ADVERTISEMENT

IU pulls away in second half (link)

Things don't happen in a vacuum. Indiana was the better team this year and after a 1-6 start won 11 of 13. Give it to Boilermaker Moren to turn a moribund program into a competitive one. This game and result was no surprise at all. This year's Purdue team was hurt by transfers and key injuries. Harris was virtually our entire front line much of the time. MCClaughlin was great this year, but Buss was the senior who schooled her as Clarissa will to other guards in her career. Losing Lawson,which would have given us front line help and our best D player in Cooper couldn't be overcome.
The biggest question is if Indiana has passed us as a program and next season will tell a lot. Indiana loses a lot including their totally best player in Buss. We are young and return every significant player but Keys ( a big loss) and maybe will have the depth we don't have now.
I know the sentiment is to fire Versyp, but she created 20 wins out of air. Only if next season goes significantly south will she be gone. Time to wait and see.

And why would she deserve more time? Injuries, transfers, youth...all failures of the staff to adequately recruit in preparation for exactly those events.

Reactions: Carolsh
Not saying she earned it, just saying I think the reality is that she won 20 games with an undermanned team and usually you don't get fired especially with such a solid core coming back. Maybe the AD will think differently and let her go. I just don't think so this year and if they do well and go back go the Dance next year it won't happen. That's just the way it is.

In other words, give her a lifetime contract and accept mediocrity. Forget what happened
In 2000, those times are gone. I think that’s the gist.

Aside from BoilerRam, most of the names I see here complaining at any given point in time are seldom here otherwise.

Aside from BoilerRam, most of the names I see here complaining at any given point in time are seldom here otherwise.
You are correct in my case. But I would not be happy if our debate team lost to IU

But I have the same disdain for that sport as you do for the NBA. But if you’re going to field a team don’t lose to IU 3x in a season.

Last edited:
That is because the rest of us rarely check here anymore and when we do, there isn't much positive to comment about. When the coach points her finger and makes excuses regularly (when is the last time CSV acted or talked upbeat about anything?), there is not much reason for optimism about the future of the program. I feel bad for the ladies on this team. Far past time for a change.

Some people aren't content with a team that wins 58% of its games and finishes 7 in the conference. Some have higher expectations for a program that historically performed much better than that, and arguably against much better competition (remember when we regularly scheduled Texas, LSU, Stanford, Tennessee, LaTech, Oklahoma, Notre Dame?). They were all top 10 programs, and we faced tough talent every year. I don't get overly excited over a win over Valpo or Marist, and therefore am not going to come to the board to post over that type of win. In my mind, we should be handily beating those schools, and we shouldn't be loading our schedule with this type of competition. For every win over a top 25 program this year, there were head-scratching losses against teams with much less talent. I'd love to think this will all turn around, but at this point, it's highly doubtful that it will with this staff. The excitement and feel of this program has dramatically changed over the last 10 years, and many are a bit tired of the excuses year after year.

Reactions: Bigohh
Some people aren't content with a team that wins 58% of its games and finishes 7 in the conference. Some have higher expectations for a program that historically performed much better than that, and arguably against much better competition (remember when we regularly scheduled Texas, LSU, Stanford, Tennessee, LaTech, Oklahoma, Notre Dame?). They were all top 10 programs, and we faced tough talent every year. I don't get overly excited over a win over Valpo or Marist, and therefore am not going to come to the board to post over that type of win. In my mind, we should be handily beating those schools, and we shouldn't be loading our schedule with this type of competition. For every win over a top 25 program this year, there were head-scratching losses against teams with much less talent. I'd love to think this will all turn around, but at this point, it's highly doubtful that it will with this staff. The excitement and feel of this program has dramatically changed over the last 10 years, and many are a bit tired of the excuses year after year.

What does any of this have to do with what I said?

While it seems like all I do is complain, and maybe I do, it’s difficult to continue to watch Purdue WBB. It was such a joy to watch them in the early 90’s while we recruited and brought in the best players from Indiana and around the country. Watching the changing of coaches yet the continued success was fun.
Versyp is not just a poor coach and recruiter, she’s just a cranky old lady now.
On the other hand, the men’s team is a complete joy. Not just because they’ve won a lot this year, but the great guys that Painter brought in. I was upset last night losing to a team I thought we should beat, but feel fine this morning. As far as the WBB team is concerned, I’m done complaining. It’s a waste of time.

Reactions: Gesysp
While it seems like all I do is complain, and maybe I do, it’s difficult to continue to watch Purdue WBB. It was such a joy to watch them in the early 90’s while we recruited and brought in the best players from Indiana and around the country. Watching the changing of coaches yet the continued success was fun.
Versyp is not just a poor coach and recruiter, she’s just a cranky old lady now.
On the other hand, the men’s team is a complete joy. Not just because they’ve won a lot this year, but the great guys that Painter brought in. I was upset last night losing to a team I thought we should beat, but feel fine this morning. As far as the WBB team is concerned, I’m done complaining. It’s a waste of time.

I do understand where you're coming from and I respect your point of view because I know you have been following the program for a long time. It's the people that stop by here to complain that you never see here otherwise that annoy me. If they don't care enough to follow the program more deeply than watching for the scores then why would they bother complaining about it.

Reactions: BoilerRam
I do understand where you're coming from and I respect your point of view because I know you have been following the program for a long time. It's the people that stop by here to complain that you never see here otherwise that annoy me. If they don't care enough to follow the program more deeply than watching for the scores then why would they bother complaining about it.
Agreed! I’m hoping to be more positive
Going forward.

ADVERTISEMENT