ADVERTISEMENT

iu Shows Importance of a Point Guard

Lionheart1

Junior
Jun 15, 2005
Sitting atop the BIG (albeit with the easiest schedule) with a very good point guard surrounded by role players. Purdue is middle of the pack with very good center, good small forward, good rebounding power forward, but barely adequate point guards.

Oy... by these posts you'd think we were winless.

That aside, Carsen is the real deal apparently and I think our problems are inconoistent outside shooting more than our guard play. Sure the PGs are not Yogi, but they aren't the dregs of the earth either.

And let's also not forget the unbalanced schedule.. that too is a factor.

Sitting atop the BIG (albeit with the easiest schedule) with a very good point guard surrounded by role players. Purdue is middle of the pack with very good center, good small forward, good rebounding power forward, but barely adequate point guards.

Wow! Don't get too wrapped up in the hyperbole as you make your point. Troy Williams is one hell of a role player, and Thomas Bryant has worked out pretty well for them, too.

I completely agree. I think would be sitting atop the B1G with either Octeus or LewJack on this team.

Vandy, Pitt, Butler, Florida..beat 3 out 4 Pre-conference tournament teams. Duke, ND 1-1 not to tough is it. Conference schedule Iowa twice, Maryland twice, Wisky twice,MSU and Michigan... 12 tournament teams total... IU 8..a total difference of 4. Not to hard to figure why your still a 5 seed and so are we. Good try!

You win B1G but it all leads to a 5 seed and still tied for 4th best seed in the B1G. Thats why scehdule matters

Reactions: BBG
I will guarantee you aren't a 3 seed and dum dum you realize you play a lot of tough teams once.

Yep...Zero tough road wins. Thanks for clarifying!
It's tough to have any great road wins when the B1G gives us all our hard games at home. ;)

In all seriousness though, I don't think IU fans would dispute that Purdue has better road wins than IU. Certainly Wisky, and I thought Pitt too, but they're now 8th in the ACC. For argument sake, let's count it. However, Purdue also has the worse road loss between the two teams. The difference in records right now between IU and Purdue (3.5 games) is not entirely because IU has had an easier road environment - perhaps that accounts for 1 game, 2 games max (we still have Iowa to go, and we don't go to Maryland, however we did go to MSU which Purdue did not). To me the biggest difference in records is that Purdue has not taken care of business on the road in games it which it could have or should have won (UM and IL), and the home game lost to Iowa. In all 3 of those situations IU prevailed and Purdue did not. I'm not trying to push your buttons, that is just the truth. If Purdue had matched IU in those situations, Purdue would be 2nd place, with an opportunity to overtake 1st.

I do agree... we should have taking care business and failed in those games. As a whole though the selection committee is going to look at tournament teams like Vandy, Florida, Pitt and say those are good wins because they are tournament teams. That is why IU hasn't jumped up like a normal B1G leader would or should be with their record.

I do agree... we should have taking care business and failed in those games. As a whole though the selection committee is going to look at tournament teams like Vandy, Florida, Pitt and say those are good wins because they are tournament teams. That is why IU hasn't jumped up like a normal B1G leader would or should be with their record.
Are you trying to use logic with an emotional basket case? Tends not to work well ... or are you discussing with Upright, which, in that case, you're fine.

I think if IU would have beat Wake, UNLV and atleast competed against Duke they could be looking at 1-2 seed unfortunately their toughest win Pre-conference is...ND which looks good because they are a tournament team. I believe ND and Pitt are a wash.

Reactions: Upright Hoosier
I don't know a single IU fan that would disagree with you. (and for the record, I don't know bigstackdaddy).

Edit: and agree on the what you said too that I didn't bold. road win against a tourney team = quality, any which way you slice it.

It's tough to have any great road wins when the B1G gives us all our hard games at home. ;)

In all seriousness though, I don't think IU fans would dispute that Purdue has better road wins than IU. Certainly Wisky, and I thought Pitt too, but they're now 8th in the ACC. For argument sake, let's count it. However, Purdue also has the worse road loss between the two teams. The difference in records right now between IU and Purdue (3.5 games) is not entirely because IU has had an easier road environment - perhaps that accounts for 1 game, 2 games max (we still have Iowa to go, and we don't go to Maryland, however we did go to MSU which Purdue did not). To me the biggest difference in records is that Purdue has not taken care of business on the road in games it which it could have or should have won (UM and IL), and the home game lost to Iowa. In all 3 of those situations IU prevailed and Purdue did not. I'm not trying to push your buttons, that is just the truth. If Purdue had matched IU in those situations, Purdue would be 2nd place, with an opportunity to overtake 1st.
Again it bears repeating ...... It's not who you play but when you play them. So yeah scheduling has made an impact on the conference season.

Again it bears repeating ...... It's not who you play but when you play them. So yeah scheduling has made an impact on the conference season.
I assume you were talking about my WV comment. I don't disagree at all. Since you mentioned timing, I'd add that Purdue's best road win of the season came against Wisky when people were saying "WTF?" in regards to them... they had 5 non-conference losses including a couple real doozies before they opened the B1G with Purdue. If I were a Purdue fan, I'd be happy as hell to have that W in hand already and not have to go there at this point of the season. Don't get me wrong, I'm not downplaying the win - in fact, I stated unequivocally that it was Purdue's best road win of the year and I gave no disclaimers on timing. Some people (perhaps yourself included based on your post) appear to see the all the imperfections of scheduling as only benefiting IU (or only hurting Purdue). The pendulum does swing both ways.

Last edited:

Funny how they outscored that team sitting at the top by 15 points in last 7 minutes. Without their very good center on the floor for most of the time, and a bunch of barely adequate guards..

P.J. Thompson had three turnovers at IU -- after just one turnover (total) in his previous 12 games -- but he still has an assist-turnover ratio of 5.7 this season against Big Ten competition. That’s nearly two times better than the official conference leaders -- Mike Gesell (3.2), Bryant McIntosh (2.9) and Denzel Valentine (2.9) -- but P.J. doesn’t average the required 3 assists to qualify for that list. Yogi Ferrell ranks seventh in Big Ten play at 1.9, only slightly better than Johnny Hill’s 1.6, which would tie him for 11th in the league.

P.J. is shooting .444 from the field against Big Ten competition, including .432 from 3-point range, while Hill is shooting .439 and .250, respectively. Yogi is shooting .467 in Big Ten games and .434 on threes.

Splitting time and limited takes keep their other numbers down, but poor play at Purdue’s point is a myth. Point fingers at the other two guard spots, where plodding people take turns vanishing in plain sight.

Without P.J. and Johnny, we’d have a herd of turtles.

I assume you were talking about my WV comment. I don't disagree at all. Since you mentioned timing, I'd add that Purdue's best road win of the season came against Wisky when people were saying "WTF?" in regards to them... they had 5 non-conference losses including a couple real doozies before they opened the B1G with Purdue. If I were a Purdue fan, I'd be happy as hell to have that W in hand already and not have to go there at this point of the season. Don't get me wrong, I'm not downplaying the win - in fact, I stated unequivocally that it was Purdue's best road win of the year and I gave no disclaimers on timing. Some people (perhaps yourself included based on your post) appear to see the all the imperfections of scheduling as only benefiting IU (or only hurting Purdue). The pendulum does swings both ways.
No I agree with you about Wisky and they will be a tough out for us at home. Just saying that we and MSU caught Iowa at the wrong time twice.

No I agree with you about Wisky and they will be a tough out for us at home. Just saying that we and MSU caught Iowa at the wrong time twice.
Gene always said it's not WHO you play but WHEN you play them. Looks like he was right and it also can be applied to the unbalanced schedule.

IU had that very good team a few years ago (Zeller, Oladipo, Watford, Hulls, Ferrell, etc.) but when faced against a good Syracuse zone with taller and longer players, they struggled with the bulk of their guard minutes going to the 5'10 Ferrell and the 5'11 Jordan Hulls. I'm excited about Carsen Edwards. I believe he can be the best shooting and overall decision-making PG (besides sophomore version of Keaton Grant) that the Boilers have had in a long time. Height/length is my one concern since P.J. Thompson is about 5'9 and not a super-quick guy for his size. I hope C. Edwards grows a couple of inches before the start of next season so that Purdue doesn't have two sub 6' point guards. It wouldn't hurt. Come on, Mr. Edwards, grow! (jk)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT