ADVERTISEMENT

IU Recruiting

What I do not understand is how IU plans to play with the new 5-star forward and TJD and Race. I do not see either TJD or Thompson being happy with coming off the bench and 5-star freshmen are looking to move on to the NBA asap. Part-time is not likely to be a quick step to the NBA.

What I do not understand is how IU plans to play with the new 5-star forward and TJD and Race. I do not see either TJD or Thompson being happy with coming off the bench and 5-star freshmen are looking to move on to the NBA asap. Part-time is not likely to be a quick step to the NBA.
You should do some research on the player before posting.

Reneau isn’t a one and done. More likely he is a 4 year player as he is undersized and doesn’t have great athleticism. He will backup TJD and Race this year.

Reactions: Sinkme
Just for clarification....... No one in their class of 2022 is a McD's AA.
If your top 25 ..Your at bare minimum as good as any McDonald's player....
McDonald's is sometimes about where you signed..
You play and start at Montverde...Oak Hill.
La Lumiere...You usually have serious game

You should do some research on the player before posting.

Reneau isn’t a one and done. More likely he is a 4 year player as he is undersized and doesn’t have great athleticism. He will backup TJD and Race this year.
Reneau is listed at 6'9" and 225 lbs. by Rivals. He is a 5-star ranked 25th in the country. I do not think that many 5-stars view themselves a 4 year players. Also, 6'9" is not undersized as a PF which is how he is listed on Rivals. At NBAdraftroom.com the top PFs in the class have heights that ranked 6'9" at third among players. That hardly is undersized. It is also unusual to be a 5-star and lack athleticism.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Reneau is listed at 6'9" and 225 lbs. by Rivals. He is a 5-star ranked 25th in the country. I do not think that many 5-stars view themselves a 4 year players. Also, 6'9" is not undersized as a PF which is how he is listed on Rivals. At NBAdraftroom.com the top PFs in the class have heights that ranked 6'9" at third among players. That hardly is undersized. It is also unusual to be a 5-star and lack athleticism.
I doubt he’s seen this kid play beyond highlight videos. Thirty-plus years of being irrelevant has turned what used to be a fairly knowledgeable fan base into a bunch of blithering idiots. Good thing Indinia’s well-earned reputation as an easy admissions school gets these kids in the door, and that the easy class load given them keeps everyone eligible. Probably their only way to compete after being so bad for so long.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schnelk
Reneau is a poor mans TJD, they are clones of each other. Go watch Reneau high school film, dude has G League written all over him. But that 6’1 PG that comes off the bench for them, that dude has that extra gear you’re looking for! Give me DGL all day!

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Because you're a typical clueless IU fan on a Purdue board trying to prove your teams relevance.

Go back and enjoy your recruit on your board. If, you can get a tournament win next year and we don't. Then you can come back and poke fun.
We did get a tournament when this year but there's one thing we didn't do we didn't get beat by a Peter.

• Haha
Reactions: Poprudy
Still waiting to hear why the new IU recruits don’t care about academics. IU has had a perfect academic score the last 3 years in basketball.
Why don't you tell us which user name you used last. Remember...the last three years only count for Lil' Arch's recruits. You're an ever bigger idiot if you think Woody's recruits will have a perfect academic "score". And remember, it's Indinia.

Reactions: lovelyblonde
We did beat you at home. We were a final shot from beating you in Mackey (with a team you guys claimed was Painter’s best ever). You lost an All-American, a 2nd team All-Big Ten player, and a 3 year starter. We lost nothing and added two 5*.

There is a good chance we sweep you next year. As has happened throughout the rivalry, each team has its ups and downs.
You have obviously been keying in on who you have and once again as an Iu fan, not watching what Purdue has coming in. You guys have had the "better" recruits by number, over the last several years and what has it gotten you?

I'll ask you the same question what is your recruits got you you're supposed to have one of your best teams ever you guys did nothing so you might need the think about it before you speak

Reactions: Sinkme
I'll ask you the same question what is your recruits got you you're supposed to have one of your best teams ever you guys did nothing so you might need the think about it before you speak

Want to try that one again?

Indiana has won five national championships. In the five national title games 66% of the players who scored one of more points were from Indiana. Sixty four %of the starters were from Indiana. a total of 35 players scored one of more points in a title game. The twelve who were not from Indiana were from Illinois (6), Ohio (2), and 1 each from Wisconsin, Florida, California and Louisiana. Every championship team had at least one starter from Indiana. One team had three from Indiana starting, two had four starters from Indiana and one had five homegrown starters.

Last edited:
Indiana has won five national championships. In the five national title games 66% of the players who scored one of more points were from Indiana. Sixty four %of the starters were from Indiana. a total of 35 players scored one of more points in a title game. The twelve who were not from Indiana were from Illinois (6), Ohio (2), and 1 each from Wisconsin, Florida, California and Louisiana. Every championship team had at least one starter from Indiana. One team had three from Indiana starting, two had four starters from Indiana and one had five homegrown starters.
It is a stretch to call the first one a national champ

Reactions: Schnelk
So making the tourney is "nothing"? You remember that .

If your top 25 ..Your at bare minimum as good as any McDonald's player....
McDonald's is sometimes about where you signed..
You play and start at Montverde...Oak Hill.
La Lumiere...You usually have serious game
But if they aren't McD AAs, then don't say they are McD AAs.

That is one messed up post. Maybe they understand you in your trailor park, but no civilized person understands this gibberish.

Reactions: mathboy and Poprudy
Guessing this year but will see.
We hear every year that IU is back and is going to surpass Purdue. The IU recruits are better; the coaches at IU are better; their crowds are better; their media is better. Yet Purdue keeps outperforming IU.

I would really enjoy hearing why "...this time is different..." with the acknowledgment and explanation as to why we were told that in the past and it didn't happen yet it will be true this time.

Personally, when I see a fairly consistent trend (like Purdue has had) I will expect the trend to continue as it has done.

We hear every year that IU is back and is going to surpass Purdue. The IU recruits are better; the coaches at IU are better; their crowds are better; their media is better. Yet Purdue keeps outperforming IU.

I would really enjoy hearing why "...this time is different..." with the acknowledgment and explanation as to why we were told that in the past and it didn't happen yet it will be true this time.

Personally, when I see a fairly consistent trend (like Purdue has had) I will expect the trend to continue as it has done.
Better talent and Woody in his 2nd year in college ball. But, like I said, we will see. Dude, I am not trying to argue, just trying to have a good natured discussion.

Better talent and Woody in his 2nd year in college ball. But, like I said, we will see. Dude, I am not trying to argue, just trying to have a good natured discussion.
I think this year, specifically, IU has more mature talent. Purdue is going to be very young in key positions. I don’t think the so-called “better talent” perspective is accurate. It’s an illusion created by people who desperately want their team to be better. The talent here at Purdue, and the talent coming into the program in future years is as good as any IU has.

This year, and this year only, IU has their best chance. Next year without their seniors, IU will struggle against a talented and maturing Purdue team.

Reactions: Poprudy
I'm trying to be nice here but you didn't really respond to the point of my post. You stated why you think that IU will be better but totally ignored the key point of my post: the same prediction is made almost every year and turns out to be wrong. Yet never is there an acknowledgment of error or an explanation of why it is wrong. There never seems to be learning from contra experience. So just to repeat a prediction without recognizing the history of that prediction and the error associated with it shows little introspection.

I wonder about the loss ofFife, and especially Matta will mean to the program? Some say nada. Hard to believe these two did nothing for all of last year, contributing not one bit of intelligence, coaching or class to what ever success IU had. Seems funny that the lost of those two very respected coaches is not an issue.

I think this year, specifically, IU has more mature talent. Purdue is going to be very young in key positions. I don’t think the so-called “better talent” perspective is accurate. It’s an illusion created by people who desperately want their team to be better. The talent here at Purdue, and the talent coming into the program in future years is as good as any IU has.

This year, and this year only, IU has their best chance. Next year without their seniors, IU will struggle against a talented and maturing Purdue team.
Agree with this....next year could see Edey, Berg, Furst top 50 kid, Trey top 40 kid, Mason with plenty of leadership, Loyer top 100 kid, Dravyn top 30, Colvin top 80-100 kid. Plenty of talent on this team for 2023.

I wonder about the loss ofFife, and especially Matta will mean to the program? Some say nada. Hard to believe these two did nothing for all of last year, contributing not one bit of intelligence, coaching or class to what ever success IU had. Seems funny that the lost of those two very respected coaches is not an issue.
My take?

Matta is a fantastic coach and fantastic guy. He wasn’t one of Woody’s go-to guys, but the players will miss him.

Fife? My impression is that he won’t be especially missed, and that Walsh is absolutely an upgrade.

My take?

Matta is a fantastic coach and fantastic guy. He wasn’t one of Woody’s go-to guys, but the players will miss him.

Fife? My impression is that he won’t be especially missed, and that Walsh is absolutely an upgrade.
I remember IU fans treating and touting Fife as the successor to Woodson. He was considered a man of great basketball knowledge after years of learning from Izzo. Now he won't be missed and has been upgraded upon.

This reminds me of the treatment in the history books in Stalinist Russia of what happened after Stalin purged some guy.

I remember IU fans treating and touting Fife as the successor to Woodson. He was considered a man of great basketball knowledge after years of learning from Izzo. Now he won't be missed and has been upgraded upon.

This reminds me of the treatment in the history books in Stalinist Russia of what happened after Stalin purged some guy.
“IU fans” as if it was universal lol.

FWIW, (truth-bomb) for many Fife fit the bill of the brassy, young-ish, “meets their vision (aka white guy)” stereotype and Woody did not. But you know who thought Woody was a great man and excellent coach? All those NBA players that played for him. Chris Paul. Melo. Randle. Kidd. And Buckner. Wittman. Zeller. Doc Rivers. Larry Brown. Bob Knight. And for what it’s worth, Matt Painter too. That was enough for me as soon as his name came up as an option. I was a Woodson guy from the start. He doesn’t have to look like Jimmy Chitwood or Bob Knight to be a true and great Hoosier. Geez, does that need to be said? It’s a subconscious bias but I think it’s the case.

BTW, I thought Fife would be a good assistant at first. But Walsh is not a big upgrade over Fife because Walsh is some young savant, it’s because Walsh isn’t a no-filter asshole. And Fife is still unemployed for next year. Word spreads.

Last edited:
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I do expect iu will be improved this year for the reasons you give but you shouldn’t expect to go on your rivals board and rule the savage beast and expect pleasantries. You would have been kicked off the indiana board if the shoe were on the other foot like many have been done before for far fewer things.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
If fife is respected then why is he not on a bench? Matta was always a year or two guy. He might be the loss but Fife not so much.

ADVERTISEMENT