.

Keady was as bad or worse of a choker as Painter in big games. Keady was horrible in the NCAAT for most of his career. That’s a fact.
Not defending Keady. He was bad in NCAA but how many games did he lose in the last 3 minutes with the lead?

Last edited:
Most real basketball players want to play in the NCAAT, which Northwestern has accomplished once in its history. They generally suck at MBB. Great choice.

Wisconsin plays a very slow, plodding style of offense that most good players would not prefer. Wisconsin generally takes players from in-state for a reason. They play a boring, physical brand of basketball.
I'm just thinking there may be other factors outside of basketball that factor into an athlete's choice. a top 20 basketball player today declared for the G league. it's obvious what his motivation was $$$$ . it will be interesting to watch in the future, does an athlete look for money and join the G league? or do they take the NIL and compete in college. the recent NBA draft gave indications we may see a lot more players choosing to play in the G league verses going to college.

Reactions: BSIT
I would agree. keady was a great regular season coach, but he was terrible at being able to win back to back games in the tourney against top teams without a week to prepare. his teams always seemed to peek a month before the tourney.

Reactions: SDBoiler1

Let’s not forget painter is 51. Beilein was like 60 when he got to the final four his first time. Plenty of seasons in his prime coming up to enhance his resume

I'm just thinking there may be other factors outside of basketball that factor into an athlete's choice. a top 20 basketball player today declared for the G league. it's obvious what his motivation was $$$$ . it will be interesting to watch in the future, does an athlete look for money and join the G league? or do they take the NIL and compete in college. the recent NBA draft gave indications we may see a lot more players choosing to play in the G league verses going to college.
I’d frankly rather see this than having pretend student athletes who leave after 1 or 2 years

Reactions: Wolegib
I think LaRavia was playing center when we thumped Indiana State his freshman year. I did not see a first rounder during that game. He made a big leap at Wake Forest.
He had made the leap before Wake Forest, but, got attention for it because of being at Wake Forest (that he never would have received at Indiana St.). The kid always had talent, and, had a great work ethic as well...I don't know that anyone ever really foresaw "first-round" draft pick, but, that he turned out to be a really good basketball player was not shocking...maybe to the extent that he did, but, he definitely had talent.

He had made the leap before Wake Forest, but, got attention for it because of being at Wake Forest (that he never would have received at Indiana St.). The kid always had talent, and, had a great work ethic as well...I don't know that anyone ever really foresaw "first-round" draft pick, but, that he turned out to be a really good basketball player was not shocking...maybe to the extent that he did, but, he definitely had talent.
The other component is that he is a late bloomer who was also REALLY young for his class. He is 3 years out of high school and doesn’t turn 21 until November. He was 17 when he played his first game at ISU.

Reactions: DAG10
Doesn't Brian Waddell fit the mold of a local under-the-radar type guy? Might be the next Jake Laravia.

You could even make a case for Braden Smith being cut from the same mold (albeit being Indiana Mr. Basketball is hardly "under-the-radar"). Maybe the next Nijel Pack? Not terribly dissimilar IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT