ADVERTISEMENT

Is UV winning a bad thing for college BB's future?...

Nov 30, 2003
What I'm asking is, will it be copied? It is about as rare as a snowstorm in mid June.
The boring, 1950's style pack line defense is NEVER used in the NBA and elite blue chip players most likely would not want to be a part of that system.
I really hope not.

Too many coaches have entrenched philosophies that work pretty well. We were within an eyelash of beating UVA, and so was Auburn. Tennessee was within an eyelash of beating us. You also have different kinds of talent, of course. Maybe a few lower-level coaches will emulate the Bennett/UVA model, but I don't think one (relatively fortunate) title run is going to change much.

No. Hunter is a top 10 pick. Maybe top 5. Jerome, guy and Blondie will all play in league for multiple years.

The key is Jerome. To be able to execute that well and get good shots that late in the shot clock consistently is insane. You need the players to replicate the philosophy. Don't think it will become a new sensation or anything

Isn't the typical reason people give for not watching the NBA because the players are prima donnas and don't play defense?

If so, wouldn't a shift like what you're talking about reinforce the reasons many like college bb: because they play good defense and good team basketball.

I know that's the case for me. I would much rather see a team run an efficient offense, work the ball around, and get a good shot off than a single player getting an iso every time down the court. It's one of the reasons I respect the Warriors and Spurs systems. They require everyone to be involved (even though several Warriors players can take over, they often don't... Especially before Durant went there).

What I'm asking is, will it be copied? It is about as rare as a snowstorm in mid June.
The boring, 1950's style pack line defense is NEVER used in the NBA and elite blue chip players most likely would not want to be a part of that system.
I really hope not.
Winning is not boring if one does it without cheating. I would certainly take winning with low scores than losing when scoring 80 or more, but have the style points.

Isn't the typical reason people give for not watching the NBA because the players are prima donnas and don't play defense?

If so, wouldn't a shift like what you're talking about reinforce the reasons many like college bb: because they play good defense and good team basketball.

I know that's the case for me. I would much rather see a team run an efficient offense, work the ball around, and get a good shot off than a single player getting an iso every time down the court. It's one of the reasons I respect the Warriors and Spurs systems. They require everyone to be involved (even though several Warriors players can take over, they often don't... Especially before Durant went there).
And noting against CE, he almost got us to the promised land, but his quick shots were driving me nuts. Next years team should be able to shoot at a higher percentage from the floor.
Purdue will just need to get the shots.

And noting against CE, he almost got us to the promised land, but his quick shots were driving me nuts. Next years team should be able to shoot at a higher percentage from the floor.
Purdue will just need to get the shots.

what exactly is wrong with quick shots. they're not necessarily bad shots

what exactly is wrong with quick shots. they're not necessarily bad shots
Obviously the type of team you have and the type of shot that is taken can alter between an acceptable quick shot and not. Relative to "quick" without a baseline comparison...anything shot before the team anticipates "could" be shot too quickly. Lot of variables go into the "quick shot" being okay and not and so the clock is not the ultimate decision...

I really hope not.

This is a lazy take that I assume you heard on a podcast. I'd take DeAndre hunter any day. Players want to win. Any player who doesnt want to play d probably shouldn't come to Purdue anyway

I really hope not.
It’s a defense not stall ball offense. It’s just a variation of regular man to man. Do you know anything about basketball at all? A lot of teams use the pack line.

No. Hunter is a top 10 pick. Maybe top 5. Jerome, guy and Blondie will all play in league for multiple years.

The key is Jerome. To be able to execute that well and get good shots that late in the shot clock consistently is insane. You need the players to replicate the philosophy. Don't think it will become a new sensation or anything

Not sure about Guy and being in the league for many years. We’ll see. His size may really hurt him. Kid is obviously a stud, and will likely play pro ball for a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT