ADVERTISEMENT

IU to Win BIG Tilte

mathboy

All-American
Feb 4, 2004
Michigan
Since I am an IU fan, second to Purdue, I do visit their board. In general there is pretty good basketball discussions on there but are very homer oriented, much like ours. Yes, there are a few more idiots that over here, but tolerable. The thread that caught my attention is one predicting a BIG title. According to the fans, IU is the most experienced team in the BIG. I've not fact checked that but I suspect there is some truth in it. Of course, the experienced players could hardly get by the play-in game for the NCAA.

Let's not go down the rabid hate-IU path here. Instead, let's have a rational and reasonable discussion. Evidently some of Michigan's key palyers are staying in the draft. How does Illinios look this year? How about the ever dangerous MSU? I've lost track of who is coming and going because of the COVID nonsense. How does IU look this year with TJD and Race coming back?

In terms of experience, you might want to check out these BIG stats by Bart Torvik. The table at this link shows "returning minutes percentage" and "returning possession minutes".

https://barttorvik.com/?conlimit=B10&state=All&year=2022&sort=

Indiana is top of the BIG in both those metrics, and 3rd in the "talent" metric, behind UM and Illinois. Talent is calculated based off recruit ratings I believe. IU, UM and Illinois are 3 of the top 6 nationally in the "talent" score.

However UM and Illinois have much lower returning percentages than IU does, leading many predictive systems to project Indiana at the top of the BIG. Whether that talent and experience translates into wins is yet to be proven.

Last edited:
I don’t see why Ohio State isn’t getting more love.

They’re one of many B1G teams that are getting lots of transfers, but they have some really good ones.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Since I am an IU fan, second to Purdue, I do visit their board. In general there is pretty good basketball discussions on there but are very homer oriented, much like ours. Yes, there are a few more idiots that over here, but tolerable. The thread that caught my attention is one predicting a BIG title. According to the fans, IU is the most experienced team in the BIG. I've not fact checked that but I suspect there is some truth in it. Of course, the experienced players could hardly get by the play-in game for the NCAA.

Let's not go down the rabid hate-IU path here. Instead, let's have a rational and reasonable discussion. Evidently some of Michigan's key palyers are staying in the draft. How does Illinios look this year? How about the ever dangerous MSU? I've lost track of who is coming and going because of the COVID nonsense. How does IU look this year with TJD and Race coming back?
I hate to agree with you but..I agree.(about the homer/crazy stuff and the take)I’d say all three mentioned are top 3. If not then something would be drastically wrong. Illinois is wait and see. Michigan will be good but we saw how they played most of the season. I’m kind of optimistic but guarded about being #1. I’d say whomever is #1 defensively will win the B1G.

I don’t see why Ohio State isn’t getting more love.

They’re one of many B1G teams that are getting lots of transfers, but they have some really good ones.
Loosing Branham to the draft is a big deal. Kid was gunna be 20ppg for them no problem next year. Losing Liddell hurts big time too.

They seem to have a ton of talent and will still be a tourney team but no matter how talented young guys are they will h e limitations and need time to adjust.

Loosing Branham to the draft is a big deal. Kid was gunna be 20ppg for them no problem next year. Losing Liddell hurts big time too.

They seem to have a ton of talent and will still be a tourney team but no matter how talented young guys are they will h e limitations and need time to adjust.
I’m a Sueing fan. Getting him back is a big deal. Add Thornton the freshman to some really good transfers

Big Ten is gonna be down this season. The league lost a crap ton of talent and for once, lost some NBA lottery pick talent in Ivey, Murray, Davis and Branham.

As for IU, they *should* be top 3. Obviously a lot of that will deal with scheduling as not every schedule is built equally of course. TJD is going to do what TJD does. Dunk on people. Whether or not he gains any confidence to shoot a jumper will have to be proven. Johnson will have a lot to prove as well. Maybe one of the 10 best point guards to return to come for next season. Biggest thing for Indiana will indeed be guard play. Johnson played pretty well and that ugly jumper was going in from 3. Hood-Schifino and Bates can make a big difference. Hood-Schifino can play the 1-3 in college which is helpful. Bates needs to make a big jump on the defensive end and gain the confidence to be a scorer off the bench. Difference this season will probably be made by the freshmen as well. The only two 5* recruits to enter the B1G next season. Same questions as last year, almost the same team. Though I think improvements were made replacing Phinisee, Stewart, Lander, Durr with Hood-Schifino, Reneau, Banks, Gunn.

major-league-theyre-still-shitty.gif

I knew you were a trader...You can't be Purdue fan if you are a dumb IU fan. IU and Nebraska should join the Big 12 because both schools are for dummies...

The cumulative conference records for IUs returning players is 170 - 278. (Kopp and Johnson's prior seasons included).

There is experience and talent, but the big question is do these guys know how to win? The scary thing for an IU fan is that this year they will not sneak up on anyone with a top 20 ranking either. How will they do when they get everyone's best shot night in and night out?

The B1G will be down, so I think it's fair to put them at the top with Michigan with what they have coming back. ILL could make things interesting if those transfers gel.

Experience helps, but that does not always equate to higher winning, especially the BT Title. If that was the case, we should have won the BT title and tournament last year. Don't remember that happening.

They should be concentrating more on the orders coming through the drive thru right now and worry about the other later.

Reactions: pboiler18
The cumulative conference records for IUs returning players is 170 - 278. (Kopp and Johnson's prior seasons included).

There is experience and talent, but the big question is do these guys know how to win? The scary thing for an IU fan is that this year they will not sneak up on anyone with a top 20 ranking either. How will they do when they get everyone's best shot night in and night out?

The B1G will be down, so I think it's fair to put them at the top with Michigan with what they have coming back. ILL could make things interesting if those transfers gel.
Michigan doesn’t have that much coming back.

Dickinson, Buffkin, Terrence Williams.

Experience helps, but that does not always equate to higher winning, especially the BT Title. If that was the case, we should have won the BT title and tournament last year. Don't remember that happening.

They should be concentrating more on the orders coming through the drive thru right now and worry about the other later.
Weren't Wisconsin and Illinois the 2 most experienced teams last year with all of their 5th year Seniors? I could be totally off on that, but I thought I remembered that being the case.

IU isn't winning the conference. They have 1 guard who is any good and still no shooting. Sure XJ played well towards the end of the year... what was their record after January? TJD will be extra unmotivated after realizing he isn't good enough for the NBA.

I think the B1G won't be all that good next year, but IU isn't winning it.

I attended both iu & Purdue.....but still not an iu fan. And its been a great last 5 years. Let's keep that going. Boiler up.

The season I would like to see is Purdue likely predicted as a mid teir B10 team overachieving & winning the B10, and as for iu I sure don't care.

True, there is probably some recency bias there. I do think Llwelyn will be solid at PG and they have a nice recruiting class. I really wanted Purdue to get Tarris Reed.
Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio State all will be portal/freshman heavy teams next year.

It seems to me that Ohio State has the most returning of the three.. All three have a solid or better freshman class coming in - at least two top 75 composite players for all three schools.

Given that Illinois arguably has the least returning (Hawkins, Melendez, Goode) and the lowest ranked freshman class of the three schools, I am curious why they seem to get so much love. I guess people like Underwood more than Holtmann.

Personally, I think Iowa and Michigan State have better rosters than any of the three transfer-heavy schools. And IU (of course :) )

Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio State all will be portal/freshman heavy teams next year.

It seems to me that Ohio State has the most returning of the three.. All three have a solid or better freshman class coming in - at least two top 75 composite players for all three schools.

Given that Illinois arguably has the least returning (Hawkins, Melendez, Goode) and the lowest ranked freshman class of the three schools, I am curious why they seem to get so much love. I guess people like Underwood more than Holtmann.

Personally, I think Iowa and Michigan State have better rosters than any of the three transfer-heavy schools. And IU (of course :) )

IU and MSU always have 2 of the 4 or so most talented teams. Hasn't helped them much lately, especially IU.

I think most of Illinois’ “love” (subjective … IU is getting practically all the media love, and for some weird reason Michigan, who I don’t even think will be top 3…) is because of our transfer class - a class that’s honestly pretty hard to beat. You say Illinois’ freshman class is the worst of the three, but that’s practically semantics … it’s still top 10 in the country. Illinois is like most Big Ten teams, a bit of a mystery. Talent is there, but they haven’t all played together.

I’ve thought the Big Ten is wide open this year for a while now, and nothing I’ve seen lately changes that opinion.

I think most of Illinois’ “love” (subjective … IU is getting practically all the media love, and for some weird reason Michigan, who I don’t even think will be top 3…) is because of our transfer class - a class that’s honestly pretty hard to beat. You say Illinois’ freshman class is the worst of the three, but that’s practically semantics … it’s still top 10 in the country. Illinois is like most Big Ten teams, a bit of a mystery. Talent is there, but they haven’t all played together.

I’ve thought the Big Ten is wide open this year for a while now, and nothing I’ve seen lately changes that opinion.
Yep, nobody looks dominant this year.

Agreed about Michigan and agree - the 'love' for Illinois is because of your transfer class, but that's where I think there's a mis-rating.

Last year, Mayer in his first year of extended minutes and first year as a starter at Baylor was a 32% three point shooter, and took almost half of his shots from three. Not much of a rebounder for a big, not much of a defender. My opinion maybe, but I think it may be the mullet and Baylor's national attention that turned Mayer into a big time 'get'. Dainja was the 91st ranked recruit nationally and has not played college ball yet due to injuries. Shannon is an excellent defender and a winning player. Add them to three role players from last year's Illini team.

Ohio State brings back two key pieces - Sueing and Key (and additionally brings back two role players) and adds Likekele, a four year Big 12 starter, McNeil, a two year Big 12 starter and a really good shooter, and Holden, who averaged over 20ppg and 7rpg at Wright State. That's a better core of returnees and in my opinion a better portal group.

What am I missing?

Reactions: Roeder
Decent discussion on this thread! I will throw in, “It takes time to blend in transfers and Freshmen“.even some 5 Stars cannot make the adjustment and unless the Officials call a different game this season the B1G is still a physical conference and some incoming players will not handle that!

Last edited:
Reactions: HoosierfanJM
A few things of note before IU is given the B1G Trophy:

1. their recent 5-stars have not turned out to be what was expected, e.g. Lander and Jackson-Davis;
2. IU's defense improved because they were allowed by B1G refs to be very physical. However, the physicality of the B1G has been cited as a large reason for the B1G teams not progressing well in the Tournament because the game is refereed very differently there and the accepted Conference physicality is not allowed. As a result, I expect next year to see a Conference tightening of what is allowed with negative consequences to IU's defense;
3. It remains to be seen that IU can get consistent outside shooting. It was sporadic last season and the loss of a number of the 3-pt shooters does not solve that problem. The new people may but that is unclear;
4. Season after season, IU is ranked before the games start and then underperforms. Is this simply another example.

Reactions: Schnelk
A few things of note before IU is given the B1G Trophy:

1. their recent 5-stars have not turned out to be what was expected, e.g. Lander and Jackson-Davis;
2. IU's defense improved because they were allowed by B1G refs to be very physical. However, the physicality of the B1G has been cited as a large reason for the B1G teams not progressing well in the Tournament because the game is refereed very differently there and the accepted Conference physicality is not allowed. As a result, I expect next year to see a Conference tightening of what is allowed with negative consequences to IU's defense;
3. It remains to be seen that IU can get consistent outside shooting. It was sporadic last season and the loss of a number of the 3-pt shooters does not solve that problem. The new people may but that is unclear;
4. Season after season, IU is ranked before the games start and then underperforms. Is this simply another example.
1. TJD has been all-conference all 3 years. He averages 17/8 and was named to the conference all-defensive team. He was a 4 star, regardless. Every other 5 star was all-conference (Langford, Bryant, JBJ, Vonleh, Ferrell, and Zeller.) Only JBJ is not in the NBA right now. His knee injuries basically reduced him to one skill: shooting. Everything else was, uh, not good.
2. Indiana's D improved because they got a new coach, new system, and better depth of players all-around.
3. No argument, until they do it, this is the question mark.
4. This is the first season Indiana will be pre-season top 25 since Romeo Langford.

1. TJD has been all-conference all 3 years. He averages 17/8 and was named to the conference all-defensive team. He was a 4 star, regardless. Every other 5 star was all-conference (Langford, Bryant, JBJ, Vonleh, Ferrell, and Zeller.) Only JBJ is not in the NBA right now. His knee injuries basically reduced him to one skill: shooting. Everything else was, uh, not good.
2. Indiana's D improved because they got a new coach, new system, and better depth of players all-around.
3. No argument, until they do it, this is the question mark.
4. This is the first season Indiana will be pre-season top 25 since Romeo Langford.
You are incorrect. Most of the 5-stars cited are not in the NBA.

According to Peegs, TJD was a 5-star.

An entering 5-star who is not a serious draft candidate after 3 years in a program absent injury should be considered a bit of a disappointment these days. I am confident that if asked off the record, TJD would admit to expecting to having been a serious draft candidate by now. Absent the reported NIL figure, he would likely be packing bags and looking for European flights.

Langford is in the NBA but has been nowhere near what a lottery pick is expected to do. The Celtics traded him and another to get a player averaging 11 ppg.

Vonleh is now in China after averaging a career 4.9 ppg in the NBA.

Ferrell was not drafted, did play in the NBA for really 3 1/2 years. I am not counting seasons under a dozen games. He is in Europe.

Bryant was waived by the Lakers after a season. He has played for Washington, but only 37 games in the last two seasons. Technically, he is still on their roster.

I stand by my statement that the 5-stars have not performed as expected.

By ranked, I was referring to expectations for the B1G.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schnelk
Agreed about Michigan and agree - the 'love' for Illinois is because of your transfer class, but that's where I think there's a mis-rating.

Last year, Mayer in his first year of extended minutes and first year as a starter at Baylor was a 32% three point shooter, and took almost half of his shots from three. Not much of a rebounder for a big, not much of a defender. My opinion maybe, but I think it may be the mullet and Baylor's national attention that turned Mayer into a big time 'get'. Dainja was the 91st ranked recruit nationally and has not played college ball yet due to injuries. Shannon is an excellent defender and a winning player. Add them to three role players from last year's Illini team.

Ohio State brings back two key pieces - Sueing and Key (and additionally brings back two role players) and adds Likekele, a four year Big 12 starter, McNeil, a two year Big 12 starter and a really good shooter, and Holden, who averaged over 20ppg and 7rpg at Wright State. That's a better core of returnees and in my opinion a better portal group.

What am I missing?

The more I look at these rosters I think you are right about OSU being better than ILL or Michigan. I also really like Bruce Thornton who Purdue recruited. I think I was overlooking MSU some too based on how they have underwhelmed recently, but they have a nice core returning when compared to other rosters.

IU
OSU
MSU

MI
IL
Purdue

Rutgers
Penn St
Wisconsin
Maryland
Northwestern
Iowa

Minnesota
Nebraska

What am I missing?
I mean, I’m not super knowledgeable about OSU, but I think you’re definitely “missing” when you call Coleman Hawkins and RJ Melendez simply “role players.” While you might technically be correct, that’s the nature of college hoops … older guys moved on, and it’s next man up/their turn to shine. They both looked very good by the end of last year, and I’ve seen either or both show up on lists of potential breakout stars for this season in the Big Ten.

Again, if you have two returning players who third parties are hyping a bit, a top ten recruiting class with a 5-star PG who’s ready to start by all metrics, a transfer class that is at the very least “good” and a coaching staff in place that’s been better at winning Big Ten games than any other in the league over the last 3 years (by a pretty wide margin), it shouldn’t be hard to envision why some people might think we’d be good … it takes no more faith than thinking one more off-season and a comparably good incoming class will turn last year’s IU team into a conference title contender, and that’s the point - it’s anyone’s league.

All of us should expect fans in Champaign, Bloomington, Columbus, West Lafayette, etc. to not exactly be deferential to any other program as “the favorite” this year.

I'm sorry you're an IU fan...

I mean, I’m not super knowledgeable about OSU, but I think you’re definitely “missing” when you call Coleman Hawkins and RJ Melendez simply “role players.” While you might technically be correct, that’s the nature of college hoops … older guys moved on, and it’s next man up/their turn to shine. They both looked very good by the end of last year, and I’ve seen either or both show up on lists of potential breakout stars for this season in the Big Ten.

Again, if you have two returning players who third parties are hyping a bit, a top ten recruiting class with a 5-star PG who’s ready to start by all metrics, a transfer class that is at the very least “good” and a coaching staff in place that’s been better at winning Big Ten games than any other in the league over the last 3 years (by a pretty wide margin), it shouldn’t be hard to envision why some people might think we’d be good … it takes no more faith than thinking one more off-season and a comparably good incoming class will turn last year’s IU team into a conference title contender, and that’s the point - it’s anyone’s league.

All of us should expect fans in Champaign, Bloomington, Columbus, West Lafayette, etc. to not exactly be deferential to any other program as “the favorite” this year.
Illinois' five star point guard is coming off an ACL tear and only played four games at Montverde, where Schifino, not Clark, was the primary point guard.

He's a real talent, but there's a lot of expectations for him, whereas IU and OSU have top 50 incoming point guards, but also have veterans ahead of them or next to them at the position.

I like Hawkins and Melendez - like Buffkin/Williams at Michigan, Brown at OSU, or Bates/Geronimo at IU, they showed they are ready for a bigger role. I think the reason I'm higher on OSU, and to a lesser degree, Michigan than Illinois is that those schools also have key returnees that are established in their systems (Key, Sueing, Dickenson) to go with emerging players, portal transfers, and freshmen. Illinois doesn't have any returnees that have been established key pieces at illinois.

Last edited:

Skyy is not a 5* and with that kind of injury I wouldn’t expect him to come in ready. That’s really a big piece and ask for him.

Can you post the links to the lists of potential breakout stars? I'd like to see who else is on the list.

The more I look at these rosters I think you are right about OSU being better than ILL or Michigan. I also really like Bruce Thornton who Purdue recruited. I think I was overlooking MSU some too based on how they have underwhelmed recently, but they have a nice core returning when compared to other rosters.

IU
OSU
MSU

MI
IL
Purdue

Rutgers
Penn St
Wisconsin
Maryland
Northwestern
Iowa

Minnesota
Nebraska
People be sleeping on MN. Last year the frontcourt was atrocious besides Battle. They add some quality frontcourt pieces as well as getting a couple back from injury. Starting lineup will likely be:

PG- Ta'lon Cooper: 6'4 PG who was first team All-OVC. 8th in the country in APG.

SG- Braeden Carrington: Freshman who was MN Mr. Basketball this past season. Led one of the better public school teams in the country to a 31-1 record and a State Championship in the top class.

SF- Jamison Battle: Serious contender for first team All-B1G.

PF- Parker Fox: First team D2 All-American in 2020-21. Led all of D2 in rebounding and blocks. 7th in scoring. Sat out last season due to injury.

C- Dawson Garcia- Last season was a tough one for him. Started out fine, but then got a concussion against BC and wasn't the same after. Also, dealt with family medical problems which ultimately led to him sitting out the remainder of the season. Shortly after he returned to MN, his grandmother unfortunately passed away. His dad was real sick with Covid previously as well. All-B1G talent when healthy.

People be sleeping on MN. Last year the frontcourt was atrocious besides Battle. They add some quality frontcourt pieces as well as getting a couple back from injury. Starting lineup will likely be:

PG- Ta'lon Cooper: 6'4 PG who was first team All-OVC. 8th in the country in APG.

SG- Braeden Carrington: Freshman who was MN Mr. Basketball this past season. Led one of the better public school teams in the country to a 31-1 record and a State Championship in the top class.

PF- Parker Fox: First team D2 All-American in 2020-21. Led all of D2 in rebounding and blocks. 7th in scoring. Sat out last season due to injury.

C- Dawson Garcia- Last season was a tough one for him. Started out fine, but then got a concussion against BC and wasn't the same after. Also, dealt with family medical problems which ultimately led to him sitting out the remainder of the season. Shortly after he returned to MN, his grandmother unfortunately passed away. His dad was real sick with Covid previously as well. All-B1G talent when healthy.

I think Minnesota could get out of last place.

Battle is very good. Garcia is good. Thompson showed some potential last year. Cooper is an excellent addition, though his numbers will drop with the step up in competition.

Ben Johnson seems to be a good game coach and motivator.
Depth is horrendous. That sg ranked in the 200's better not be starting as a freshman.

Maybe six or seven conference wins?

Reactions: boilerball2021

They very well could be a sleeper.

Garcia lit Purdue up last year. He and Battle alone should probably have them up higher in list. Not knowing about his situation I always wondered why UNC took off after he left the team.

I'd be worried about a D2 transfer starting though. My thiught would be most B1G level forwards would lead D2 in rebounding if they went that route.

ADVERTISEMENT