ADVERTISEMENT

IU Recruiting

If fife is respected then why is he not on a bench? Matta was always a year or two guy. He might be the loss but Fife not so much.
Agreed it sounds like Fife hurt a lot more than he helped. Sounds like a legit weird dude from some of the stories that came from his time recruiting for IU.

I do expect iu will be improved this year for the reasons you give but you shouldn’t expect to go on your rivals board and rule the savage beast and expect pleasantries. You would have been kicked off the indiana board if the shoe were on the other foot like many have been done before for far fewer things.
Not true. We have PU fans on our board that come over and discuss things all of the time . No one is kicked off unless being belligerent

Not true. We have PU fans on our board that come over and discuss things all of the time . No one is kicked off unless being belligerent
The guys that run what used to be Peegs, are a bunch of snowflakes. I've been banned for about 6 years now because I spoke the truth and the sorty mods got their panties in a wad over it. The GBI mods let anything go, which is the way it should be on an anonymous internet message board.

I was kicked off for using stats to show indiana had starters on offense playing most of the year to counter a point their bad year was due 100% to injury. Very diplomatic and polite. My post was even liked by a Hoosier fan. Obviously someone didn’t like suggesting indiana was just bad at football. My last post was an acknowledging an error in a stat.

Your statement is demonstrably false. The proof: look at the tag line to this very post that was posted by the IU site monitor. That is his exact post. It is unchallenged that he made it. Your comment is very wrong.

I don’t agree with his first sentence.
I don't know who Brian Rauf is, but he might be onto something....

The combined conference record for IU's experienced returning roster is 170-278 (Kopp and Johnson come from losing pedigree). You can have all the talent in the world, but knowing how to win and being coached by someone who's done it consistently at this level matters. This combined with managing high expectations and a preseason top 25 target on your back are reasons why I wouldn't be sticking my chest out yet as an IU fan.

IU clearly has the best roster on paper, but would anyone be surprised if they are middle of the pack and proven systems and better coaching at lesser talented schools like Wisconsin, Purdue, and Iowa finish ahead of them again?

Reactions: TX4GB
I don't know who Brian Rauf is, but he might be onto something....

The combined conference record for IU's experienced returning roster is 170-278 (Kopp and Johnson come from losing pedigree). You can have all the talent in the world, but knowing how to win and being coached by someone who's done it consistently at this level matters. This combined with managing high expectations and a preseason top 25 target on your back are reasons why I wouldn't be sticking my chest out yet as an IU fan.

IU clearly has the best roster on paper, but would anyone be surprised if they are middle of the pack and proven systems and better coaching at lesser talented schools like Wisconsin, Purdue, and Iowa finish ahead of them again?
I would be very surprised if Wisky or Purdue finish ahead of IU this year. My opinion of Iowa is high—thinking they’ll be near the top so maybe they could.

I would be very surprised if Wisky or Purdue finish ahead of IU this year. My opinion of Iowa is high—thinking they’ll be near the top so maybe they could.

Iowa should be good. Wisconsin... maybe, Johnny Davis meant so much to them I don't see it. IU SHOULD be good, but they SHOULD have been good a lot the last 5 years. XJ played great at the end of last year... how many wins was that worth? Feb and March they played themselves out of a lock for the tournament to almost off the bubble going a blistering 2-7. What is making the 2022 version better? Still no shooting (worse without Parker). Sure they have a couple 5* recruits, however one will NOT be better than Race or TJD and likely only takes minutes from JG (if that happens, even). Tamar Bates was so bad last year he is in Lander territory and are you really putting hopes into a true freshman JHS? He could be really good, but he isn't a shooter and TJD's lack of range really takes away his driving lanes.

Iowa should be good. Wisconsin... maybe, Johnny Davis meant so much to them I don't see it. IU SHOULD be good, but they SHOULD have been good a lot the last 5 years. XJ played great at the end of last year... how many wins was that worth? Feb and March they played themselves out of a lock for the tournament to almost off the bubble going a blistering 2-7. What is making the 2022 version better? Still no shooting (worse without Parker). Sure they have a couple 5* recruits, however one will NOT be better than Race or TJD and likely only takes minutes from JG (if that happens, even). Tamar Bates was so bad last year he is in Lander territory and are you really putting hopes into a true freshman JHS? He could be really good, but he isn't a shooter and TJD's lack of range really takes away his driving lanes.
Bates was nowhere near Lander bad. That’s a whole different level of bad.

Replacing Parker Stewart, Durr, Phinisee, and maybe Kopp as 15 minute+ players with Jalen Hood Schifino, Reneau, and Banks, and adding the end of year development of Geronimo is a major upgrade.

Another big deal that’s underrated; year two of a new coach’s system. That’s a big part of why IU was so much better in March; they played a lot more freely.

In large part I agree with the Purdue fans: Ain’t worth shit until it actually happens. But message boards are good for speculating, and IU projects well.

Last edited:
IU will need to prove it, because like you said, they’ve been good on paper in recent years only to disappoint.

With that being said, I’ll take a stab at your question. I believe IU will be better, because their bench is going to be better. Reneau should have no issue being better than Durr who was probably closer to a D2 player.

JHS should be a big upgrade to Rob Phinisee who was terrible outside of one game (you know which game).

I don’t agree with your Tamar Bates assessment. In my opinion, he didn’t look remotely close to as poor as Lander did in his first two years. He was playing very well actually prior to losing his Uncle and finding out he was going to be a father in the same week. He never seemingly recovered from that. At the very least I would expect him to fill Parker Stewart’s shoes rather easily, because they really aren’t big shoes to fill.

Shooting is a concern, but the staff believes the answer to the shooting woes are on the roster (Kopp and Bates).

I guess we’ll see how it plays out, but it’s been awhile since there was this much talent.

Reactions: Sinkme
I find it interesting that you are directly proven to have made a false post and proceed as if nothing happened. That is disingenuous. A good poster would acknowledge error and apologize to the board.

Bates was nowhere near Lander bad. That’s a whole different level of bad.

Replacing Parker Stewart, Durr, Phinisee, and maybe Kopp as 15 minute+ players with Jalen Hood Schifino, Reneau, and Banks, and adding the end of year development of Geronimo is a major upgrade.

Another big deal that’s underrated; year two of a new coach’s system. That’s a big part of why IU was so much better in March; they played a lot more freely.

In large part I agree with the Purdue fans: Ain’t worth shit until it actually happens. But message boards are good for speculating, and IU projects well.

There are too many minutes eaten up by Race and TJD for both Reneau and JG to meaningfully contribute. And IU was 3-4 in March, is that the standard for playing "much better"? They beat Michigan and Illinois who were both Jekyl and Hyde teams all year. For instance, Michigan ran you out of Ass Hall.

IU couldn't shoot last year WITH Kopp. And with so many players who have 4+ years in college I don't see much improvement from last year. Bates isn't Lander bad, but he wasn’t good. Sure he may have played well until whatever you say happened, or IU stopped playing crappy teams once the B1G season started. It would be quite an improvement for his shooting to replace Parker's.

I'm also not putting much into Woodsen ad a coach. 2-7 to the end regular season.

Reactions: Poprudy
I find it interesting that you are directly proven to have made a false post and proceed as if nothing happened. That is disingenuous. A good poster would acknowledge error and apologize to the board.
I have no idea what post of mine was “directly proven” to be false or disingenuous. If that was the case I’m more than good with recognizing it.

There are too many minutes eaten up by Race and TJD for both Reneau and JG to meaningfully contribute. And IU was 3-4 in March, is that the standard for playing "much better"? They beat Michigan and Illinois who were both Jekyl and Hyde teams all year. For instance, Michigan ran you out of Ass Hall.

IU couldn't shoot last year WITH Kopp. And with so many players who have 4+ years in college I don't see much improvement from last year. Bates isn't Lander bad, but he wasn’t good. Sure he may have played well until whatever you say happened, or IU stopped playing crappy Yes

IU couldn't shoot last year WITH Kopp. And with so many players who have 4+ years in college I don't see much improvement from last year. Bates isn't Lander bad, but he wasn’t good. Sure he may have played well until whatever you say happened, or IU stopped playing crappy teams once the B1G season started. It would be quite an improvement for his shooting to replace Parker's.

I'm also not putting much into Woodsen ad a coach. 2-7 to the end regular season.

Parker Stewart shot really well against cupcakes, and below 30% from 3pt in B1G play.

IU was 3-4 in March, but three of those losses were by a bucket to a top 15 Purdue team in W Lafayette, by a bucket to a ranked Iowa team in B1G tourney, and to Rutgers on a buzzer beater.

Not saying moral victories are actual victories, but they were playing better for sure.

I have no idea what post of mine was “directly proven” to be false or disingenuous. If that was the case I’m more than good with recognizing it.
I was not referring to you. I was referring to "Ace"; however, your post was linked in error. Please accept my apologies for the error. I do note that Ace has not responded to the point. The error was caused by his linking to a post of yours and I linked to his. However, the only item cited became yours. Hence the confusion was created.

Last edited:
Reactions: HoosierfanJM
I was not referring to you. I was referring to "Ace"; however, your post was linked in error. Please accept my apologies for the error. I do not that Ace has not responded to the point. The error was caused by his linking to a post of yours and I linked to his. However, the only item cited became yours. Hence the confusion was created.
No worries!

Appreciate that friend.

Xavier Johnson is still standing trial for felony charge(s). Everyone convinced he will play? The comments he will quickly settle or get a slap on wrist are unfounded he has been through many legal hearings already and headed to trial.

Xavier Johnson is still standing trial for felony charge(s). Everyone convinced he will play? The comments he will quickly settle or get a slap on wrist are unfounded he has been through many legal hearings already and headed to trial.
They are misdemeanor charges. It will settle. Yes, he will play.

Guessing it’ll be one of those “sit out two cupcake game” suspensions. You guys will have fun being horrified at the lack of consequences; good fodder for rivalry disgust, but an afterthought soon thereafter.

Last edited:
They are misdemeanor charges. It will settle. Yes, he will play.

Guessing it’ll be one of those “sit out two cupcake game” suspensions. You guys will have fun being horrified at the lack of consequences; good fodder for rivalry disgust, but an afterthought soon thereafter.
Nope just checked still a felony charge, he’s on bail and court monitoring, and had 5-6 pre-trial hearings. Doesn’t sound like a quick settlement…

Reactions: HoosierfanJM
Nope just checked still a felony charge, he’s on bail and court monitoring, and had 5-6 pre-trial hearings. Doesn’t sound like a quick settlement…
First article I googled had it as misdemeanor.

Read the charging docs. Misdemeanor reckless driving and felony resistance by driving away. True dat.

He’s a first offender. He won’t get the felony 100% sure of that. All court cases look like that. The jury trial was cancelled and he had a conference on Monday. The details of that conference aren’t out yet.I can tell you Mary Ellen as his judge bodes well.

He’s a first offender. He won’t get the felony 100% sure of that. All court cases look like that. The jury trial was cancelled and he had a conference on Monday. The details of that conference aren’t out yet.I can tell you Mary Ellen as his judge bodes well.
Pretrial order of CT. 1 Class A misdemeanor which is normal, CT. 2 dismissed. 1 year probation, license suspended, treatment and no fines plus 50 hrs of community service.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
He’s not a first offender and his jury trial was cancelled a while ago it just hasn’t been rescheduled yet. His conference Monday was his regular monthly one, he has had a handful and hasn’t settled yet.

he may be fine but I’m just saying can you count on him right now?

Pretrial order of CT. 1 Class A misdemeanor which is normal, CT. 2 dismissed. 1 year probation, license suspended, treatment and no fines plus 50 hrs of community service.
Seems logical but as long as he has his felony charge I thought he was not allowed to play? If he hasn’t settled yet what reason is to believe he will in 3 months when the season starts?

Seems logical but as long as he has his felony charge I thought he was not allowed to play? If he hasn’t settled yet what reason is to believe he will in 3 months when the season starts?
He won't have a felony conviction. He has settled with the court on the matter and it's over. This is exactly what he received.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
He’s not a first offender and his jury trial was cancelled a while ago it just hasn’t been rescheduled yet. His conference Monday was his regular monthly one, he has had a handful and hasn’t settled yet.

he may be fine but I’m just saying can you count on him right now?
That’s the way it will be treated.

Purdue and Wisconsin are almost always better than the sum of its parts. Over the last decade I'd put IU with Rutgers, Maryland and Penn State. On paper there appears to be some talent there but they just can't seem to put it all together.

Looking at the roster I would pick IU over Purdue but Purdue always has a chance to be near the top of the B1G as long as Painter has some talent to work with. Other than Edey, is there enough there? We'll see................

It did say he was changing his plea 8/23 so he must have settled. If what you say is true, CT 1 was the felony and would be dropped to the most serious class of misdemeanor. That’s even higher than a typical DUI and could face 1 year in jail which presumably would be the case if he violated probation. Not exactly slap on the wrist.

ADVERTISEMENT