ADVERTISEMENT

It is not just NIL. It looks like we will have to compete in recruiting weekends now too.

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
It is all out war now in college sports for the top recruits. We knew about the NIL. I didn't know the level of dollars that top football programs are spending for recruiting visit weekends too, as shown by Texas. This is getting a little ridiculous.

The Big Blinds keep going up and up and up, and you have to be ready to go all in or go home......it appears. You're talking $5 million+ recruiting budgets just to start.....and this is not even factoring in NIL.

Welcome to the game.....

giphy.gif

It's more than a little ridiculous and I am just about out.

What is the difference between a college program spending that sort of jack on recruits and an NFL team spending that much in attempting to lure premier free agents?

Honestly, it would be more fun and compelling if some sort of super conference were created consisting of super team programs willing and able to spend billions on recruits, facilities, and coaches. Off the top of my head:

Texas, half of the SEC, Ohio State, Michigan, perhaps Southern Cal and Oregon, Clemson, Oklahoma, etc.

Put them in a conference and they can work out a playoff format. Let the rest of the schools unwilling or unable to establish quasi-professional programs sort it out and compete amongst themselves and qualify for the traditional bowl games, etc.

As it is, we get a revolving door of largely the same schools qualifying for the CFP every year. It's becoming a crashing bore.

It is all out war now in college sports for the top recruits. We knew about the NIL. I didn't know the level of dollars that top football programs are spending for recruiting visit weekends too, as shown by Texas. This is getting a little ridiculous.

For the life of me if teams can go all out why can't Purdue fly recruits on a charter flight to Purdue's airport. If I'm not mistaken, this was taken away during the Tiller years?

It's more than a little ridiculous and I am just about out.

What is the difference between a college program spending that sort of jack on recruits and an NFL team spending that much in attempting to lure premier free agents?

Honestly, it would be more fun and compelling if some sort of super conference were created consisting of super team programs willing and able to spend billions on recruits, facilities, and coaches. Off the top of my head:

Texas, half of the SEC, Ohio State, Michigan, perhaps Southern Cal and Oregon, Clemson, Oklahoma, etc.

Put them in a conference and they can work out a playoff format. Let the rest of the schools unwilling or unable to establish quasi-professional programs sort it out and compete amongst themselves and qualify for the traditional bowl games, etc.

As it is, we get a revolving door of largely the same schools qualifying for the CFP every year. It's becoming a crashing bore.

That's an interesting idea. In a way, there's some similarity to what I proposed before: separate football/basketball with the rest of the athletic programs.

My reason: the money may justify Rutgers football/basketball to go play UCLA and USC on a regular basis. It doesn't for women's soccer or tennis. There really isn't a need to.

The rest of the sports can still operate under the old model with scholarships and "student-athletes." Football and basketball are a different animal. They are a for-profit business and should be treated as such, with players, coaches, and amenities under special arrangement.

Reactions: Professor Emeritus
For the life of me if teams can go all out why can't Purdue fly recruits on a charter flight to Purdue's airport. If I'm not mistaken, this was taken away during the Tiller years?
Yes. It was deemed an "unfair advantage" by the NCAA. STUNNING DECISION MAKING, and why they have zero relevance in todays college sports landscape.

I say just create an entertainment budget and just hire somebody to entertain us like circus du solail. And let that entertainment company find and develop and train its company of players. Let that entertainment company provide its own costumes much like a circus does. Let schools worry about academics. And let football and basketball games be like rock concerts! Let them promote their games and let them take their profits from the games! We provide the venue and they provide the entertainment!

I just had a new thought and vision! Let’s totally toss out this entire NIL idea and tell all of the contributors and sponsors to donate their money to the new Purdue School of Business that will be replacing Krannert! I can think of no worthier use of donor’s money! Just think! We will now have genuine MBAs and compete with IU in the academic field of competition. Say good bye to management and hello to business!

ADVERTISEMENT