ADVERTISEMENT

Ivey

I certainly feel silly
I have to hand it to all those who spoke so highly of him going in the top 5… not that I am eating crow because it’s more like I’ve learned a lot about how players develop
There’s quite a few people on here who understand that much better than me and I appreciate that

Yeah, he has ~17 million reasons to move on. Well deserved. I’ll definitely follow his career in DET. I wish they showed more of his big play highlights during his selection though. They didn’t really do him justice.

Reactions: pboiler18
Beast of center they picked up to play with him. Jaden just needs to understand it’s not about him now. I think it will painfully obvious that Painter had a pretty big influence in his development and approach to the game. Wish him luck, but I don’t watch the nba so I will miss watching Jaden play.

Reactions: Schnelk
Yeah, he has ~17 million reasons to move on. Well deserved. I’ll definitely follow his career in DET. I wish they showed more of his big play highlights during his selection though. They didn’t really do him justice.

For old times' sake....will miss his game and energy and what he brought to the team. Wish him the best at the next level on and off the court....his mother, Niele Ivey is and should be proud of her son. And, for the Boilers......it's new opportunities for the team......still building. I also agree in that it was good to see Matt Painter there to share the evening.

62b51b40e184e173568410.gif

Hah, they did show that one. I can think of a few absolute circus shots he made look routine that really show more of his potential ceiling on the court. Glad to see Painter there as well, that will help Boiler basketball moving forward. Let’s continue to be a destination spot for prospective top 5 picks :)

For old times' sake....will miss his game and energy and what he brought to the team. Wish him the best at the next level on and off the court....his mother, Niele Ivey is and should be proud of her son. And, for the Boilers......it's new opportunities for the team......still building. I also agree in that it was good to see Matt Painter there to share the evening.

I love that highlight....one of my favorites with respect to Jaden at Purdue.

He has a good head on his shoulders, and, some great people around him as well...most important, like so many elite/great players, he has that passion and drive to excel. As a Purdue fan, I feel shortchanged in that we never got to see the finished product...or even a more finished one, but, he was good for Purdue (and will help with recruiting I think as such), and, I know that Purdue was good for him as well.

I am not sure how anybody could not appreciate the genuine joy that he showed when his name was called, or, be happy for him in light of it...I wish him the best in Detroit and the NBA, and, look forward to following his career.

I certainly feel silly
I have to hand it to all those who spoke so highly of him going in the top 5… not that I am eating crow because it’s more like I’ve learned a lot about how players develop
There’s quite a few people on here who understand that much better than me and I appreciate that

And it's not that the criticisms of him aren't legitimate, they are just things that he has already shown improvement on. And they are things that he will get better at (hopefully) in the NBA on a steeper curve.

And it's not that the criticisms of him aren't legitimate, they are just things that he has already shown improvement on. And they are things that he will get better at (hopefully) in the NBA on a steeper curve.
I just think we have a lot of Purdue basketball fans who don’t follow the NBA or the NBA draft all that closely, and don’t understand what NBA teams are looking for. NBA execs aren’t looking for the best college players or finished products, they are looking for the kids with the most upside.

I think multiple teams will regret passing on Jaden.

I just think we have a lot of Purdue basketball fans who don’t follow the NBA or the NBA draft all that closely, and don’t understand what NBA teams are looking for. NBA execs aren’t looking for the best college players or finished products, they are looking for the kids with the most upside.

I think multiple teams will regret passing on Jaden.
When you consider that Purdue has not had a lottery prospect since Big Dog forever ago, it is indeed true that Purdue fans don't have reason to follow closely...and, Big Dog was such a no-brainer/the situation was different.

I mean, Sharpe from UK was drafted because of how good he was apparently in practice (somewhere, Allen Iverson has to be horrified).

Look at Branham (who I have been a huge fan of and proponent for for a long time)....

Ivey was arguably the most athletic guy in the draft with some incredible measurables...frankly, I had a hard time understanding how the top 3 guys were locked in as the top 3 guys...as if there was just some dramatic deficiency in Ivey's game relative to those guys...never mind that Banchero did not deliver much of the year, or, that Holmgren is as frail as anyone, and, as such, should have questions as to how/if his game will translate.

Sacramento has a LONG history of draft mistakes, and, even with the guy that went next having great success, so, that bodes well for Jaden.

To think of where Ivey was when he committed to Purdue, to, see where he is, and, to see the improvements that he has made in that time...knowing his work ethic...his passion...and, seeing the raw skills and natural athleticism that he has to work with, the ceiling is tremendous...I hope that he reaches it...for him, and, for Purdue.

When you consider that Purdue has not had a lottery prospect since Big Dog forever ago, it is indeed true that Purdue fans don't have reason to follow closely...and, Big Dog was such a no-brainer/the situation was different.

I mean, Sharpe from UK was drafted because of how good he was apparently in practice (somewhere, Allen Iverson has to be horrified).

Look at Branham (who I have been a huge fan of and proponent for for a long time)....

Ivey was arguably the most athletic guy in the draft with some incredible measurables...frankly, I had a hard time understanding how the top 3 guys were locked in as the top 3 guys...as if there was just some dramatic deficiency in Ivey's game relative to those guys...never mind that Banchero did not deliver much of the year, or, that Holmgren is as frail as anyone, and, as such, should have questions as to how/if his game will translate.

Sacramento has a LONG history of draft mistakes, and, even with the guy that went next having great success, so, that bodes well for Jaden.

To think of where Ivey was when he committed to Purdue, to, see where he is, and, to see the improvements that he has made in that time...knowing his work ethic...his passion...and, seeing the raw skills and natural athleticism that he has to work with, the ceiling is tremendous...I hope that he reaches it...for him, and, for Purdue.
The top 3 best fit the needs of those teams. Holmgren is a freak athlete. He looks strange but he’s athletic and can shoot. Oh and he is 7 feet. If those teams needed a guard then Ivey easily would’ve went in the top 3. He wanted Detroit and got it. Congratulations to him and you guys. Going to be fun to watch.

I’ll put it this way: If there’s anyone in this draft who COULD end up being the best player on an NBA Finals winner, I think it’s Jaden.

I think Banchero is better right now, but he is closer to his ceiling IMO.

Wow, Spurs did well with their first round picks - Sochan, Branham, and Wesley.

Reactions: pboiler18 and DAG10

Banchero did not deliver much of the year. Based on what stat(s)? He had 15 games where points scored were less than season average. So around 25 games at or above season avg. Had something like 6-8 straight games to lead Duke in scoring. Ivey had 14 games where he scored less than season average. Basically same for both.

Holgrem frail. Based on what? No injuries. Is he going to push Embiid around? No. He will be best at small forward, wing and use quickness, ball handling to beat many PF’s.

Ivey needs a mid-range game. Absolute worst jump shot off the dribble. Not a polished ball handler. He has a bad habit of bringing the ball down to his waist when going to rim. And falling on his ass when he jumps.

Banchero did not deliver much of the year. Based on what stat(s)? He had 15 games where points scored were less than season average. So around 25 games at or above season avg. Had something like 6-8 straight games to lead Duke in scoring. Ivey had 14 games where he scored less than season average. Basically same for both.

Holgrem frail. Based on what? No injuries. Is he going to push Embiid around? No. He will be best at small forward, wing and use quickness, ball handling to beat many PF’s.

Ivey needs a mid-range game. Absolute worst jump shot off the dribble. Not a polished ball handler. He has a bad habit of bringing the ball down to his waist when going to rim. And falling on his ass when he jumps.
With how the game is played today the top 3 are exactly what teams want.

ESPN really went all out on the top 3. It was a little disgusting. The entire intro to the draft broadcast only included those 3. Most of the cutaways too. I did catch the red carpet interview of Ivey earlier in the day with Richard Jefferson and two females I didn't know. It was frankly pretty dumb, with Jefferson deciding he was old because he played in college the same time as Jaden's mom.

Reactions: DAG10
Umm.....if I score 16 points in 10 games, and 14 points in the other 10 games, my average is 15ppg but I scored under my average 10 times.

Or are you making a point that I'm not following.

Sounds like a complaint I heard a long time ago that all NBA teams were average because if you add up the wins and losses it comes out to .500.

ESPN really went all out on the top 3. It was a little disgusting. The entire intro to the draft broadcast only included those 3. Most of the cutaways too. I did catch the red carpet interview of Ivey earlier in the day with Richard Jefferson and two females I didn't know. It was frankly pretty dumb, with Jefferson deciding he was old because he played in college the same time as Jaden's mom.
CBS sports HQ was way better than ESPN.

Beast of center they picked up to play with him. Jaden just needs to understand it’s not about him now. I think it will painfully obvious that Painter had a pretty big influence in his development and approach to the game. Wish him luck, but I don’t watch the nba so I will miss watching Jaden play.
same here

this by far is my favorite highlight of Ivey. Everyone mentions about his Mom(and rigthfully so) but was his Dad there last night?

ADVERTISEMENT