ADVERTISEMENT

Jaden Ivey signs 4yr deal w/ Pistons

Cade Cunningham went #1 to Det last year. He signed a 4yr
deal LY for $45.6 million, all gtd. #1 vs #5. Wonder if they get cost-of-living increases...lol.

This years #1, Paolo Banchero, w/ Magic signed 4yr $50mil.
#2 Holmgren 44.8mil w/ OKC
#3 Jabari Smith 40.3mil w/ Rockets
#4 Keegan Murray 36.3mil w/ Kings

Last edited:
It’s worth it to be the 5th pick rather than the 4th pick. Sacramento sucks. Detroit is closer to home. Detroit seems to have a good nucleus. 33m should be more than enough to take care of himself if he invests properly. Good deal for Jaden!

$33mm guaranteed. But let’s hear about how he should have stayed in school….good lord what are people thinking sometimes. Good for you Jaden!
Who did you hear saying he should have stayed in school?

What’s interesting is that under NIL you can make the case that Carsen and maybe Biggie would have been better off staying in school but Jaden was gone as soon as it became clear that he was a lottery pick.

Reactions: indyogb
It’s worth it to be the 5th pick rather than the 4th pick. Sacramento sucks. Detroit is closer to home. Detroit seems to have a good nucleus. 33m should be more than enough to take care of himself if he invests properly. Good deal for Jaden!
Exactly he’s betting on his next contract.

Reactions: DAG10
$33mm guaranteed. But let’s hear about how he should have stayed in school….good lord what are people thinking sometimes. Good for you Jaden!
If NBA teams are willing to pay that kind of money to players who are fundamentally unsound/still developing, it makes no sense to stay in college.

It's great for Jaden. Anyone who supports Purdue University basketball is happy that he is achieving his dream. But it’s regrettable that certain stages of his development won't be realized in a Purdue uniform.

If NBA teams are willing to pay that kind of money to players who are fundamentally unsound/still developing, it makes no sense to stay in college.

It's great for Jaden. Anyone who supports Purdue University basketball is happy that he is achieving his dream. But it’s regrettable that certain stages of his development won't be realized in a Purdue uniform.

For those of us who have seen a lot of water under the bridge, unfortunately, that's just the way it is now.....I guess you can blame the NBA, the NCAA, and the NBA players' union - they set up the structure and the inevitable events. I don't fault the young men chasing it, but there are also those less talented than Jaden Ivey who lose out.

Good for Jaden Ivey - he's worked hard and has some security now and a wonderful opportunity - wish him the best.

For those of us who have seen a lot of water under the bridge, unfortunately, that's just the way it is now.....I guess you can blame the NBA, the NCAA, and the NBA players' union - they set up the structure and the inevitable events. I don't fault the young men chasing it, but there are also those less talented than Jaden Ivey who lose out.

Good for Jaden Ivey - he's worked hard and has some security now and a wonderful opportunity - wish him the best.
It benefits Purdue that we’ve had a top 5 pick. With Swanigan, Edwards and now Ivey, Painter has had some success putting guys in the pros. Painter being at the draft was nice.

Painter has also been in the sweet 16 a number of times. He makes the tournament almost every year. I wanna see a FF appearance soon, but I like the direction of the program.

It benefits Purdue that we’ve had a top 5 pick. With Swanigan, Edwards and now Ivey, Painter has had some success putting guys in the pros. Painter being at the draft was nice.

Painter has also been in the sweet 16 a number of times. He makes the tournament almost every year. I wanna see a FF appearance soon, but I like the direction of the program.
Where are those players now though? Is Etwaun the only player still in the NBA? Besides Jaden obviously.

Where are those players now though? Is Etwaun the only player still in the NBA? Besides Jaden obviously.
It’s a modest amount of success I suppose. The NBA guys are usually high 4* or 5* guys early on. I would certainly say Ivey is a bit unusual in that he was a lottery pick but was outside the top 50.

It’s a modest amount of success I suppose. The NBA guys are usually high 4* or 5* guys early on. I would certainly say Ivey is a bit unusual in that he was a lottery pick but was outside the top 50.
Looks like Etwaun isn't in the league anymore either. I didn't know that.

Agree.....and definitely was nice to see Matt Painter @ the draft. He has been transitioning his roster and definitely had an up-tick with recruiting for the most part....next three to four years are huge to translate that to a higher level of success - NOTHING is guaranteed, however. But keep knocking on the door or just kick the dang thing in - will this group be able to put the pieces to the puzzle together better, as a team? I do like the potential. We shall see.

Keegan Murray was a 3* and ended up high in the draft. The first 3 guys were really high up there.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Not sure who was saying that besides ultra-selfish people that only want Purdue to be better this year. And in this case I haven't seen that at all.

Not sure who was saying that besides ultra-selfish people that only want Purdue to be better this year. And in this case I haven't seen that at all.
Is it so bad for people to want Purdue to be better this year? I care a heck of a lot more about Purdue's success than any NBA team. Purdue has never really benefited from guys leaving early for the next level, so let's take that off the board...

Sure, the guys that do leave early are cashing in early, and good for them. But, if it's okay for people to say, "The players are just looking out for their best interest, so why not cash in early?" Then, it's why isn't it okay for us fans to say, "I'm looking out for my best interest... which is Purdue's success!"

Is it so bad for people to want Purdue to be better this year? I care a heck of a lot more about Purdue's success than any NBA team. Purdue has never really benefited from guys leaving early for the next level, so let's take that off the board...

Sure, the guys that do leave early are cashing in early, and good for them. But, if it's okay for people to say, "The players are just looking out for their best interest, so why not cash in early?" Then, it's why isn't it okay for us fans to say, "I'm looking out for my best interest... which is Purdue's success!"
Because it's their life, not yours.

Reactions: bonefish1

I read on here often about "liking the direction of the program," but, I don't know what to really make of it.

Does having a top-5 pick REALLY help? It is not as if Purdue was churning them out after Big Dog went as the top pick in the draft...the last lottery pick (30 years ago) before Ivey.

Edwards was the one guy from out-of-state and/or off-the-radar that went...and, not in the first round...and, neither of those guys getting drafted has manifested really in anything because of it.

Making the tournament is barely an accomplishment for any literal successful program...making the Sweet 16 with some regularity is, and, that has happened, but, this year's team underachieved certainly, and, the team that was just destroyed by Kansas did as well.

It is not as if Painter can't help guys get to the next level...he has certainly shown that...he still struggles to land premier talent, especially on a national scale, and, he has not had the ultimate success with some of the elite talent that he has had.

Did you not like the "direction of the program" when E'Twaun, JaJuan and Robbie were there? Or, then with that group of Edwards, Haas, Mathias that overlapped at points with Hammons/Swanigan/Edwards?

There have been a lot of talented guys/good teams for some time...at some point though, you would like to hope that it would lead to a sense of appealing to elite guys nationally, and, to having some sustained success in the tournament as well.

This year's team has talent and had the potential to be really good...yet, could not keep or secure the services of a talented PG unfortunately...thus, wasting a year to an extent, that, could have been a really good one possibly.

Things could (and have been) worse...no doubt about it, but, to think that they could (and even should) not have been better is not right either. And, with NIL and the transfer portal, those chances for Purdue to be great/elite are not near as good as they had been.

Last edited:
Reactions: SKYDOG
I read on here often about "liking the direction of the program," but, I don't know what to really make of it.

Does having a top-5 pick REALLY help? It is not as if Purdue was churning them out after Big Dog went as the top pick in the draft...the last lottery pick (30 years ago) before Ivey.

Edwards was the one guy from out-of-state and/or off-the-radar that went...and, not in the first round...and, neither of those guys getting drafted has manifested really in anything because of it.

Making the tournament is barely an accomplishment for any literal successful program...making the Sweet 16 with some regularity is, and, that has happened, but, this year's team underachieved certainly, and, the team that was just destroyed by Kansas did as well.

It is not as if Painter can't help guys get to the next level...he has certainly shown that...he still struggles to land premier talent, especially on a national scale, and, he has not had the ultimate success with some of the elite talent that he has had.

Did you not like the "direction of the program" when E'Twaun, JaJuan and Robbie were there? Or, then with that group of Edwards, Haas, Mathias that overlapped at points with Hammons/Swanigan/Edwards?

There have been a lot of talented guys/good teams for some time...at some point though, you would like to hope that it would lead to a sense of appealing to elite guys nationally, and, to having some sustained success in the tournament as well.
I am still critical of CMP at times. Obviously, I don't think we are to an elite level as of yet. We've had some nice teams like you've mentioned. I was disappointed that we couldn't get farther in the tournament than we have. I like the offensive punch we had last year (at times) but our defense struggled.

You don't think Ivey going 5th helped the cause? I don't think it hurt us. I think it helps recruiting when you can show tape of Ivey and Edwards getting to AA status. Purdue needs to keep a high level/NBA type of guard on the roster, preferably 2. Purdue has a proven track record with big guys. Recruiting those types of guys hasn't been the problem. Our problem has been keeping a guard that can create on the roster.

I tend to agree with most that guards win in March. To your point, I was disappointed in not getting the elite guard that everyone wanted. I don't think it's a waste in playing Smith and possibly Loyer at the point. I doubt they get us to where we want to go next year. I am very excited about Loyer, Smith, DGL and Colvin to go along with Furst and TKR. (and the rest of the shooters in the program) That is what I'm excited about and what I mean about I like the direction of the program. I think that nucleus could be good.

“Those of us who have seen a lot of water under the bridge”…. Had to smile,Tex. Thank you for your always delicate approach to all of us that continue to provide historic data for all our “ young” Boilermakers

Who did you hear saying he should have stayed in school?

What’s interesting is that under NIL you can make the case that Carsen and maybe Biggie would have been better off staying in school but Jaden was gone as soon as it became clear that he was a lottery pick.
There were multiple idiots who said he'd benefit himself by coming back for another year.

Reactions: Boileratthebeach
I am still critical of CMP at times. Obviously, I don't think we are to an elite level as of yet. We've had some nice teams like you've mentioned. I was disappointed that we couldn't get farther in the tournament than we have. I like the offensive punch we had last year (at times) but our defense struggled.

You don't think Ivey going 5th helped the cause? I don't think it hurt us. I think it helps recruiting when you can show tape of Ivey and Edwards getting to AA status. Purdue needs to keep a high level/NBA type of guard on the roster, preferably 2. Purdue has a proven track record with big guys. Recruiting those types of guys hasn't been the problem. Our problem has been keeping a guard that can create on the roster.

I tend to agree with most that guards win in March. To your point, I was disappointed in not getting the elite guard that everyone wanted. I don't think it's a waste in playing Smith and possibly Loyer at the point. I doubt they get us to where we want to go next year. I am very excited about Loyer, Smith, DGL and Colvin to go along with Furst and TKR. (and the rest of the shooters in the program) That is what I'm excited about and what I mean about I like the direction of the program. I think that nucleus could be good.
Spot on...

Disagree. That Kansas team had way more NBA guys than we did.

There's been few years when PU wasn't 'headed in the right direction'. The problem is, Painter as a tourney coach. He's rightfully earned the title as a Sweet 16 level coach and until he breaks through to the FF, that title will stick.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
There's been few years when PU wasn't 'headed in the right direction'. The problem is, Painter as a tourney coach. He's rightfully earned the title as a Sweet 16 level coach and until he breaks through to the FF, that title will stick.
With DGL and Colvin coming in, the next four to five years seem likely to define MP's legacy. If he can continue to build momentum and hopefully get a breakthrough (FF appearance), he could really get this thing rolling over the last ten years or so of his career.

With DGL and Colvin coming in, the next four to five years seem likely to define MP's legacy. If he can continue to build momentum and hopefully get a breakthrough (FF appearance), he could really get this thing rolling over the last ten years or so of his career.
I agree. In 4 years, by the time Colvin and DGL are both gone, if he hasn't won a NC or gotten to a FF, I wouldn't be surprised to see him hang it up. That'll be 21+ years at one school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT