ADVERTISEMENT

Ivey a 2022 lottery pick?

Neubert talked about it at one point.
That must have been what the Ann Arbor rag was referring to when he committed to UM and they reported that Painter wouldn't let Nojel play his game... but things would be different in Ann Arbor.

That did not age well.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I guess you guys put a lot more stock in what Brian Neubert reports than I do.

That must have been what the Ann Arbor rag was referring to when he committed to UM and they reported that Painter wouldn't let Nojel play his game... but things would be different in Ann Arbor.

That did not age well.
Nojel's high school game did not transfer well to college ball. He wanted to handle the ball and drive to the basket, which worked in high school for him. It would just result in a turnover in BIG basketball, and Painter knew it. Jelly was just not quick enough to be a consistent driver. The only way Nojel's game would have been successful was for him to follow what Painter said, and get additional skills, like a pull up jumper. Hell, he was athletic enough to put that together but never did.

He did play good defense, and he did rebound well. He was on some pretty good teams too.

My guess is that he was getting very bad advice about playing "his game", and that some how coach Painter was holding him back. I'm sure those words came out of his mouth at some point. After all, it's never HIS fault he couldn't play better, right? So sad.

Oladipo was a 3 year player and zelker was a 2 year. Both top 5 picks. Ivey has the potential to be as good as either.

Its not impossible, obviously i am rooting for the kid, but you are choosing the exceptions to the rule over 10 years of NBA drafts. Ja was a 2nd year player too, just not common.

Also the type of leap Ivey needs to make to make it into the top 5 or 7 would be huge. I said last year he was a NBA talent and future 1st rounder, but now to say top 5 or 7? Probably not, but ofcourse anything is possible.

Reactions: Russ Ford
Treed for sure and a few on this board that agreed with her.

I think those agreeing where just being polite. No one wants to rain on a players or their mom's parade. I mean Ben Simmons is in the NBA as a guard with no jumper, but he is a better ball handler, much better passer and 6'11 and elite defender. Nojel is tall for a PG, but not tall enough to overcome the average handles and completely broken jumper.

You're a little sensitive aren't you? Neubert your big brother or something?

lol no. I don’t particularly like the guy - I was just stating the obvious. If you don’t put any stock in what he says- there are plenty of other places where you can discuss Purdue sports instead of the one he runs. His information is better than most.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
Well I guess we disagree then. I think his info is rarely accurate. I don't think he's near the insider he wants you to believe. This is one of the few free Purdue sports message boards that actually gets some traffic so I check it out. I also check out the headlines link page while I'm here. But I can't ever imagine paying for something here that you can get for free elsewhere.

• Love
Reactions: meenie
Its not impossible, obviously i am rooting for the kid, but you are choosing the exceptions to the rule over 10 years of NBA drafts. Ja was a 2nd year player too, just not common.

Also the type of leap Ivey needs to make to make it into the top 5 or 7 would be huge. I said last year he was a NBA talent and future 1st rounder, but now to say top 5 or 7? Probably not, but ofcourse anything is possible.
I think you could see the type of player he was in the very first game he played. Actually in the first five minutes you could see the talent. Lots of expectations for him..and I think he will back them up.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Well I guess we disagree then. I think his info is rarely accurate. I don't think he's near the insider he wants you to believe. This is one of the few free Purdue sports message boards that actually gets some traffic so I check it out. I also check out the headlines link page while I'm here. But I can't ever imagine paying for something here that you can get for free elsewhere.
Brian provides good info on KHC. To say he is rarely accurate you clearly don’t read his paywall stuff and is completely false. He has been wrong but is cautious about reporting anything unless he is confident and when he is wrong it usually is about a recruit having a change of heart. Having said that, he doesn’t have much inside info, Brohm and Painter hold their cards close to their vest and I don’t think they particularly like him.

Brian provides good info on KHC. To say he is rarely accurate you clearly don’t read his paywall stuff and is completely false. He has been wrong but is cautious about reporting anything unless he is confident and when he is wrong it usually is about a recruit having a change of heart. Having said that, he doesn’t have much inside info, Brohm and Painter hold their cards close to their vest and I don’t think they particularly like him.

If true, I think I can understand a big part of why that's so, and that's a very bad thing when it is a primary part of your professional responsibility to develop relationships with head coaches of the two primary (flagship?) sports.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Where does he get info from, if not from the coaches? Like with TKR for example?

If true, I think I can understand a big part of why that's so, and that's a very bad thing when it is a primary part of your professional responsibility to develop relationships with head coaches of the two primary (flagship?) sports.
Tom handles football primarily. I don’t know what the beef was but you can read it in the body language from painter. And carsen reportedly had issue. It may just be association with these boards. Painter made comments and so did sasha when Wheeler left that seemed to show frustration towards the message boards and negativity here. Lots of people attacking good kids.

All coaches are annoyed with reporters. I probably would be too but you can’t make millions of dollars in any job and not answer any questions. What Brian and others do also increase awareness, enthusiasm and a willing to donate. It works both ways too but if you want big bucks and to get paid, people are gonna wonder what’s going on. It’s one if of those things where you say “what did you think was gonna happen?”

Reactions: atmafola
All coaches are annoyed with reporters. I probably would be too but you can’t make millions of dollars in any job and not answer any questions. What Brian and others do also increase awareness, enthusiasm and a willing to donate. It works both ways too but if you want big bucks and to get paid, people are gonna wonder what’s going on. It’s one if of those things where you say “what did you think was gonna happen?”
"...not answer any questions."

It's really more of an issue that people don't like the way the questions are answered, as well as coaches enduring some of the most gawd-awful questions imaginable.

Reporters aren't entitled to all the answers. The coaches need to do what's necessary to win games. Reporters aren't entitled to know whether or not a specific player is going to play in a particular game.

I cringe at some of the most empty-headed, vacuous questions coming from alleged "professionals". Listen to some of the post-game interviews of both coaches and players. Some questions are really bad.

i don’t feel like all reporters are treated the same by painter. Painter is actually pretty transparent except for injuries. He opens up a lot on the Dan Dakich show.

Just spitballin here, but will Matt treat another former professional coach who is on a radio show free to the listening public with listeners who enjoy listening about Purdue sports different than someone with no basketball bone in his body who sells the information and interview behind a paywall to a base who openly criticizes him and his players?

I'll never understand all the Nojel Eastern negativity on this board. He went to Purdue for 3 years and he always played hard. He then decided to transfer. So what? It was his right to do so. Wish him the best in his life and move on.
Sometimes how we carry out our decisions is as important as what that decision is, Russ. When Nojel left with no warning to Painter that he was even considering leaving it left a sour taste in many Boilermakers’ mouths... Starting with Painter.

i don’t feel like all reporters are treated the same by painter. Painter is actually pretty transparent except for injuries. He opens up a lot on the Dan Dakich show.

Just spitballin here, but will Matt treat another former professional coach who is on a radio show free to the listening public with listeners who enjoy listening about Purdue sports different than someone with no basketball bone in his body who sells the information and interview behind a paywall to a base who openly criticizes him and his players?
When Query and Shultz was on 1260, Painter was also really open and did good interviews with them and those two didn't play or coach. So not just basketball experience thing.

When Query and Shultz was on 1260, Painter was also really open and did good interviews with them and those two didn't play or coach. So not just basketball experience thing.
Agree. I think it involves a lot. Do they have SOME relationship? Paint has been on their show a ton. Do they ask good and knowledgeable questions? Are they "Purdue friendly"? Are they local and know about HS and CBB in the area? You're not going to go into detail with answers when guys don't ask you detailed questions.

A lot more than just being a former player.

I listened to Query & Schultz all the time till they were split up. Went there because there was something Knight-esk about DD that I didn't feel good about. These two are both IU guys, but were very respectful to Painter because Purdue was on that station. Query asked the more intelligent questions showing that he actually studied it a little, but he also would throw in the dumb question because he couldn't help it. Coach Painter was the same to those guys as he was with DD, Blackmon and all the others. So Coach Painter was the one that was consistent no matter who he talked with and the questions they asked. DD tried several times to lead us into a relationship between the two. Even that part about their sons being friends. But that just sounded a little pushed on DD's part. So I don't believe Coach Painter has a relationship other than professional with any of them except maybe Blackmon. And that might build because Clisby is gone. Just my feelings on the topic. Don't take it personal if you disagree.

Last edited:
Just going to leave this here.

2021 Tampa Bay Pro Combine Recap: The stats
tbpc_totals.png

• Wow
Reactions: BigTimeAt69
Some stats that stood out to me: 2nd fewest minutes played of all players listed, 0-2 on free throws, 1 assist and 5 turnovers. He was also the only player listed to not score a single point.

Can't find any write ups outside of who stood out. Seems he only played half the games, so wonder if he got hurt or just pulled out half way through.

Looked it up because I was curious how he did. Doesn't look like it went well though, which is to bad. Not sure this helps him in getting a shot playing professionally anywhere.

Maybe he should switch shooting hand a la Ben Simmons
At this point I think he’d be better off just switching sports completely(or going back to college and getting a degree). Might be a better football player than basketball. There’s no future for him in basketball unless he wants to move overseas and play for some obscure league that doesn’t pay well.

He wanted to handle the ball and drive to the basket, which worked in high school for him. It would just result in a turnover in BIG basketball, and Painter knew it.
correct. he wasn't that great of a ball handler either.
"not enough quickness " + "not enough handles" = "Excess turnovers at college level"

They say Ben Simmons should switch hands, Tristan Thompson actually did switch hands.

For the record, Tristan cant shoot, yet he shoots better with either hand than Nojel currently shoots. Sad, lots of effort, perfect NBA body....cant shoot.
i think there's something about not have a clear dominant handedness that makes shooting harder. For most of us, we use the same doninant hand for directed throws and precision movements like writing. Folks like Lebron have different hands for both, he uses left for writing, right for throwing, and he can comfortably finish with both.

i think there's something about not have a clear dominant handedness that makes shooting harder. For most of us, we use the same doninant hand for directed throws and precision movements like writing. Folks like Lebron have different hands for both, he uses left for writing, right for throwing, and he can comfortably finish with both.

I usually use my right hand to finish, unless my left hand falls asleep and I am in the mood for "the stranger"

• Haha
Reactions: Schnelk
ADVERTISEMENT