ADVERTISEMENT

Is it still too early to question the offensive scheme?

RegionWarrior101

Junior
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2014
2-1-9
We were bad again offensively, granted we jumped up all the way to 108th this season. True we had injuries, but facts are facts, Northwestern and IU were bad teams and they looked like the "Steel Curtain" against us. Looking at the career of our OC as an OC and here you have it...

2014 - Purdue - 108th in Total Offense - 3-9

2013 - Purdue - 122nd in Total Offense - 1-11

2011 - North Carolina - 49th in Total Offense - 7-6 FIRED (Due to academic scandal)

2010 - North Carolina - 46th in Total Offense - 8-5

2009 - North Carolina - 99th in Total Offense - 8-5 (Vacated)

2008 - North Carolina - 84th in Total Offense - 8-5 (Vacated)

2007 - North Carolina - 105th in Total Offense - 4-8

2006 - Oakland Raiders - 30th in NFL in Total Offense - 2-14 FIRED

2003 - Chicago Bears - 28th in the NFL in Total Offense - 7-9 FIRED

2002 - Chicago Bears - 29th in the NFL in Total Offense - 4-12

2001 - Chicago Bears - 26th in NFL in Total Offense - 13-3

"Good" years at UNC were in the 40s against ACC defenses and that was with 6-7 NFL players on the offense at the time. We do not have a Hakeem Nicks on this roster. Almost as concerning is the development or lack thereof of the QBs. Two seasons and two spring balls and they seem to look as if no progress has been made. Add in the fact that 58% of the offense graduates including 78% of our rush offense and it has to cause concern.

If selling seats is a big deal, a 3-9 team that puts up points and yards will draw more fans than a 3-9 team that stuggles to hit 21 points. 7 games where 17 or less points were scored. Yowsers.

Originally posted by RegionWarrior101:

We were bad again offensively, granted we jumped up all the way to 108th this season. True we had injuries, but facts are facts, Northwestern and IU were bad teams and they looked like the "Steel Curtain" against us. Looking at the career of our OC as an OC and here you have it...

2014 - Purdue - 108th in Total Offense - 3-9

2013 - Purdue - 122nd in Total Offense - 1-11

2011 - North Carolina - 49th in Total Offense - 7-6 FIRED (Due to academic scandal)

2010 - North Carolina - 46th in Total Offense - 8-5

2009 - North Carolina - 99th in Total Offense - 8-5 (Vacated)

2008 - North Carolina - 84th in Total Offense - 8-5 (Vacated)

2007 - North Carolina - 105th in Total Offense - 4-8

2006 - Oakland Raiders - 30th in NFL in Total Offense - 2-14 FIRED

2003 - Chicago Bears - 28th in the NFL in Total Offense - 7-9 FIRED

2002 - Chicago Bears - 29th in the NFL in Total Offense - 4-12

2001 - Chicago Bears - 26th in NFL in Total Offense - 13-3

"Good" years at UNC were in the 40s against ACC defenses and that was with 6-7 NFL players on the offense at the time. We do not have a Hakeem Nicks on this roster. Almost as concerning is the development or lack thereof of the QBs. Two seasons and two spring balls and they seem to look as if no progress has been made. Add in the fact that 58% of the offense graduates including 78% of our rush offense and it has to cause concern.

If selling seats is a big deal, a 3-9 team that puts up points and yards will draw more fans than a 3-9 team that stuggles to hit 21 points. 7 games where 17 or less points were scored. Yowsers.
This is actually all I care about. If you can develop a qb, he can lead and audible the rest of the offense. If you regress their play into not being able to throw a ten yard pass...

I dont think its too early to judge at all, but I didnt think that last year either and seem nearly alone in that.

I would say ones ability to identify talent you didnt recruit, motivate them, and put them in an effective scheme would be the most vital skill to have in power 5 coaching. I see scheme as the output of all this. Taking a preset scheme and forcing players into it is very risky.

His offense is too damn complicated. It takes 4 to 5 years to learn it. How many college kids have that kind of time?

It fools the offense more often than is fools the defense.

This post was edited on 12/9 8:21 PM by JoeZap

That is what it looked like

As a Bears follower also seeing the 4 yard routes on 3rd and 7 is a favorite.

You bring up an excellent point, Joe Zap... the players do look confused. They are probably not as talented, but they are not playing with confidence either, maybe thinking too much. Looked especially that way on pass plays with QBs holding the ball too long and being tentative- double clutching. The one man routes were not helping much.

Seeing his NFL success I am not sure it is easy for Pros to learn either.

Re: That is what it looked like

Yeah, even his "success" is deceiving. Tons of NFL talent on those teams on offense and he only mustered total offensive finishes in the 40s. Those Tar Heel defenses were pretty salty too while Butch Davis was there.

Looks to me that we've got a guy who has NEVER achieved at the top of his field, even when given better talent.

I will most likely not be watching Purdue Football 2015 if Shoop is here.

SINK WITH SHOOP! I think that's Haz's new motto!

Shoop needs a job on TV with a telestrater so he can impress with his offensive wizardry. TV is where coaches that talk a good game but can't put it on the field end up. Looks like he's passed his interview for the job with flying colors.

Thanks for the stats RegionWarrior...............LOL!!!!!!!! Now I feel even worse! Those are some god awful numbers. How in the &*&* has this guy stuck around anywhere for so long? Don't even know if he is qualified to coach 9th grade football.........

One thing we do know, if he coached 9th grade football they wouldn't have a good offense either...they could just tell their friends they were coached by an NFL and College wash out with creepy eyes and a beard even their mothers couldn't love.

He must interview well.

That is all I can figure. The NFL is well-known for being the "old boy" network- you see complete goofs have long NFL coaching careers. My favorite example is Joe Cullen- I think he was arrested twice in a year, once for DUI, once for going through a drive thru restaurant with no pants on when coaching the Detroit Lions. Well, Joe Cullen is still in the league, now with Lovie Smith in Tampa. NFL you get fired and you will almost always get another NFL job. Granted you will go from one bad organization to another.

Shoop might be a "Beautiful Mind" type genius who sounds incredible but is almost nuts when you have to work with him. I think and have heard from people from his Bears days that he is an incredibly nice person. I think he his genuine where some guys preach family, religion, going to class but behind closed doors do not care. I think Shoop is like that and genuine.

TV is a good idea, but I am not sure how he would perform there. He is different. When you watch interviews he reminds me of Dennis Hopper's character Shooter in "Hoosiers." I had hoped he might jump again for a shot in the NFL but I can't see him getting a coordinator job, but could see him as a QB coach. I don't think he is going to leave an OC job for a position gig though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT