ADVERTISEMENT

Is Landrey the last JUCO to play at Purdue?

Just wondering why Painter doesn't go that route more often.
I think it’s due to the rise of the graduate transfer. Painter has preferred to go that route. Jucos normally have some baggage that grad transfers don’t have and they are more of a known commodity.

He did sit out a year. Was a mid year guyIIRC. Was eligible to play starting in January of the season
Yes. White transferred from UConn during the middle of his redshirt sophomore year. He burned a year of eligibility due to the transfer. Played most of the second semester of his redshirt junior year at Purdue, then disappeared for what would have been his redshirt senior season.

I think it’s due to the rise of the graduate transfer. Painter has preferred to go that route. Jucos normally have some baggage that grad transfers don’t have and they are more of a known commodity.
The baggage thing isn't really true anymore. I've sent players to JUCO to get them more playing time. My neighbor's son has now played two years of JUCO and signed with Illinois State for his final two years. Never had grade issues, great kild...just wasn't ready for D1. He's also playing in California this summer.

The baggage thing isn't really true anymore. I've sent players to JUCO to get them more playing time. My neighbor's son has now played two years of JUCO and signed with Illinois State for his final two years. Never had grade issues, great kild...just wasn't ready for D1. He's also playing in California this summer.
I don't mean to disparage any JUCO players, but there are basically two reasons players go that route. One is exactly as you said, they just aren't ready for D1. They certainly can develop and be worthy of a high major scholarship, but I think there is still some risk since they are playing against mostly other players who also are not D1 ready. With the rise in Grad Transfers, I think you feel better with a player that has done it against other D1 competition including high major competition.

The second reason for going JUCO and the main one for high major prospects is that they could not qualify for the school they chose or some off the court issue kept offers from coming in. This is still an issue with top JUCO prospects and presents some risks. Below is the top three JUCOs according to JUCORecruiting.com.

1. Chris Duarte, Originally committed out of HS to WKU and Rick Stansbury but could not get accepted.
2. Gaige Prim, Started at a D2 school, but was released and went Juco.
3. Cam Mack, Enrolled at Stephen F Austin, but quit before the first seanson. Immediately enrolled at a JUCO but withdrew again before playing a game. Spent this season at a second JUCO.

So to summarize, I think the top JUCO players still have a higher amount of risk than Grad Transfers. Just my opinion, but Painter seems to go that route more often these days also. They all could be great people, I don't know them personally.

has enough time elapsed that we can ask the real reason why Ewing was asked to leave the team? he supposedly had a lot of talent, but we never saw it at Purdue.

ADVERTISEMENT